Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Study: 'Green' Training Ammo Carries Cancer Risk

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by darkminstrel, Apr 23, 2009.

1. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

2. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with this stuff - is this floating around in the civilian market?

(not that if you say "no", that makes it any better for the soldiers who were exposed)

3. darkminstrel

I haven't been able to find out exactly what it is. Either maker or what a round looks like. ****, all I'd need is a headstamp. It can't be the frangible stuff that civvies get, that's just treated copper.

4. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

I wonder what effect this will have on the sale/manufacture of tungsten shot shells for waterfowl? The whole point was to eliminate lead in the water, this may be worse?

5. darkminstrel

They were making tungsten shot? I thought they were going to just full steel. This is getting sticky...

6. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

Yeah, for the same reasons the military would use it for training, it gets pretty close to the weight of lead. It's expensive shot but a lot more effective than steel.

7. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

Why do I get the same sense of deja vu when reading about this that I get with all the preaching over the supposedly "safe" compact fluorescent light bulbs?? You know the ones that need to be "specially disposed of" due to the mercury in them. :nuts:

With all the stuff out there that is now a "health risk" I am amazed that my parents are even still alive and survived the "dark ages". :paranoid:

8. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

War is going to get very spendy if we have to start making bullets out of gold...

9. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

But then people might think before they started a conflict.

10. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

Do I have to use my environmentally friendly silver vampire bullets for practice now?