JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, there is now a cable show called Portlandia which basically satires the west coast. Their debut episode features Steve Bushemi being hassled by hippies who operate a feminist bookstore. It is filmed in the actual feminist bookstore collective In Other Words up on Killingsworth who I have good relations with and sometimes organize group shooting events among their volunteers. Prominently displayed on their main bookshelf during the segment is a copy of American Gun Culture Report. I'm glad Hollywood decided to stay authentic and not remove something many people might think out of place.

Sweet, my friends & I have been looking forward to this, great that you can watch the full first episode on IFC's site http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/ . Carrie Brownstein was on OPB's LiveWire variety show last night, and the parody of uber-stereotype Portlanders complaining about the show was gut-busting funny(everyone worked in a feminist bookstore and was a part-time barista :) ). Being a gun lovin' record producing former barista who rides a trike, I only wish they'd cast me in the show :s0114:. Awesome they showed AGCR magazine!!

I can't stand this show. My brother is only two years younger than me, with a BA, and still doesn't work. The majority of his friends don't work. The only one I can think of that has a job tells everyone that he's a "chef". He has a part time job cooking food at a retirement center.

Anyway, my brother was telling me about the show, so I decided to watch it thinking "Oh God, just another way for him and his friends to justify their lifestyle." I called him up the next day and had him put me on speakerphone. I then had to explain to him and his friends that the show is a satire and they are making fun of them. They still didn't want to believe me. When I brought up the chickens, one of his friends said something along the lines of "I guess you don't care what you eat, but I like to know where my food comes from." WTF is wrong with people?

I can't stand this show. My brother is only two years younger than me, with a BA, and still doesn't work. The majority of his friends don't work. The only one I can think of that has a job tells everyone that he's a "chef". He has a part time job cooking food at a retirement center.

Anyway, my brother was telling me about the show, so I decided to watch it thinking "Oh God, just another way for him and his friends to justify their lifestyle." I called him up the next day and had him put me on speakerphone. I then had to explain to him and his friends that the show is a satire and they are making fun of them. They still didn't want to believe me. When I brought up the chickens, one of his friends said something along the lines of "I guess you don't care what you eat, but I like to know where my food comes from." WTF is wrong with people?

Yeah, I'll tend to agree - there were a couple chuckling moments, but by and large, the show was just full of insufferable, awkward PDX stereotypes. Didn't find it that funny at all.

Its Portland,, what can you say?

I don't want to offend any of you good folks that are still there by choice, or other,,BUT, I would rather BBQ a road killed skunk than move back there. It was a great place to be during the 60's and 70's, but that was a long time ago:s0140:

I had high hopes based on their 90's musical introduction which featured people I know and I thought really hit the nail on the head as far as capturing PDX. The rest of the show could have been better. It wasn't so much a satire on Portland as the NW in general or stereotypical liberals anywhere.

Yeah i felt the show was funny over all.... even though it was kinda sad see the true aspects they brought up. I'll keep up watching it none the less.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top