JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good for them. I'm encouraged by the fact that a group of high school students had the wherewithal to see through the illusion and recognize the truth, where most "adults" just swallow the bait, hook, line and sinker.

USA Today....:s0044: "Students who survived Tuesday's suburban Denver school shooting walked out of a gun-control rally Wednesday night in anger and tears over concerns the event inappropriately politicized their grief."

Writing like this is why I read very little from any media sources. One person is, tragically, killed and the rest are called survivors? Why just today the wife and I were survivors of a 25 mile drive a 5 hour s on the water in a boat.

Anyway, good for the students. Shout it from the highest mountain!

Something you won't see in the text of most newspapers, but easily proven with your own browser. As of last October, there were 1135 homicides from mass shootings in the US. That averages 22 per year. According to ICE records, their deportees in each of 2017 and 2018 committed over 2000 homicides each year. That is 100 times as many. For 2018, add to that 2085 kidnappings, 5350 sexual assaults, 8627 non-assault sex crimes, 5562 robberies, 12,663 burglaries, 6261 stolen vehicles, 50,753 assaults, 11,766 weapons offenses, 20,340 larcenies, 76,585 drug offenses, and 80,730 DUI's. But for them, Dems running the media demand sanctuary, amnesty and a lifetime of welfare benefits and free health care. They won't even support background checks to see if they have skills to support themselves and children they may have, or criminal histories. Even with crime records, they get political protection in sanctuary cities.
https://www.ice.gov/doclib/about/offices/ero/pdf/eroFY2018Report.pdf

Something you won't see in the text of most newspapers, but easily proven with your own browser. As of last October, there were 1135 homicides from mass shootings in the US. That averages 22 per year. According to ICE records, their deportees in each of 2017 and 2018 committed over 2000 homicides each year. That is 100 times as many. For 2018, add to that 2085 kidnappings, 5350 sexual assaults, 8627 non-assault sex crimes, 5562 robberies, 12,663 burglaries, 6261 stolen vehicles, 50,753 assaults, 11,766 weapons offenses, 20,340 larcenies, 76,585 drug offenses, and 80,730 DUI's. But for them, Dems running the media demand sanctuary, amnesty and a lifetime of welfare benefits and free health care. They won't even support background checks to see if they have skills to support themselves and children they may have, or criminal histories. Even with crime records, they get political protection in sanctuary cities.
https://www.ice.gov/doclib/about/offices/ero/pdf/eroFY2018Report.pdf

talk about politicizing :rolleyes:

Hmmm ... media now taking a subtly scolding view of Castillo? Students who tackle shooters die as heroes. Some experts worry 'we're setting our kids up to be martyrs'

[Castillo's act] has been widely hailed as an act of heroism. But some school safety experts and psychologists fear it's indicative of a growing pressure that American schoolchildren feel to neutralize threats at their schools — an unfair expectation that they say sometimes puts students in danger where it may not already have existed.

The rest of the story meanders around at it is hard settle on its main point, but I came away from it feeling like it was mildly scolding Castillo to some degree. Perhaps that's an unfair reading but it's what I felt.

I don't know how students are supposed to feel -- with only one or two armed security guards and the police at least minutes away, they're going to be fish in a barrel, especially if trapped in a room with the shooter. What are the real options? If a shooter is able to continue unconfronted for several minutes, he or she is just going to make a lot of victims and I'm sure Castillo understood that -- he and the other two stopped a mass killing. I would agree that such a burden should be laid at the feet of the adults who run the school, but I can't see it in my heart to fault Castillo and the other defenders one bit for taking up that responsibility and ending the threat.

This may be a far too cynical view, but perhaps they're worried taking the "fight" instead of the "flight" strategy would be successful in significantly reducing casualties in mass shootings? Read my post from this morning.

I don't doubt that some organizations use these events politically and the resistance to practical solutions is baffling (*). I would also say though, that it is completely unfair to place the burden of solving this problem on the students -- the adults should be much more proactive. By the same token, when most of those in charge of schools are opposed to practical solutions (is that accurate or is it an inaccurate perception based on media? -- I don't honestly know), I can understand why some students would take on the burdens of defense and protection and also annoyed that they must.

(*) For example:
1. Prevent students from getting guns into schools (metal detectors/xrays would have stopped this at the door, but may have caused an entry attack -- I would think though that flight is more effective outside than cooped up inside a cluttered crowded classroom).
2. Prevent students who get guns into schools from having significant time to use them (multiple onsite response personnel whether teachers or security who can get to the scene in seconds would make a difference because time and again, the carnage stops or slows once the shooter is confronted -- the response time to confrontation needs to be as close to zero as possible).

