Stuck taper pin on front sight

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Ek9san, Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HB of CJ

HB of CJ
    42.17N -123.64W ?

Respectfully ...

Back to first post and problem. Those pesky OEM type taper pins can be very difficult. The key to success is setting up the "smack" and using the correct tools and procedures. No big deal. Fun and easy if you take the time.

You might have a situation where the manufactures did not pay attention to specs. Happens nowadays. SPECIFICALLY: The barrel taper pin grooves have a OEM taper. Lots of time today that little procedure is done away with?

Hardwood backing will not work. Too compressive. Has too much rebound. Also a concrete floor doe not work. Also rebounds. You need a steel anvil or an anvil surface on that big necessary 5-6 inch through-bolted on vise.

Then steel plates and shims to properly align the site base on the smacker. Steel underneath. Wood blocks needed to properly align the upper or barrel. Use bungie cords to lock down the barrel. Exact alignment needed here.

Find and use a proper sized steel drift. A straight pin punch is best sized to smack that smaller diameter end OEM taper pin. Use vice grips to hold the punch. Then hold the vice grips. A big hammer is good. 3 pound best.

Patience. Consider Marvels Mystery Oil soaking for hours. Overnight better. Let the oil do the work. You have rust welded stuff. Or BAD manufacturing. Then once all set up correctly, take a big smack with that big hammer. WACK!

Irresistible forces meets the movable object. Have Fun. Enjoy doing this. You can do it.

Hundreds of builds.

EDIT EDIT EDIT You might have a taper pin manufacturing problem. You taper pins MUST have a small end and a big end. MUST! Straight diameter pins are shieeeet. Drive from the small end. Your taper pins MAY have been installed incorrectly.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. Ek9san

Ek9san
    Gresham

I have it on top of my vice as of right now. Bought a blowtorch and heated it

3. Ek9san

Ek9san
    Gresham

It still won't move.... in case you guys are wondering... I ordered a 12 inch taper punch. Hopefully that'll do get it out.

4. 808hondacrguy

808hondacrguy
    Eugene,OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Measure the pins again, just to be sure that you are hitting it the right way. I know a "guy" that swore he was hitting it the right way, then, after banging on them for for half an hour, in frustration, measured again, and as it would be, "he" was hitting them the wrong way. Turned the sight around, and the pins popped right out. :oops: I know for sure that Smith and Wesson pins punch out in the opposite direction as most. Measure twice, punch once.

HB of CJ and DirectDrive like this.
  5. Ek9san

Ek9san
    Gresham

i tried punching both sides thinking the same thing and still no luck. as for measuring. its a little late now since the pins are mushroomed

6. 808hondacrguy

808hondacrguy
    Eugene,OR

I also use a punch that is bigger then the pin until the pin is pushed flat against the sight, then you can wail on it, and dont have to worry so much about the skinnier punch slipping and scratching you sh$$ up. once the pin is flush, then use the correct size to push it out. Wish you were closer to Eugene, I would show you what I'm talking about.

HB of CJ and Ek9san like this.
  7. Ek9san

Ek9san
    Gresham

Wish I was too... yeah I watched videos all day on YouTube. They made it look easy. hopefully I have better luck when that taper punch comes in.

808hondacrguy likes this.
  8. DirectDrive

DirectDrive
    Vancouver, WA
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Plan B (Hey, better than a "Someone Else's Husband" rescue)
    Gas_Block1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Reno911 likes this.
  9. Ek9san

Ek9san
    Gresham

^Thought about doing that

10. Greenbug

Greenbug
    Bend

If the smaller head of the taper pin is mushroomed like you said then you may have to grind that mushroomed part off or drill it off. The mushroom basically mechanically locked the pin in place. Center punch a divot in the middle of the mushroom on the small end of the pin and drill enough material off to unlock the pin, then punch it out. Or you could just take it to someone else's husband.....:(

Sgt Nambu and Ek9san like this.
  11. AMT

AMT
    Vancouver, WA.
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

This may sound really REALLY stupid but...... are you trying to punch the pin into the piece of 2x4? Did you drill a hole in the 2x4 so the pin will go through the hole in the wood, and the rest is supported by the wood itself?

Can you post a pict of where you are at now?

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  12. 808hondacrguy

808hondacrguy
    Eugene,OR

13. Ek9san

Ek9san
    Gresham

yes and I will post a picture later today

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  14. Ek9san

Ek9san
    Gresham

20180212_153309.jpg

15. thorborg

thorborg
    portland oregon
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Cavalier initial jigging efforts may have moved the sight on the barrel off the tapered pin alignment and gone unnoticed. likely, this was originally drilled (sight and barrel) as an assembly, taper reamed on the barrel then press pinned. I assume (Some might have a pre-grooved barrel) Nonetheless, If turned, even just a fraction, may put it in the process of shearing the pin internally with each hammer blow causing galled up pin and barrel metals in the process.
    Continued pounding would then be tantamount to continuing to chisel the pin in half. Nor good.
    I would first look into the possibility of turned sight and try to correct this before proceeding, especially if you intend to drill or you will booger up the alignment for good. If still unmovable after any correction, filing off mushroomed heads and plenty penetrating Kroil for a couple days, then I would look for someone with a heavy press and proper punch tooling for surly you have essentially riveted it on now. In the event you still decide to drill, I would first determine what my tapered pin size options and availability were, plus reamer availability, in order to select the optimum drill bit. it will be too late if too big a hole is drilled. Look to someone like Brownells for pins and reamers. If drilling, undersize is always better you can always open it up later, you can punch pick any pin residue out after the first initial drilling.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  16. Ek9san

Ek9san
    Gresham

honestly i'm probably going to cut it off. i don't care for the fsb. i had it soaked in pb blaster and its still won't move. mushroomed more to where its almost flush. so either i keep smacking the pins with no results or simply cut if off.

17. 308

FEMA Region 10
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I have and it turned out reall nice like DD

18. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke
    Eugene
    Curmudgeon Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I removed the gas block (front sight block) from a PSA barrel in November. I removed the barrel from the rifle and used an aluminum block on my work bench for backup. I set the gas block solidly on the aluminum block and used a pin punch with a concave face on the pins. Left to right with a 24oz ball peen. It took several HARD whacks to get the pins moving.

19. Ek9san

Ek9san
    Gresham

At this point I'll have to grind down the mushroom pins so I'm either going to cut it off or do a diy low pro gas block

20. DirectDrive

DirectDrive
    Vancouver, WA
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Shave it. (see pic above)
    A lot of guys like 'em shaved.

308 and Ek9san like this.