JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found this little rant on the web tonight. Its dated 2007, but I felt like sharing it. I'll include the web address, so you can read the few comments left about it.

Peacekeepers are desperate to stop all the shooting going on. There are too many people with AK-47 running around, firing at anything and everything. How to stop that? Simple. Outlaw 7.62x39 ammunition. Since the end of the Cold War in 1991, this rifle round has become the biggest killer on the planet. This is the ammo used in the AK-47 and the SKS carbine (a non-automatic rifle with a smaller magazine than the AK-47). You can't get all those weapons collected and destroyed. But you can sharply reduce the supply of ammo. Unlike the rifles, which last a long time, the ammo has a limited shelf life, and it tends to get used real quick. There are millions of half-century old rifles still out there, and many that go back nearly a century (to World War I). But ammo degrades rapidly, and people tend to use it. Empty rifles are basically awkward clubs, and left without ammo long enough, will be discarded by their owners.

Over twenty million AK-47s went on to the market after the Cold War ended. All those huge military establishments in communist nations were dissolved with the collapse of communism. The unneeded weapons were sold off, legally or illegally. Suddenly, angry people around the world had cheap automatic weapons. And cheap ammunition (10-20 cents a round for 7.62x39). Where before, tribal or warlord warfare was a lot of guys with spears, knives, machetes and bows, now they had automatic weapons. The old style warfare produced a low body count, because the weapons at hand were not all that effective, and it took a lot of courage to get up close and personal with that stuff. But an AK-47, and a few dollars worth of ammo, suddenly made turned any twelve year old kid into a mass murderer. Armed mayhem was now cheaper, and deadlier, and millions of people died in Africa, and elsewhere, as a result.

It's probably not practical to expect the 7.62x39 round to be successfully outlawed. Cocaine and heroin are illegal, and look at how much of that stuff is to be had. But the big difference here is that it's poor people who are getting this ammo, and killing each other with it. The illegal drug business is driven by huge demand in affluent nations.

The AK-47 is doing the most damage in poor countries. So if you make manufacture of the 7.62x39 illegal, most of the large producers will have to shut down, or face international sanctions. The small, outlaw, producers will make a lot of money, because suddenly 7.62x39 ammo will be real scarce, and the price will skyrocket. Not as much of the ammo will be available for all those weapons. Fewer bullets means fewer dead bodies. The poor users are not stupid, and they can count. Expensive ammo means you use the weapons less. That means fewer people get killed.
Kill the 7.62x39 and Save the World

.....so, what did you all think?

International sanctions are for the weak and fearful. Ammo is a lot easier to make and hide than firearms, and it really does not "degrade" that rapidly. It would make just as much sense to ban poverty and make it illegal for nations to be poor.

I fully disagree with the article. The effects of outlawing 7.62x39 would be more detrimental than penicillin. The last thing we need is more poor people running around causing trouble.

Another person that has NO concept of the real world. There is so much wrong with that I dont even know where to start.

To outlaw it there would have to be a global agreement and policing of it. Not every country would go along with that. What about the country's that still rely on it as a primary round?

Ammo life it not limited.

So apparently the "poor tribal" folks should not be allowed to defend themselves against oppression with anything other then "spears, knives, machetes and bows". So the guy is also, not sure the correct word but racist is the closest I can come up with.

Even in his own ranting he proves how dumb the idea of banning it is but still continues........

Dont forget the fact it is already illegal to kill people in most places.

There are the highlights.

Dumbest thing i have read in a very long time. The description of the sks proves the writer shouldn't be writing about topics relating to firearms.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

I agree that the writer is a tard, but he said: 'This is the ammo used in the AK-47 and the SKS carbine (a non-automatic rifle with a smaller magazine than the AK-47).' which is a decent description of the SKS.

As to the idea that ammo degrades rapidly, he's smoking crack. I'm currently using Yugo M67 from 1974. It works perfectly.

And if the commies made 100 million AK pattern rifles, they made billions and billions of cartridges.

H

Last time I checked an SKS IS an automatic rifle. It is not any other type of action that requires manual loading of a round. It is true that it is not a full automatic though.

ferris1.gif

Last time I checked an SKS IS an automatic rifle. It is not any other type of action that requires manual loading of a round. It is true that it is not a full automatic though.

Hardly anybody refers to self loading rifles as 'automatics'. People do use that term in relation to self loading pistols but that description usually doesn't carry over to long guns.

When you say automatic rifle to me you're implying full automatic fire.

H

the most stuped point of the story
Unlike the rifles, which last a long time, the ammo has a limited shelf life,
i have shot 99 year old ammo out of 100 year old guns
i have shot 1938 turk 8mm ammo that would split on the neck if you looked at it crosseyed after shooting it.
"IF' they tried that all that would happen is people would store up ammo and do less shooting

If you get rid of 7.62, the bad guys will just use another caliber. nGet rid of all guns world wide and the knowledge to make them, they'll use bombs, knives, rocks, cars, trucks, planes or thei own poop as weapons. People bent on doing evil won't be stopped because of ONE tool being taken from their arsenal - only the law abiding who would be their victims would. THAT is the logic that the gun grabbers just refuse to see - or see plainly and just don't give a damn just to further their agenda. It's not the weapon or round that is responsible for all those deaths - it was the PERSON using it. More innocent people died at the hands of their own governments than have been killed by terrorists or foreign invaders. How about instead of banning ONE caliber of ammunition, we ban stupid people, and power hungry jackwagons from ever holding political office or voting? How about we ban tyranny - it'd have the same (in)effect as banning AK's and 7.62x39mm ammo?

How about we, as a collective in our nation, vote out every incumbent and put people in office who will return our government to the size and shape outlined in the Constitution, and hold their feet to the fire when they try to grow it beyond it's legal constraints - instead of letting them take extra-constitutional powers and create agencies that would cause the founding fathers of our nation to rise up in revolution again? How about we stop letting the government grope and irradiate us at the airports in the name of "security"? How about we do away with the irrational Department of Homeland Security (which sounds like it should be part of the German government circa 1939-45 instead of the US government EVER)? How about we stop wasting money on things like the "war on drugs," get rid of agencies like the US Department of Education, the DEA, BATFE, the EEOC, etc. and their likes and let STATES handle things these agencies oversee - like the founders intended. Lets stop trying to play Team America: World Police and let other nations take care of things for a while.

While we're at it, lets ban the ineffectual United Nations and kick them the hell off of US soil. Their "sanctions" do squat other than make politicians slap each other's backs, and make black marketeers rich.

Lots of problems in the world - the 7.62x39mm round isn't one of them.

What? hey in the 80's the hootoo's tryed to wipe out the tootsie's in Rowanda africa ,3 million killed in 6 months. They were poor mostly hack and chopped with with clubs ,knives and whatever else they could fined. Not many gunshot deaths at all. So go try to save the world by makeing everyone eat with sporks, fool!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top