JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This isn't my first gun safe, but it's by far the best. The fit and finish of this Sturdy Safe are amazing - you couldn't fit a razor blade into the door gap, much less a pry bar. I can heave the massive door closed and the air pressure inside stops it cold before it slams. Amazing.

I'm getting ahead of myself - A lot of research went into buying this Big. Steel. Box. and the results always came up the same: get a bigger one. No matter how big of one you're planning on getting, get a bigger one. It'll pay off down the road in a lower cost per cubic foot of safe storage. Or were you planning on not buying any more toys and getting rid of all that stuff?? :p

I ended up going with a Sturdy Safe out of Fresno, CA, a family-owned company that doesn't spend money on advertising, depending on word-of-mouth instead. Looking at this product, I feel that I owe them a good review. This thing is an excellent value.
http://www.sturdysafe.com/

If you've researched safes, you know they tend to fall into the tin box/gun safe category and the OMGOMFG TL-15/TL-30 monster category. This one I found is in between, with a 7 ga. box, a quarter-inch front plus a hard plate, a custom relocker mechanism, and lightweight ceramic-wool fireproofing. It's that ceramic wool that makes the whole thing manageable, although it's still way too heavy to move without a trained crew. But you know, a conventional TL-30 with half the internal volume would've weighed more than my Honda - no exaggeration.

So here's my review: don't waste your time in the race to the bottom with those tin boxes that Costco sells as safes - they can be opened by a determined tweaker in minutes, using only hand tools. If you're going to lock it up, then lock it up. But unless you've got a crate of gold bullion to protect, you don't want to deal with a standard burglary-type TL-30 safe either; they're just too expensive, too heavy, and too ridiculous.

Check out the Sturdy Safe Company and decide for yourself - I'm writing this because unless you searched long and hard like I did, you never would have stumbled upon them. I have no association with the company except as a new customer.

Lock-picking those cheap tin boxes makes them look even worse:
It's amazing that a loopy clown like this speaker can so easily crack the locks on "gun vaults."

I'm planning on a Sturdy when I get home. I would order it now but I don't think my wife would appriciate having to move and set that beast up without me there, lol. Only decision now is if I want to go with the fireproof lining or not. My house is located with a hydrant directly across the street and the fire station is less than a 3 minute response time.

If you intend to store any significant quantity of ammo in it, then yes, sport for the very expensive ceramic wool lining.

I've had my Big. Metal. Box. for long enough to share a second look: it's made better than I initially thought. I'm used to just heaving the door shut now, since it's airtight enough to slow the door with a whoosh before it can slam. The door slows to a creep, then drifts shut on its own. It's a much better closing technique than wrapping your fingers around the edge! I won't make that mistake again.

I've always preferred dial locks to electronics, and I paid the extra $20 to get the one with the key lock in the dial. That way if someone were to force the key lock they'd break the inside of the dial, and it'd be game over. That's my main fear, actually: that some numbnutz tweeker banging on it would end up triggering the relocker and make it impossible for me to open.

I actually keep my ammo stored in a separate area than guns due to amount of it. Wouldn't have any room for the guns in the safe if I had it all in there, lol!

I'm with you on dial locks over electronics, any day!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top