JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Stupid-simple question here...I'm an Oregon CHL holder planning on purchasing my first handgun soon. Will I be able to take the gun home that day?

I seem to recall reading there is a 3(?) day waiting period, but only for those without a CHL. Is this correct? Sorry if this has been covered a hundred times...

You can leave the gunshop with your firearm after you pass the background check. Most of the time its minutes after you pay for the firearm.

There is no longer a waiting period here in Oregon.

Even better than I expected. :) If this was covered in my class (6+ months ago), it was in the wash of details I promptly forgot. Gosh, it's hard to keep this straight with so many variations and disinformation. Thanks, Murphy!

1.Choose firearm.
2.Fill out form.
3.Give thumb prints.
4.Give ODL to clerk.
5.Wait,wait,wait for clerk to call and get approval then wait some more. Kinda slow lately.
6.If approved instantly, clerk writes approval number on form.
7. Pay up.
8. Leave.
9. If approval is delayed they will hold firearm until approval is given then call you to come pick it up.

I would think that if you already have a CHL, your "background" check should be a no brainer. Last time I was in the gun shop, the state background check took about 15 minutes. That was because she was doing about 10 or so at the same time, and had to wait till they were all done before I could leave.

I would think that if you already have a CHL, your "background" check should be a no brainer. Last time I was in the gun shop, the state background check took about 15 minutes. That was because she was doing about 10 or so at the same time, and had to wait till they were all done before I could leave.

CHL doesnt hold any weight on the checks especially if you have a similar name to someone who couldnt have firearms.

CHL doesnt hold any weight on the checks especially if you have a similar name to someone who couldnt have firearms.

What I meant was, if you have already been cleared to have your CHL, you "should" be able to get an on site approval for a purchase. Unless you have been bad in between the time you got your CHL. I did not mean that showing your CHL would carry any weight. I was under the impression that the CHL background check was more extensive than a simple hand gun purchase. I may be wrong.

Thanks guys! Sounds like it shouldn't be too big of a hassle...no more so than purchasing long guns, anyway.

It's a moot point, anyway; the places I checked don't even have it in stock! :( I guess they (M&P 9c) have been flying off the shelves...so to speak.

If you do buy one - Do not do it on weekends and try to do it in the morning to reduce the time it takes to get approved.

Reason - Lots of activity - people calling in on weekends and very busy on weekends with gun shows in progress - most weekends.

Well, right now the "waiting period" is however long it takes for a fresh stock to roll into the Pacific Northwest. I checked several places over the past few days and no one can even find one in a warehouse!

Just don't use the CHL as your purchase ID. OSP runs the clearance operation, all they can figure without undue delay is a driver's license. If you don't drive, I guess you are out of luck!

The background check is a completely separate operation that goes through the OSP to National data bank. There can be glitches!!!! It is a bear to clear when this happens, that sometimes takes months. Should something of question comes from another state that you may have lived in prior to Oregon, it may take a very long time as the OSP only puts through the request once a month to get a clear or questionable answer to be put on hold. A new law is being attempted to take the OSP out of the picture, along with the fee charged for their service. Guess it will be a direct FFL Dealer to the data bank like most states do.

Never had it take more than 10 minutes. Picking out the gun is what takes me 7-10 business days!

Heh, you're fast; it took me 6 months to decide! But I was in no particular rush. I ended up getting it [M&P 9c] at Cabelas (Springfield, OR) on a weekday evening. It wasn't the cheapest place around, but it was in stock. The paperwork only took 10-15 minutes to clear.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top