JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering if anyone here knows of a trainer or training group that teaches a stepped series of concealed carry courses (beginner, intermediate, advanced) specifically for sub-compact pistols such as the G43X, Springfield Hellcat, SIG 365 or Ruger Max-9?

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Aaron

No idea if your looking to travel but...

https://cerberus-training.com/ Foundation is a great start, Run the Gun if you are a bit more comfortable, other stuff as it comes up. Cerberus and the caliber of instructors that come out to run courses is 2nd to none, IMO.

https://www.fossprotection.com/ Friend of mine and one of the better trainers out there (can be a little hard to pin down as he instructs and runs courses for the Army, private security and WA CJTC among other things. He is EXCELLENT at custom building a course for where you are at in your training.

https://bellevuegunclub.com/handgun-classes/ These guys do a pretty decent job for canned range training. Stand alone classes are all right but they seem to start coming together when you take their courses in series.

Im sure there are many others, these are just my top few and who I have had the most experience with.

You might find yourself in a bit of a blank spot when it comes to training. Most training that I've seen is dictated by handgun capacity rather than size, so a G43X with a Shield mag should be able to hang with a G19. So you either have some sort of compact handgun that takes 10+ rounds, in which case you're in a regular handgun class where the person next to you is shooting a G17, or you're into backup gun training, where you have something like an LCP or a Sig P238 or P938 or maybe a J Frame. There's some good BUG classes out there, but you'll definitely need to travel for those, especially if you want to work on drawing from pocket carry or ankle carry or the like.

I've had students bring the mentioned sub-compact pistols and train right along side those with full size models.

Overall the training is the same, yet everyone gets detailed instruction per their chosen firearm and related equipment.

Not to split hairs...but there's no such thing as advanced training, there's just skills one hasn't learned yet.

I've sat in on quite a few after action debriefs from both LE and civilian. Have never heard anyone say, "Steve, that was an advanced gunfight I was in."

Not to split hairs...but there's no such thing as advanced training, there's just skills one hasn't learned yet.

I've sat in on quite a few after action debriefs from both LE and civilian. Have never heard anyone say, "Steve, that was an advanced gunfight I was in."
Thanks for the reply, I've sat through a number of them as well. No one ever called me 'Steve' :). However, my use of the word was correct.

Advanced:
  1. ahead or far or further along in progress, complexity, knowledge, skill, etc.: an advanced class in Spanish; to take a course in advanced mathematics; Our plans are too advanced to make the change now.
- Dictionary.com

I've had students bring the mentioned sub-compact pistols and train right along side those with full size models.

Overall the training is the same, yet everyone gets detailed instruction per their chosen firearm and related equipment.

Agree with this. Train with what you carry. Sometimes that may be full sized gun, other times it may be a compact model. I understand that some classes may not work great with a 5-shot J frame revolver, but most will work okay with a semiauto. See this frequently in classes, both taught and attended. @Cerberus Group it highly regarded on this forum based on many comments of attendees in the past, and it looks like his training will work with smaller guns...just plan on more mag changes, which is just more practice.

It's not uncommon to see the opposite; folks carrying full-sized guns they don't carry in holsters they don't use. To each their own of course.

Thanks for the reply, I've sat through a number of them as well. No one ever called me 'Steve' :). However, my use of the word was correct.

Advanced:
  1. ahead or far or further along in progress, complexity, knowledge, skill, etc.: an advanced class in Spanish; to take a course in advanced mathematics; Our plans are too advanced to make the change now.
- Dictionary.com
I apologize for using the words "...there's no such thing..." What I should have said; "I do not believe..."

Agree with this. Train with what you carry. Sometimes that may be full sized gun, other times it may be a compact model. I understand that some classes may not work great with a 5-shot J frame revolver, but most will work okay with a semiauto. See this frequently in classes, both taught and attended. @Cerberus Group it highly regarded on this forum based on many comments of attendees in the past, and it looks like his training will work with smaller guns...just plan on more mag changes, which is just more practice.

It's not uncommon to see the opposite; folks carrying full-sized guns they don't carry in holsters they don't use. To each their own of course.
I've made the comment to Steve in the past that people need to get out here with their J-frames and run this course, it would open their eyes to certain realities.

After posting in the "3 or 4" 357 Mag" thread, I got some PMs about interest in a wheel gun course.

I started in 1987 packing a S&W Model 10 38 special for the Park Service, then switched to a 686 when I went to the County S.O. The Sheriff's Office is where I ran 2 686s and a K frame into the ground.

Anyway...a revolver course is in the works.

Last Edited:
Will be making it as soon as I get caught up with the other calibers.

Bill Rapier of AmtacShooting might be using our stuff soon...so there's another instructor coming to the range next year.

Will be making it as soon as I get caught up with the other calibers.

Bill Rapier of AmtacShooting might be using our stuff soon...so there's another instructor coming to the range next year.
That is awesome, I was going to talk to you about Bill. Apparently he will be in the Goldendale area May 24-27 for a couple of classes, I am interested in taking a LPVO and precision rifle orientated classes with him.

After posting in the "3 or 4" 357 Mag" thread, I got some PMs about interest in a wheel gun course.

I started in 1986 packing a S&W Model 10 38 special for the Park Service, then switched to a 686 when I went to the County S.O. The Sheriff's Office is where I ran 2 686s and a K frame into the ground.

Anyway...a revolver course is in the works.
That is a course that I would travel to the dry side for.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top