JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend of mine, who is the curator of a large historic collection of arms and armour, has suddenly acquired a desprit need to trial shoot a pair of Studemeier flintlock travelling pistols in 38g.

They are smooth-bores, and are in very fine shooting condition.

38g = .497", and of course we have the excellent Jeff Tanner to make a suitable mould in very short order. How much smaller do we need to be to ensure at least some degree of accuracy, bearing in mind they were intended for defensive shooting across the width of a stage-coach. Do we need to use a patch, or.........................?

I'm asking here for load recommendations for his fine old pistols - specifically from any of you who already shoot a similar handgun. DGW and Lyman both suggest loads starting at around 35gr of FFg.

What is the current wisdom here, please?

TIA

If you want to shoot with a patch , then I would suggest a .490 round ball with a .10 or .15 patch ...if not wanting a patch ,then .495 round ball..both sizes are commonly found...at least here in the US...Joe and Suzie at the GunWorks would be happy to help here ...as I am sure that you already know...:D

A patch may help reduce fouling ...so I tend to use 'em...

30-35 grains of powder is a good choice in a pistol...I have had good results with 30 grains in my original .56 caliber pistol and 35-40 grains in a .54 caliber pistol that I made....
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads