JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You must not be much of a horse trader and definitely nor Portagee. It's all in the iron and wood you've got for trade fodder, and what interests you. I'm a milsurp C&R type and keep a bunch of SKS for that purpose.The last great trade I did was 2 ratty (one Bubba) SKSs ($200 ea) and 2 Big 5 91/30s ($75 ea) for an SVT40, 300 rounds ammo, and spares. He was asking $1400, but paid $350 back in the day. Three years ago. PAX

Not at all. I tried doing the gunshow table thing until I realized I have more of the attitude of a south central LA drug dealer than a gunshow guy. "Wanna buy it or not? No? Move the f*** on!" I hate gunshow tire kickers and gun history "teachers". They pick up your gun with an almost pedophilic leer and tell you how a proof mark indicates a time in history where the guy had a smashed thumb and had to use the opposite hand,
causing a highly desirable crooked proof. Yeah, I don't care. Wanna buy it or not?

Because trading is one of the only ways of avoiding the exorbitant price gouging right now. The problem still remains that the other party will typically value your gun at far less than what is was worth pre-panic pricing, while they value their trade at ridiculous levels and try to throw in comparisons on gunbroker of special editions or some other comparison that is not apples to oranges.

Last Edited:
I think more people need to cultivate the art of trading, sooner than later.

Growing up in the South, my family always had a stand at the local flea market. As kids, we learned how to trade and negotiate. When I was in the Navy, my friends would ask me to go with them when they were buying a car. One car salesman asked point blank who I was, I told him "This is my Brother, and I'm here because you have a whole group of people that you have to get the ok from. Sales manager, finance manager, shift manager what have you..." My buddy got a great price.

Nothing wrong with trading, if its not for you, then don't take it.

In the modern world, we've become accustomed to walking into a store and paying the price that rings up at the checkout.

Not so much with guns pre- Covid virus. Guns were one of the things that were very often price dickered over. Even Cabela's sometimes used to chop price on used guns. The gun shows, asking for "your best price" was almost automatic. Worst the guy can do is say no.

throw in comparisons on gunbroker

Well, those prices are real world. When people are willing to pay them, they are real. Pre-Covid, Gunbroker prices tended to lead the pack and still do. It's a different market. People paying those prices want specific things and are willing to pay to get what they want. Without going all over Hell and half of Georgia looking for it, and without having to bargain and dicker. Just press the bid button. Smaller venues, lots of buyers aren't necessarily looking for a certain item as they are looking for a deal.

I've been in the process of liquidating most of my holdings for close to two years. Before Covid, I sold mostly on Armslist. With ordinary guns, I'd meet the buyer within reasonable driving distance and do the business at an FFL. Unusual or rare guns, I'd put up on Gunbroker. Since Covid, most of my sales have been on Gunbroker. Even what I'd consider ordinary guns. Because buyers on GB are willing to pay more, plain and simple. Recently a gun that I figured would sell for maybe $750 locally has sold for over $2,000 on GB. I'm gonna sell locally to be a good guy? And give up the difference of $1,250? No, I'm gonna sell for what I can get so I can do some things for my own family. Or leave it to my wife.

Oh, I forgot. The NRA wants me to leave it to them in my will. Guess I'll do that. So Wayne can buy a few new suits.

One thing is very real. People are paying stupid money for every kind of asset these days. Stocks, real estate, new trucks, guns, you name it. Way too much money around, credit too easy to gain access to it.

One thing is very real. People are paying stupid money for every kind of asset these days. Stocks, real estate, new trucks, guns, you name it. Way too much money around, credit too easy to gain access to it.

Yep. This feels a lot like the early 2000's to me. I wonder if we're a few years away from another 2008.

Yep. This feels a lot like the early 2000's to me. I wonder if we're a few years away from another 2008.
I think it will be alot worse than 2008. We have lost SOOO many small businesses that it hasn't even hit home yet. :s0001: I have a feeling what we are about to go through will make the Great Depression look like summer camp. Buckle up and hold on. It's gonna be a rough few yrs:(

Slight tangent.
How many ways can you trade down and realize some satisfaction?
1. Get a lower value item in trade for your higher value item, and increase the "combat effectiveness " of someone close to you. Neighbor, family member, maybe part of your crew, lol.
2. Take the hit on $$ , but help a noob get into firearms. Because every vote counts.

