JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Initial question: Any risk to load "less" powder than recommended lowest published powder load? (Wanting to shoot suppressed at 862-886 fps)

Have researched internet, reloading magazines and hard cover books for data on subsonic 9mm. Most everything points towards using 147 gr bullets. My inventory is all 115 grain bullets. Hodgdon's shows lowest velocities for 115 gr above 1000 fps except with CLAYS powder. Of course I don't have any CLAYS. Am careful reloader and have always stayed with minimum and maximum numbers as published in reliable texts. If I have to buy 147 gr bullets as a solution to get to 862-886 fps.

Thanks in advance for any commentary.

Merry Christmas

I have found trying to make "mouse fart" "gamer" loads for IDPA to be a fun exercise.
It seemed easy to drop velocities going under published minimums, however, I have found consistency and accuracy to suffer greatly. You won't get far below published minimums before it all goes to crap...
Do Not try to download slower burning powders, especially H110. (My favorite 9mm powder is Herco, pushing my 115gn LSWC, to just make power-factor)
It also seems that it was "easier" to make useable slow loads with lead than jacketed or even plated bullets. My boolits are cast from modern clip-on-wheel-weight(COWW) alloys; there is a slightly different tin/antimony alloy to pre-eighties era wheel weights.

Joe

Last Edited:
I have not rolled this one but there is this from the American Rifleman magazine:
sc9.jpg

It will also depend on your gun. Not only are you trying to stay SS, but assuming you are shooting in a self-loading firearm you need that to function as well.

I have a 115gr load that runs in my my integrally suppressed 9mm AR with ~6.5" barrel. The problem is they will not cycle any of my other 9mm's. Like you, I had a lot of 115gr on hand so it is what I wanted to use.

I have moved to 147gr bullets for all of my SS stuff. I know you have 115gr on hand, but if you plan on shooting very much, moving to 147gr will be helpful.

When it comes to powder and silencers some are much dirtier or abrasive than others. I originally loaded with W231 but it is dirty and abrasive. After a lot of research I ended up with Titegroup and this has worked well for me and others. 3.5gr with 115, 124 or 147 gr bullets will stay SS for me in all of my guns. 147 is the only one that will reliably cycle all of the actions.

Again, assuming you are wanting to use these with a silencer, you really need a jacketed bullet to prevent lead build up in your can.

Last Edited:
Just go lower slowly and keep an eye on things. I've got 115 grain blue bullets going 800-900 out of a 16" carbine.

Initial question: Any risk to load "less" powder than recommended lowest published powder load? (Wanting to shoot suppressed at 862-886 fps)

Have researched internet, reloading magazines and hard cover books for data on subsonic 9mm. Most everything points towards using 147 gr bullets. My inventory is all 115 grain bullets. Hodgdon's shows lowest velocities for 115 gr above 1000 fps except with CLAYS powder. Of course I don't have any CLAYS. Am careful reloader and have always stayed with minimum and maximum numbers as published in reliable texts. If I have to buy 147 gr bullets as a solution to get to 862-886 fps.

Thanks in advance for any commentary.

Merry Christmas
Risk...sticking one in the barrel and following it while the barrel is obstructed without knowing. Not saying don't try it just be very mindful of whether that bullet cleared the barrel. I have worked with reduced loads and stuck a few. It's something that deserves your attention.

Risk...sticking one in the barrel and following it while the barrel is obstructed without knowing. Not saying don't try it just be very mindful of whether that bullet cleared the barrel. I have worked with reduced loads and stuck a few. It's something that deserves your attention.
Great wisdom. Am aware of that possibility.

Just test fired 115 grain Berry's (cause that's what I had on hand) with 3.8 grain Titegroup on brand new FN509 with Griffing Optimus. Well pleased with noise reduction. Will take to gun range and use chronograph. Appreciate all responses. Going shopping for some 147 grain bullets.

IMG_20221203_114209880_HDR.jpg

3.2gr CFE Pistol
147gr
1.165" I believe.

Runs sub in pistol and AR patterned rifle. Pretty fun suppressed ringing steel at 200y

Little light for pistols.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews