JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am interested in doing some reading on the 19th and early 20th century pattern pocket revolvers known as, to varying degrees of accuracy, Velo-Dog. The original was created by René Galand in France. But many others were made in the niche, in various places. Most were in 5.75㎜ Velo-Dog, .22LR, .25 ACP (6.3516㎜) and similar cartridges. (I've seen loaded cartridges of the foremost listed cartridge from Remington to Sociedad Española de Armas y Municiones S.A., to many points between.)

Anyway, though there is some information online, and interesting photographic evidence too, I'm not turning up exhaustive coverage in print. So, I thought I'd inquire. Merci.

Muff guns are from a different era than the Velodog pistol. The word is a portmanteau contrivance, being a concoction of Velocipede [an early form of bicycle] and dog [a furry quadruped often tamed by Man to fetch sticks and downed birds, and act as a mobile duvet in inclement weather].

It seems that dogs were uncommonly attracted to attacking users of bicycles, and the pistol was used as a form of protection for the rider. That they were also of some use against footpads and sundry low-class criminals is an important secondary usage.

I've got a few. I've never seen one in .25acp. Mine are a mix of French and English, mostly in .22 short. I shoot them occasionally with Aguilla subsonics as they seem to be pretty tame and comparable to old shells.

@tac, I think that the bicycle argument was mostly fallacious, it was an 'excuse' to make easily concealable pistols in a time when The Continent was experiencing significant anti-gun sentiment.

I've got a few. I've never seen one in .25acp. Mine are a mix of French and English, mostly in .22 short. I shoot them occasionally with Aguilla subsonics as they seem to be pretty tame and comparable to old shells.

@tac, I think that the bicycle argument was mostly fallacious, it was an 'excuse' to make easily concealable pistols in a time when The Continent was experiencing significant anti-gun sentiment.

That was, as we say, 'bien entendu' ;)

*I have two such revolvers, yes, here in England!!! TWO miniature revolvers from Harrington and Richardson, proudly bearing the inscription 'Young America'. They are both stone-dead, of course, after the manner of cartridge-firing handguns here on mainland UK, since ammunition is readily available for both. However, where I am supposed to be able to find .32 S&W ammunition has long escaped me, but the law is the law...................

They can be of little interest to anybody here, since where YOU live they are the kind of thing that you find in Kinder Eggs, unlike the mainland UK, where they are treated like weapons of mass destruction that roam the streets of their own accord our cities looking for innocent citizens to slaughter. :rolleyes:

*This post is available in a selection of current modern languages, including Welsh and Irish, as well as French and German, for those who wish it. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top