JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I know this is not news to most of us. I know it has been discussed before. But this study just came out, and nothing like "scientific data" to "prove" a point. Here ya go:

Study: Guns not best defense against angry bear
BY PAUL FOY

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - While bringing a gun to a bear fight may seem like a solid way to win, experts say the gun largely provides a false sense of security - and would be similar to trying to shoot, and stop, a small car careening toward you at speeds of up to 35 mph.

It's not that firearms don't work, but many people can't load or aim them quickly enough in the panicky moments of a bear attack, according to a recent study by bear researchers at Utah's Brigham Young University.

"It's more about how you carry yourself than whether you carry a gun," said wildlife biologist Tom S. Smith, the study's lead author...
Get the rest of the article here:
<broken link removed>
or here:
<broken link removed>

Even a 10mm is comparable to the proverbial "golden BBs" that sometimes can down a military aircraft. It is about placement. And God knows how hard it is to shoot straight with a freight train heading towards you at 35mph! The main message is to not let your firearm, whatever it is, to lead you into complacency. Prevention is the best tactic.

Even a 10mm is comparable to the proverbial "golden BBs" that sometimes can down a military aircraft. It is about placement. And God knows how hard it is to shoot straight with a freight train heading towards you at 35mph! The main message is to not let your firearm, whatever it is, to lead you into complacency. Prevention is the best tactic.

I was only being a little tongue-in-cheek with my comment........:p

Many of the successful bear defenses I have read of end up with the shooter sidestepping the basically dead-on-it's-feet bruin at the last minute like a matador

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top