JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just getting ready to do my first hand loading. I didnt put it together that the rcbs .45 AR RN die set is not for ACP. the "AR" notation wasnt just there for looks apparently - "AR" as in Auto Rim. I only caught it cause i noticed the "use with shell holder #8" on the box after i picked up a #3 (for 45acp) at the store and started asking questions, and finally looked up what uses a #8.

so heres my stupid question - can i use the die with SH#3 to do 45acp?

From another forum:
45 Auto Rim is 45ACP with a rim on the back to avoid having to use moon clips in 45ACP revolvers. You can shoot 45 AR in a 45ACP REVOLVER without fussing with the moon clips. Great for the range. I understand that reloading for 45 AR (if you are already setup for 45 ACP is pretty painless.

Sounds like it may very well work... but keep in mind that the RN stands for round nose.
You will want to acquire another seater die for the wad cutters.

Just be sure to make a few dummys and test for going into full battery before you do live rounds. Much safer to tweak that way.
I have also found using a very lite taper crimp stop any issues with case mouth snaging on ocassion. It is amazing what 4 or 5 thousandths of an inch will do.

hey thanks guys. the 45ar dies do not say "taper crim" on them like the instructions in the die box say they would if they were, sooooooo. . .

I had the same confusion on crimp dies. A pretty good rule of thumb I have started using is

If it is a semi auto use taper crimp. If it is a revolver use a roll crimp
Die makers make it simple for guys like me.. The dies are made for the correct type crimp fot the cartridge. A 9mm, 40 sw, 45 acp will be a taper crimp.
38 spl, 45 long colt 41mag would use a roll crimp.

I begin crimping 45's because I would have, from the same batch of rounds about 1 in 20 or so stick and not go into battery. Had a knowledgeable guy explain to me that you want a coke bottle like feel on the round. I put less then 5/1000 of taper crimp and problem is gone

thank you mark, very clear. however, the 45ar is a 45acp round for use in the M1917 revolver, so does my die taper crimp (cause its a 45acp) or roll (cause its for the M1917, a revolver)? bwah ha ha ha! why do i always have to do things the hard way the first time?

i guess another way to answer this question is whether the 45ar headspaces on the rim or the mouth? if it headspaces on the rim, it would be a taper crimp and the rim serves NO purpose other than as an integrated shim (eliminating the moon clips needed when using 45acp rounds in the M1917).

FYI: some s&w m1917 revolvers has stepped chambers to permit mouth headspacing 45acp in emergencies. I have seen pictures of 45ar with both roll and taper crimps here (about 1/3 of the way down):

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/162307-what-difference-between-roll-crimp-taper-crimp.html

those were built with different seater dies, correct? (besides because of the different bullet profiles)

wheel guns headspace off the rim. auto headspace off the mouth of the case. If it was me I would run a small bath with a roll crimp and test them. In geberal I roll crimp for wheelguns.

I"m pretty sure that push come to shove,you can apply enough crimp with that set to function ok,but the correct set of dies would be a whole lot better way to go.
A test round or two will tell the tale.

When it comes to crimping I don't use any seater die for the crimp stage anymore. I use the LEE Factory Crimp Die, especially on all my auto-load pistol calibers. The Factory Crimp die for these cartridges is easily adjustable for the amount of crimp you desire and it also makes sure there are no "bumps" that will keep the cartridge from fully chambering. This is done with a "sizing ring" at the mouth of the die that "irons out" any bulges or the like. Gives a nice finished round that will chamber every time. A good finish step. I use one on Station 5 on my Dillon progressive so I don't even notice that this finish step is being done. For single stage loaders it doesn't take much time to run all the finished rounds through this step. I do it when I do my final inspection on all my rifle rounds that I still load "single stage".

Another thumbs up for the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I also use mine in station 5 on my Dillon and like deadshot2 said, it's extremely easy to set up and it does a fantastic job. At around $15, it's a bargain.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top