JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm mostly just ranting, so bear with me :)

For obvious cost cutting reasons, it seems like all/most of the 500 series now goes without an action tube, they just build up ribs inside the forend grip to slide directly on the mag tube.

This works fine, although i'll be honest, doesn't feel as smooth as an older action tubed 500 i have access to, though it's had a lot more rounds through it than this new one....

However, try going for a nice new grip, then you've got problems, even with the older action tubed guns, it was too short for most after market 'tactical' type grips, but without the action tube, they're never going to fit :(

Short version, i'm a lot closer to the price of a 590 now i've spent the extra money on a new action tube, nut and grip :(

At least now you are getting the exact piece that fits your needs, right?

I do understand where you're coming from, but sometimes we have to spend a little more to make it exactly what we want, and when it comes to shotguns, the 500 is a workhorse.

How is the new action tube treating you?

Just wanted to update this in case anyone else fancies the upgrade.

I successfully fitted a magpul forend to the Mossberg 500. The requirements are the action tube for the 500/590, the castle nut for the tube and of course the grip.

Everything swaps out well and works perfectly, much nicer/more solid feeling pump now.

Nothing happening with the parts, they're just sat here i guess.

The problem with the 500's in more recent years, is that the forend doesn't have a tube, hence the requirement to fit one, well, if you want a replacement forend grip anyway. The stock version has extended ribs on the inside and it rides directly on the mag tube.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top