I've been in the process of liquidating most of my holdings for close to two years. Before Covid, I sold mostly on Armslist. With ordinary guns, I'd meet the buyer within reasonable driving distance and do the business at an FFL. Unusual or rare guns, I'd put up on Gunbroker. Since Covid, most of my sales have been on Gunbroker. Even what I'd consider ordinary guns. Because buyers on GB are willing to pay more, plain and simple. Recently a gun that I figured would sell for maybe $750 locally has sold for over $2,000 on GB. I'm gonna sell locally to be a good guy? And give up the difference of $1,250? No, I'm gonna sell for what I can get so I can do some things for my own family. Or leave it to my wife.

Oh, I forgot. The NRA wants me to leave it to them in my will. Guess I'll do that. So Wayne can buy a few new suits.

Can you advise the best way for me to get onto Gunbroker? I have a couple of rare firearms to sell that I don't believe anyone local would want to pay the $ for. How does the money work? Is there a way to optimize it so that I get the most out of the firearms?

Once you set up a Gunbroker account you get verified to sell. I would sell some smaller items first to build up a positive feedback history. Buyers will be reluctant to bid big numbers for a rare item with a brand new seller without any feedback to provide confidence.

For the highest prices on rare or mint in box firearms, I would contact Jack the Dog consignments out in Hillsboro.
He consistently sells firearms for way more then you could on a private listing through GunBroker.
His reputation of 100% positive sales and outstanding photography help push the bids higher then any other venue I've seen.

http://www.jackthedog.net/

People can be "cash poor" but have interesting guns/things of value to trade in lieu of coughing up the bucks outright.

My only beef with the whole trading concept, regardless of the merchandise (vehicles, kayaks, guitars, etc.), is when someone responds to a sale ad with, "Looks good ru open to trades what do u want."

Done two trades on this board:

Traded a used Glock G40 MOS (10mm) for a used Benelli M3 (12g) - very happy with that trade. :cool:

Traded a CZ Scorpion Mini for a 2019 model Stainless Steel Desert Eagle in 50AE w/ the lower front pic rail. - happy with that trade. (the current market for the CZ Mini however is hitting $1600 but the Degale in SS is still $1900)

For the highest prices on rare or mint in box firearms, I would contact Jack the Dog consignments out in Hillsboro.
He consistently sells firearms for way more then you could on a private listing through GunBroker.
His reputation of 100% positive sales and outstanding photography help push the bids higher then any other venue I've seen.

http://www.jackthedog.net/

Thanks, that looks pretty good. Love the page that says:

jackthedog.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go "

People can be "cash poor" but have interesting guns/things of value to trade in lieu of coughing up the bucks outright.

My only beef with the whole trading concept, regardless of the merchandise (vehicles, kayaks, guitars, etc.), is when someone responds to a sale ad with, "Looks good ru open to trades what do u want."
Speaking of cash poor and beef, some guy on Craigslist wanted to give me beef (giggity) for my pickup.
Yea no

Sometimes trading is just easier, cheaper, and no long wait times (shipping). Once I find what I'm looking for which can take months, the item I have listed for trade becomes a sell. There are Pros and Cons to both arguments.

Trades are more about perceived value rather than actual price though that might be in the negotiations to a point at least. Case in point, I like 1911's better than Glocks in general. So on any trade with me the guy with the 1911 would go to the head of the line over the Glock guy no matter what the actual cost of either. I would look at both but favor the 1911. To be fair, the Glock might over shadow the 1911 in my mind not for it's cash value but it's features, a set up for speed steel Glock race gun might interest me more than a plain jane rock island 1911 that I already have one of anyway, but it's not about which one costs more, it's about what I'd use it for. I've never owned a purpose built race gun so that might be fun to run.

Aside from enjoying the underappreciated art of horse trading (as others have mentioned), if your tastes tend toward the rare or expensive, you're often dealing with more experienced folks who have and want-to-have things that you'd not think to add to your trade interests.

For example, say they've got a pair of pre-ban Colt SAA ivory grips that they'd not be able to easily sell and don't have a ton of money in. They need 1000 rounds of .45, which is difficult to find and overpriced when you do. Now you're both probably gonna have some fun and come away feeling like prom night.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top