JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My spring went 'fling!' when I took apart the buttstock on my AR earlier, and I can't find it.

What spring went 'fling!'?

The buffer tube retainer pin spring went 'fling!'.

Can I replace it with any other thing? Any other spring?

O.k., that was cute and all, but seriously...I don't have time to order a new one, and I'm not able to get into town before a shooting session with my buddies (none of whom own an AR, or I'd ask them) later today. What can I use that I may have lying around? Retractable pen spring cut to size?

Have you guys McGyver'd anything in the past for that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

~
ae

If it was the buffer tube retainer pin spring, I once new a guy that used his AR just fine without that pin or the spring. It is just a little more tricky getting the upper and lower to mate correctly.

M

I would take like a wooden match, (in the spirit of McGyver) and cut it off so that it hold the retaining pin up high enough to stop the buffer. Probably wont last long, but you could always take extra match's along....

Once you get the tube screwed back on it should be ok at least for the day.

Morpheus is right. You can run without it. One of my custom .22 caliber AR's has a bolt set up that does not us a retainer.

Closing the upper and lower is fairly easy, just hold the buffer in place. To open it you will probably have to pull slightly back on the charging handle so the buffer lines up with the opening between the upper and lower. Just make sure to put your finger on the buffer before you open all the way.

You can use a retractable pen spring if you need to, but I would just run without it.
It's only purpose is to keep the buffer in the tube when you take it in half.
It serves absolutely no purpose when the weapon is assembled or in use.

This is good to know. I did the exact same thing last weekend. However, I was able to find it after about 30 minutes of searching and pulling my workbench away from the wall. It's nice to know I can still run it without it. Thanks!

You can use a retractable pen spring if you need to, but I would just run without it.
It's only purpose is to keep the buffer in the tube when you take it in half.
It serves absolutely no purpose when the weapon is assembled or in use.

Awesome, thank you! I have to get a new buffer tube, regardless, the threads are jacked up because whoever owned it in the past must not have had a spanner wrench to tighten the castle nut. So it wiggled loose and someone must've turned the butt-stock to try and tighten it, and didn't make sure the notch and groove were lined up while doing it.

This is why I invested in an "essentials kit". Brownell's and Midway sell them for about $20-$30 and they include most of the parts that either "go fling" or break in the middle of a shooting session.

Like the credit card ad, I never leave home without it (the kit).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top