JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings,

I don't get real excited about much, but this has opened a door to lots of CHEAP quiet .300 shooting for me.

I met Travis of T&B at the Albany Show and got a sample of 100 ct 225 grain polycoated, sized .309 blackout projectiles for $18. They will ship you these bullets for like $112/1000.

I have been playing with various other heavies and found them to be much more expensive (Rainier/BOBS/Ballistic tip Noslers/SMK/ etc)

You have to bell the cases to seat them.

I tried various powders and lengths and crimps (12 variations) and with a little guidance from Travis came up with the following:

Cases: Mixed 556/223 cut down, sized and trimmed to 1.360".
Primer: CCI Small Rifle Standard
Powder: CFE BLK 12.0 grains
COAL: 2.250
Crimp: Lee FCD medium/light

Velocities were 1048/1066/1063/1066/1049 for this load. Cycled perfect and LRBO.

Could you trim this down with same lot individually weighed cases? individually weighed bullets? Probably, but that's not what this is about.

I had various success with other combos but this was the best for consistency for me, in my rifle, and my can.

My rifle: 10.5" 1:8
My can: Silencerco Harvester
Optic: Aimpoint M68 CCO

I was shooting at 50 yards with an inconsistent wind and using a 6" shoot-n-see which allowed me to get somewhat close to matching the red dot to the center of something. I'm not David Tubb, and this isn't an F-Class rifle, just a silent CHEAP plinker that rains death on nutria, digger squirrels and medium range steel targets. So when you see the target don't say, oh I could do better with my XXXX, that's not what this is about.

Could you do it with a 225 grain sub that sounds like a air rifle at the muzzle with a red dot for $3.60 a box?

I highly recommend trying these out. Travis is great and he has a whole host of other projectiles from 32 ACP to 45/70 which I cant speak to, but I'm going to try.

Local, great results and all around good people. Gets the Deavis stamp of approval!

If you don't load..... he will sell you loaded ammo as a licensed manufacturer!

From my phone:

5 shot group.

317C978F-4924-4308-8EDC-F76F5BFEA3CE.jpeg

Thanks for the report. I met him a couple years ago at the Albany gun show. Good looking product, and seemed like a good guy to do business with. At that time, I don't think he offered a coated bullet option, but said that he was moving that direction IIRC. Glad to hear about the coated BLK bullet option.

I have been working off my supply of Leatherhead 220 grain coated lead bullets, which have worked well for plinking in the two 300 BLK bolt guns I have tried them in. Leatherhead merged with Gallant in Utah. I haven't tried any of their current offerings. Good to know there is a more local option for this type of bullet, and the price is fair.

I tried 4227, CFE BLK, 1680, and Lil Gun powder I'm my rifle with this type of bullet for a subsonic load. I think that I got the best results with Lil Gun and 1680.

I use a Lee precision universal case expanding die. After seating the bullet, I use a Lee factory crimp die to remove the bell at the case mouth.

I met Travis about 7 years back at an Albany show. He used to sell .357 125gr for $50/1000. I would shoot 38 special for less than what .22lr was running at the time. Still use his stuff, but the price has almost doubled.

Thanks for starting this thread! I have not been able to get better than a 4" group at 50yrds with polybullets out of my 7 1/2" BO barrel. Only shooting supressed subs. Tried several weights (200 to 220) of Eggleston and Leatherhead. Frustration led to trying jacketed Hornady 208gr=under and inch at 50yrd with 1680 powder at 1030fps. Like you I'm looking for a low cost plinking load.
I stumbled on an open box of 208's for $10 but that was luck. If you want to trade some bullets/powder for testing ... let me know.
I don't expect great accuracy but I draw the line at 2" at 50yrds. Shooting these quiet loads is serious fun...no?
Keep us posted on your future tests.

I use a Lee precision universal case expanding die. After seating the bullet, I use a Lee factory crimp die to remove the bell at the case mouth.
Thanks for the info. I've never "belled" the case mouth on a rifle cartridge before. Always interested in hearing different methods!

Greetings,

I don't get real excited about much, but this has opened a door to lots of CHEAP quiet .300 shooting for me.

I met Travis of T&B at the Albany Show and got a sample of 100 ct 225 grain polycoated, sized .309 blackout projectiles for $18. They will ship you these bullets for like $112/1000.

I have been playing with various other heavies and found them to be much more expensive (Rainier/BOBS/Ballistic tip Noslers/SMK/ etc)

You have to bell the cases to seat them.

I tried various powders and lengths and crimps (12 variations) and with a little guidance from Travis came up with the following:

Cases: Mixed 556/223 cut down, sized and trimmed to 1.360".
Primer: CCI Small Rifle Standard
Powder: CFE BLK 12.0 grains
COAL: 2.250
Crimp: Lee FCD medium/light

Velocities were 1048/1066/1063/1066/1049 for this load. Cycled perfect and LRBO.

Could you trim this down with same lot individually weighed cases? individually weighed bullets? Probably, but that's not what this is about.

I had various success with other combos but this was the best for consistency for me, in my rifle, and my can.

My rifle: 10.5" 1:8
My can: Silencerco Harvester
Optic: Aimpoint M68 CCO

I was shooting at 50 yards with an inconsistent wind and using a 6" shoot-n-see which allowed me to get somewhat close to matching the red dot to the center of something. I'm not David Tubb, and this isn't an F-Class rifle, just a silent CHEAP plinker that rains death on nutria, digger squirrels and medium range steel targets. So when you see the target don't say, oh I could do better with my XXXX, that's not what this is about.

Could you do it with a 225 grain sub that sounds like a air rifle at the muzzle with a red dot for $3.60 a box?

I highly recommend trying these out. Travis is great and he has a whole host of other projectiles from 32 ACP to 45/70 which I cant speak to, but I'm going to try.

Local, great results and all around good people. Gets the Deavis stamp of approval!

If you don't load..... he will sell you loaded ammo as a licensed manufacturer!

Do you have direct link for the 225gr polycoated bullet you used?

Cast bullet shooters also use the Lyman M die to flare. I use the Lee Universal. A regular seating die will remove the flare. I've been casting and loading for the 30-06 for quite a while.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top