JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's getting dark outside and my girlfriend feels a little unsafe, or at least unsettled, some times walking home by herself.
So she wants a stun-gun. (she does have a nice SIG232, but no CPL, so...)
And that sounds good to mE, except I dont know anything about them. Searched online, off course, but they are all the best independent on specs. And it seams like the output voltages wary wildely.

So what should I look for?
Any brands that is better than others?
How mmany volts would be needed to put someone down?

I'm not the kind of person that looks to save 10 bucks but rather get the best one available . Especially in this case!

Phantom there is really only one brand worth owning which has a proven HTR (Historical Track Record) that has BTDT. While it doesn't come cheap it is the same technology as used by LEOs. It is the Taser C2. Which is Taser's civilian model. It is exactly the same technology and effectiveness as the larger models carried daily by LEO's and MPs. The only difference is it is more compact for a civilian's mission and is automatic rather than discretionary on shocking.

When the safety is turned off it turns on a laser sight which is used as a pointer and then exposes the button on the top of the unit which the defender can hit to launch the two probes about 12-15' depending upon conditions. Once contact is made it will give the Violent Criminal Actor (VCA) a 30 second ride. It is designed to be deployed and then the defender drops it and vacates the area to safety while calling 911. If the VCA or someone else decides to steal it or run off with it...as long as you file a police report and show the report to Taser they'll mail you a brand new replacement unit. Nice!

Also if the defender deploys the probes and they miss you can still use it as a contact device. If they're are multiple VCAs the same thing - probe one and you can still use as a close quarters contact device. While I've not had the privilege of being Tased by it, two OFA staff members have and one is a MMA fighter and both said "it worked!"

When you purchase it, Taser will require an on-line background check to make sure it is going to someone who is not a convicted felon. Some may balk at this but this is Tasers way of making sure they CYA and make sure it is going to the right folks. Once the background check is complete then they'll give you a code and you can unlock and arm the device for service. Again, this is not a gun show or truck stop stun gun, this is a serious defensive tool. The newer units now come with two cartridges and a target. You can practice deploying one set of probes onto the target and watch the sparks. This is to verify the unit works and to make sure you hit what you aim at. It also comes with a clip on holster.

If the price is outside your comfort zone then another option is Oleoresin Capsicum - aka Pepper Spray or OC. There are many to chose from...I'd go with something that has a proven HTR and not something sold at a truck stop, gun show in a blister pack. I'd buy from a LEO or Defense supplier. One that comes to mind is FOX OC. 5.2 million SHU. If you go the OC route make sure she carries at least two Sudecon decontamination wipes as there is a good chance she'll experience secondary contamination which isn't pleasant. Hope this tome helps.

Last Edited:
OFADAN is right on most all points, but the duration of the charge is 30 seconds, not five minutes. Five minutes might kill somebody...
And Fox is indeed great stuff, I carry it, FWIW.
<broken link removed>

Don't believe the movie hype about stun guns. Stun guns are almost worthless as they work on pain compliance. They hurt a lot but they do not incapacitate. They don't knock people unconscious. Tasers using probe cartridges have the ability to incapacitate somebody, but only for the duration of the current. Immediately after the shock ends, you have a fully functional, and now very pissed off, bad guy. If you don't deploy the taser probes properly, you wont incapacitate and the attacker will simply rip the probes out. The taser is great for police use because it allows them to keep somebody incapacitated until another officer can apply handcuffs. I would not recommend a taser (especially not a stun gun) for a self defense situation because it is not very effective beyond scare factor.

Pepper spray is better, but some people don't respond to it, and it is fairly easy for a determined individual to fight through. It is almost guaranteed that you will get exposed to the spray when you use it, so be prepared for that.

Best bet is to get a CPL for the SIG.

OFADAN is right on most all points, but the duration of the charge is 30 seconds, not five minutes. Five minutes might kill somebody...
And Fox is indeed great stuff, I carry it, FWIW.
<broken link removed>

Wow, what a blunder. And I now realize how I inadvertently did this so thanks Doc. Yes 30 seconds is correct and edited above in my tome to be accurate. My apology.

Last Edited:
Don't believe the movie hype about stun guns. Stun guns are almost worthless as they work on pain compliance. They hurt a lot but they do not incapacitate. They don't knock people unconscious. Tasers using probe cartridges have the ability to incapacitate somebody, but only for the duration of the current. Immediately after the shock ends, you have a fully functional, and now very pissed off, bad guy. If you don't deploy the taser probes properly, you wont incapacitate and the attacker will simply rip the probes out. The taser is great for police use because it allows them to keep somebody incapacitated until another officer can apply handcuffs. I would not recommend a taser (especially not a stun gun) for a self defense situation because it is not very effective beyond scare factor.

Pepper spray is better, but some people don't respond to it, and it is fairly easy for a determined individual to fight through. It is almost guaranteed that you will get exposed to the spray when you use it, so be prepared for that.

Best bet is to get a CPL for the SIG.

The civilian TASER is designed to provide a window for retreat, not to eliminate the threat. 30 seconds of incapacitating electrical current is pretty substantial. I've been hit with the LEO version 3 times now and that 5 seconds is the longest 5 seconds you'll ever experience. I cant imagine a 30 second ride....

That being said, yes you can miss with a TASER, you can also miss with a pistol. There is a reason they allow for the TASER to drive stun as well as utilize the projectiles.

The TASER should be treated as any other weapon. Train with it, understand its abilities and limitations, know what to do through failure drills etc.

As an aside, I've also been sprayed with OC via direct spray to the face via stream/fog/crowd control level jet all of them though painful and unpleasant as they may be, could not keep me from the 5 seconds it takes to close on a person after contact and put hands on. That being said, I was unable to do that with the TASER activated via projectiles or even being drive stunned.

Just food for thought.

Agree on the C2.... all the gals in the family carry one. Got them as Christmas presents as they got older.

Mom was 1st on the list, if it doesn't stop the attack her sig 938 will end it fast.

Don't forget battery life is 5yrs, but we replace after 4 yrs for piece of mind.

Years ago during and LE training saw a guy get tased on acid didnt do anything other then slow him down a tad. It might be worth getting the CC so a safer option can be used.

I have no experience with stun guns and was looking into them a while back, as an additional less than lethal option. I was intrigued by the larger flashlight/stun guns. Anyone have experience with them?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top