After addressing the practical defenses, it would be worth addressing underlying causes whatever they may be, but starting with the easy stuff seems logical to me.

IMO it is usually better to be a sheepdog defending the flock against a wolf than it is to be one of the sheep and get your throat torn out while running away.

But some school safety experts and psychologists fear it's indicative of a growing pressure that American schoolchildren feel to neutralize threats at their schools — an unfair expectation that they say sometimes puts students in danger where it may not already have existed.

They say the feeling of needing to fight back stems primarily from an active shooter response protocol embraced by many schools and workplaces called"Run, hide, fight," which encourages those in the path of an armed intruder to flee or hide by doing things like using furniture to barricade doors, and as a last resort, to attack the assailant.

Of course they worry, but probably not because it is unfair, but rather because it teaches young minds to fight back (as a last resort) rather than cower and accept their fate. This mindset, of resistance, runs counter to their goal of training the young to be subservient citizens - more so because it may lead someone to the conclusion that maybe they should go armed instead of unarmed.

Now granted, I am cynical, but that is my take on it. The older I get, the more I observe human nature, the more cynical I get.

I would also say though, that it is completely unfair to place the burden of solving this problem on the students -- the adults should be much more proactive.
Yes, by all means, implement all these practical defense solutions (conceal carry, armed guards, secured buildings). But lacking these defenses, or in the event of their failure, and assuming potential victims are in a position (age, strength) and willing to do so, make courageous resistance the norm. Teach people proper tactics, train them not to freeze at the sight of a firearm or at the sound of gunfire. Let potential killers know that the time of easy prey is over, that they will instantly have to battle one or more raging, charging people. Perhaps that thought will be enough to make the whole mass-shooting concept much less unattractive.

Last Edited:
Let potential killers know that the time of easy prey is over, that they will instantly have to battle one or more raging, charging people. Perhaps that thought will be enough to make the whole mass-shooting concept much less unattractive.

Quite probably.

It appears (I could be wrong) that the mass shooters are really cowards, and given resistance they seem to back down or flee much of the time.

They don't want to spend money to protect schools and find out that the schools are protected, thus no need for gun control. They make it about the money, but "for the children" let's take away means of self-defense. Shooting back is the right answer. But not to antis.

This may be a far too cynical view, but perhaps they're worried taking the "fight" instead of the "flight" strategy would be successful in significantly reducing casualties in mass shootings? Read my post from this morning.

When we look at what we thought America was 20 years ago, and where we are now, even our Most Cynical ideas were tragically naive.

I don't doubt that some organizations use these events politically and the resistance to practical solutions is baffling (*). I would also say though, that it is completely unfair to place the burden of solving this problem on the students -- the adults should be much more proactive. By the same token, when most of those in charge of schools are opposed to practical solutions (is that accurate or is it an inaccurate perception based on media? -- I don't honestly know), I can understand why some students would take on the burdens of defense and protection and also annoyed that they must.

(*) For example:
1. Prevent students from getting guns into schools (metal detectors/xrays would have stopped this at the door, but may have caused an entry attack -- I would think though that flight is more effective outside than cooped up inside a cluttered crowded classroom).
2. Prevent students who get guns into schools from having significant time to use them (multiple onsite response personnel whether teachers or security who can get to the scene in seconds would make a difference because time and again, the carnage stops or slows once the shooter is confronted -- the response time to confrontation needs to be as close to zero as possible).

After addressing the practical defenses, it would be worth addressing underlying causes whatever they may be, but starting with the easy stuff seems logical to me.

Workable solutions do not lead to more leftist laws being passed. THAT is the goal, not safe schools.

Workable solutions do not lead to more leftist laws being passed. THAT is the goal, not safe schools.

Sadly, dead children help support the anti-gun agenda. It isn't strategic for them to support workable solution not related to their very consistent, "ban guns," because each evil action is used for more fuel for their fire. If solutions not related to banning guns were enacted and worked well, their agenda would collapse. They know this. I've been saying this for years.

So its ok for an 18 year old to defend his or her or what evers country but not their classmates? BULL. If someone comes in a room I am in and the choice is to rush them or to die with a bullet in my back I'm taking them with me. But then I am 61 so not really important any more.

At 18 Castillo is a hero and old enough to understand the adults in charge had failed them. Shills, like the ones that write trash and fantasy like this story will always find a way to push ownership of failure and failed policy away from themselves.

Educators and media push the narrative that the first responders arrived very fast. It's never faster than those at the scene. If they were fast enough this kid would not be dead.

Any teacher that says guns should not be allowed in school needs to take that argument first hand to these shooters then get back to me and tell me what they said.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top