JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Suggestions?

Not looking to break the bank here but I want to know some personal experiences on:

1. Personal experiences on packs
  2. What to look for
  3. What to avoid
  4. Quality brands
  5. Crap brands
Numbered these out for ease of responses of you are that type of a person.

I've been wanting a bag with an internal frame, weight on hip not shoulder (pack board style) and has flexibility to attach a few things inside or multiple compartments and is waterproof.

Thanks in advance.

I would probably just pick up a nice Gregory, Arcteryx or Osprey. You could get last year's model on clearance somewhere for under your budget. I have an REI XT85 that would be my BOB if it came to it as it contains all my backpacking gear.

Drago 3 day pack has been stellar for me, moved over to a voodoo enlarged scorpion range bag
(holds more than a pack).

Due to the ruggedness Ill probably get another Drago made pack.

I'm in the process of building a couple of kits for home and our vehicles. Since I'm more likely to be further from home in an emergency event, I'm prepping a larger kit for myself. I did some shopping online last year and ended up choosing a relatively inexpensive, but good quality internal frame pack. It's more comfortable than the packs we used to backpack when I was younger and seems to have sufficient storage for my needs.

As to your requirements, It does have a nice padded waist belt, internal frame, not expensive and has room inside and out, with some attachment points for extras if needed (not Molle though). It's not waterproof, but comes with a rainfly that can cover the pack if needed. Reviews I read said on it's own it's water resistant and will keep things dry for short spurts of rain.

I'm still in the process of loading it, so I don't have a full review myself, but I'm liking what I see so far.

It's made by Teton. It's rated 4 1/2 stars and has 835 reviews on Amazon. Current price is $64.00 http://smile.amazon.com/Sports-Expl...p/B001947FG8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

71Uaf7HguHL._SL1500_.jpg

71PR7xUFmGL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm in the process of building a couple of kits for home and our vehicles. Since I'm more likely to be further from home in an emergency event, I'm prepping a larger kit for myself. I did some shopping online last year and ended up choosing a relatively inexpensive, but good quality internal frame pack. It's more comfortable than the packs we used to backpack when I was younger and seems to have sufficient storage for my needs.

As to your requirements, It does have a nice padded waist belt, internal frame, not expensive and has room inside and out, with some attachment points for extras if needed (not Molle though). It's not waterproof, but comes with a rainfly that can cover the pack if needed. Reviews I read said on it's own it's water resistant and will keep things dry for short spurts of rain.

I'm still in the process of loading it, so I don't have a full review myself, but I'm liking what I see so far.

It's made by Teton. It's rated 4 1/2 stars and has 835 reviews on Amazon. Current price is $64.00 http://smile.amazon.com/Sports-Expl...p/B001947FG8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

View attachment 280544

View attachment 280545

Was looking at that one oddly enough....

image.jpeg I like a comfortable pack and one I can put allot of weight in!

I stumbled upon the Surplus USMC marplat pack at the surplus store in Boring. This is the most well made and comfortable pack ever. You can expand it out like this pic shows or cinch it down to small pack size. Lots of pockets, pocket for hydration system..
And for $75-100 you cannot go wrong.

I've bought one for each family member..although my 4'year old isn't quit big enough for it yet :eek:

But he will grow into it.

Last Edited:
Only 2packs I own are Badlands models.

The super day pack holds more then I can carry all day and has pistol holsters in the belt so you don't have to figure out what to strap it too.

Internal frame which is nice if it fits you and sucks if it doesn't.

I would hit some sporting goods stores or an expo and try a bunch on. The one that fits the best is the one I would take.

If your actually going to use it or drag it back and forth to the car, badlands will fix any damage or replace the pack free regardless of how it happened.

That's why I went with them, but mine is for hunting (so they are all in some kind of camo - a bonus in my book; I would be less likely to rob a hunter then I would be about robbing someone with a "hiking/backpacking" set up) in SHTF.

I think they are in the $120-$190 range though if it's something you may never use.

