JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"could have" and "did" are a million miles apart.. and screw the bird.

stupid thing to do.. give them some community service, they won't do it again.

lol, this is exactly why the Sunnyside Police Chief was asked to resign in I think 2000 or 1999-ish.

He shot a Herring in "his pond" (the pond the Sunnyside tax payers paid for as an aesthetic sight for the police station) because it was eating "his fish".

Some people are just retarded.

Maybe it was attacking them. Or maybe they feared for their lives. Those are some bug birds, I'd be scared if one came toward me! Or maybe they thought their combo hunting license/tag was good for em'.

They shot at a bird in a tree? With rifle? In a densely populated area?

I hope they get what they deserve, and I hope they get it good and hard. And I hope what they get is made very public, too, to serve as a warning to other clueless idiots who might do similar things.

They shot at a bird in a tree? With rifle? In a densely populated area?

I hope they get what they deserve, and I hope they get it good and hard. And I hope what they get is made very public, too, to serve as a warning to other clueless idiots who might do similar things.

all those others who do similar things... yes, send a message to them.

remind me, though... how often does something like this happen?

never?

oh.. hmm.. maybe we shouldn't over-react and ruin some dumb kids lives over being dumb kids.

Dumb kids. Scare the crap out of them, have 'em pay for the bird's vet bills and do some community clean up, then let 'em go.

I remember a bunch of young drunk military men about 28 years ago in the middle of the Idaho desert shooting shotguns in the air at 2AM, including one really dumb one who fired several slugs in rapid succession out of a pistolgrip Mossberg before the sudden pain in his wrist even registered.

Keith (BTW I love animals and never hunt, in case you were wondering about the lack of sensitivity in the first part of my post)

These kids need some STRONG discipline. If I were the person forking it out I would have them spend a LOT of hours working at an animal shelter or vet, not only until they paid their fine, but enough that it actually sunk in.

My grandfather told me that during basic training in Cali, WW2, they were driving a truck up the cost and decided to shoot and kill a whale with the 50 MG.

These kids need some STRONG discipline. If I were the person forking it out I would have them spend a LOT of hours working at an animal shelter or vet, not only until they paid their fine, but enough that it actually sunk in.

My grandfather told me that during basic training in Cali, WW2, they were driving a truck up the cost and decided to shoot and kill a whale with the 50 MG.

Awesome. I hate whales. :s0155:

I don't agree with these kids discharging a firearm (if it indeed was) inside city limits in the manner that they did, but that is about as far as my irritation goes. Too bad they were only able to wound that stupid heron.

I can understand the fear an approaching heron could engender. We had dark crested night herons living in the tree in front of our house many years ago, and the pavement indicated that they could be as dangerous as a Stuka. (Saucer-sized white splotches. The horror, the horror!!) I never shot at them with anything - just didn't park under the tree. For the record, I'm not defending he cretins. They endangered everyone within range.

I agree these kids should be straightend out for their actions. It was a foolish decision to discharge a firearm in a city park.

An amusing comment posted by a friend of the wounded Heron:

"I know that heron it has been there for at least fifteen years. I used to love watching it swoop over my back yard at dusk. These people are total scum."-_croydonfacelift

Personally I don't know what the lifespan of a heron is but I am guessing this person was actually seeing more than one individual heron.

Maybe it was attacking them. Or maybe they feared for their lives. Those are some bug birds, I'd be scared if one came toward me! Or maybe they thought their combo hunting license/tag was good for em'.

Tough birds, go for the eyes and they can mess you up.

Err, some of the pond fish can cost thousands and are actually friendly to their owners (for a fish that is)

Still no reasons to take pot shots at the bird.

Last Edited:
Maybe I would give the 17 year old a pass, but a 22 year old?

Herons can live for over 20 years in the wild.

I agree that what they did was wrong. They killed a bird.

But the boys are more important then a bird.

Make them do a bunch of community service, put them on probation for a while and then give them another chance.

BTW. At 22 years old, they can still act like a young kid. I would be safe to say alot of 22 yo's still act like teenagers.

I say make it real painful for the "Kids" (they are not kids...). Until they are thumped with the "Clue-stick of Life" they will keep doing F'd up things. The earlier the thump, the better.

Giving them a slap on the wrist will only make their future decisions to do wrong easier.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top