JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe so. Whichever is the smaller diameter side.
If it is any help, put some wood on around the FSB to brace it and keep it from moving, use a flat starett punch and smack the crap out of it. I've done this many times with good sucess and I'm not a hack :D

If it is any help, put some wood on around the FSB to brace it and keep it from moving, use a flat starett punch and smack the crap out of it. I've done this many times with good sucess and I'm not a hack :D

Tried that. I even used a smaller sledgehammer. I'm really debating if I should drill the pins....

Whack it like you're busting up a still.

barneypow4.gif

Yep, they only come out one way. Like said, use a very hard back surface. Proper blocking and alignment is critical. Use the proper sized pin punch as the drift. Align correctly. Do not be afraid of using that three pound single jack big hammer. Do not be afraid of really smacking the proper sized pin punch. Helper needed. Use locking pliers on the pin punch.

Marvels Mystery Oil penetrating oil works good overnight Use a non compressible back surface. Wood will not work. Neither will Concrete. Both rebound. You need solid steel.

Sometimes they are a chrome plated bieeeeeech to bang out. The absolutely correct method for pesky stuck OEM taper pins is to use a suitable big hydraulic press. Not accessible for most. When they cut loose they will say "POP". Kinda like breaking loose head bolts doing an engine project. We salvaged OEM site bases and other parts for future M16 rebuilds.

Hundreds of AR15 builds. Uncounted assisted beater M16 rebuilds. Long ago. Far away. Now Old. :)

Last Edited:
Still not coming out. I tried. Taking it to a gunsmith if the price is good. If not, I'm going to start drilling. Unless someone here wants it, you can remove it!

The only reason uR getting all this advice is most of us know you can do it without paying someone else husband to do it for you :cool:

The only reason uR getting all this advice is most of us know you can do it without paying someone else husband to do it for you :cool:

Lmao got damn it. I'll give it another shot tomorrow with a "tapered punch".

On a side note. Harbor freight punch set is surprisingly strong

Lmao got damn it. I'll give it another shot tomorrow with a "tapered punch".

On a side note. Harbor freight punch set is surprisingly strong
1) What brand of barrel ?
Makes a diff because a few use Straight pins which can be a beeotch to get out
2) Typical is that the taper pins are installed from the right side (as you hold the rifle).
This means that they are driven out from left to right. (of course)
If you have taper pins, it should be obvious which is the small end.
3) Read the BCM Method posted above.....they are experts.
4) HB of Ten Thousand Builds is right about using a single jack.
In Man World that means a 3 or 4 pound sledge.
If you go at it with a "toy hammer" you will peen it and create a rivet.
You want to smash it out as described in the BCM Method.
Use the larger dia punch to get the pin moving, then switch to the smaller dia punch to finish driving it out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top