Used packs from thrift stores, resale stores, auction lots, surplus shops are the way to go..
I've had ALICE packs in both sizes, MOLLE Woodland packs of both types(standard 4 bag version and later 3 bag Large), a CFP90 Field Pack, a ww2 era 10th Mtn ruck, a few coleman Peak 1 packs, an Academy Broadway backpack, a Kelty Ridgeline internal frame pack, a Gregory UM21 SPEAR 3 day pack, the SDS Large Assault 3 day pack, a presumed locally made cordura clone of the ww2 10th mtn ruck with original 10th mtn ruck frame and some parts off it.. and a few homemade pack systems.. of these... I kept the Colemans, Academy Broadway frame, the UM21 pack, and the homemade and local clones.
Depending on your needs... sometimes the best is simplest. An USAF Kit Bag/Flyers Bag/B2 Bag works pretty good if you keep everything in smaller sacks as a vehicle bag (toss into trunk or back of truck); and can use an USGI Duffel bag for your longer items (shelter and poles n such). I am considering making a new pack out of coated 330D Cordura or 200D Oxford Nylon that will work with the Coleman Large frames I have and specifically for my needs (panel loading, internal MOLLE or pockets and lower profile than military bags and civilian looking colors).
For shorter trips, or up to 3 days, the UM21 3 day pack works awesome for me. But so does my homemade Mossy Oak Original gigantic lumbar pack with MOLLE pouches added to it..

For an INCH bag system with a motor vehicle, the USGI flyers bag or two of them plus the duffel bag all go into the trunk, or cargo net or cargo basket of the car. The 3 day pack comes along as a patrol type/bare essentials bag but the flyers bags and the duffel bag brings along the rest of the gear as needed.

We have a couple of Goodwill specials. One a bit heavier than the other. My wife and I are pretty much together any time away from home. I have a tactical vest in the rigs as well. I would wear that and the lighter pack and she would take the heavier one.

We make no illusions that our age we are not doing a 20 mile hike in a day. Two days would be a stretch. Our packs are more designed to be used in conjunction with NOT getting separated from our vehicle.

These packs, a long gun, the dog, his support stuff go pretty much every where.

I like the surplus camo pack above, can't see much reason to spend $200 on a pack that will be used once, to get home on.

I've actually used this bag for hunting the last few years! I am impressed! Loaded it down with meat and my rifle and worn it all day long...I had 150 pounds in it:eek:
Went back and got another load!

Arc'tyrex, Marpat ILBE USMC gen 2 is the way to go. VERY comfortable with the ability to modify, add to as well as replace items worn out (hip/shoulder straps/pads).

And yes, you should be using your pack. DO NOT pack it up and set it aside for some horrible day. Know the pack, know what it feels like to carry for days and know the use of the equipment you have contained within.

eta: they can be had for under $100... a smoking deal!

Last Edited:
Dunno, but I still like the "old school" ALICE packs. You can haul a LOT of kit, and they come in small, medium, and large.
Agreed! I have one of these and it's very comfortable to wear. You can get the real military issue type on Amazon for $49.98 or $69.99 for the pack and the frame. You an also buy an ALICE Frame Shelf that clips onto the pack frame and allows you to carry something heavy like a car battery.

Dunno, but I still like the "old school" ALICE packs. You can haul a LOT of kit, and they come in small, medium, and large.

I have a medium ALICE a buddy game me like 20 years ago. Updated it a padded Woodland camo belt for about 20 bucks or so on line. Everything else I had or bought. All up maybe $100.00 including emergency crank radio/flashlight in to it. Currently where I live I don't plan on BO. If I get a job I am up for an interview this week, then my whole paradigm shifts and I have to wrap my head around that. (the things we do for love).
I currently carry a 3 day pack in my truck but then I could walk home from work in 3 hours unless it was contested.. So plus one for ALICE.

Brutus Out

I would not get any pack that goes above your shoulders. Try going prone with one and you will quickly find out why; they stuff your face into the ground and make it nearly impossible to look forward.

Eta: +1 for an Alice pack.

I would not get any pack that goes above your shoulders. Try going prone with one and you will quickly find out why; they stuff your face into the ground and make it nearly impossible to look forward.

Eta: +1 for an Alice pack.
Thank you for that. Never thought about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top