JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is no overstatement...the AR-15 is one of the easiest guns to slam fire- especially when dropped or bumped on the stock. The above picture is of an unfired bullet with the primer dented from the gun simply being loaded.

Can you state any other gun that does this? Do you know of any other firearm that slamfires more than the AR-15? I'm just wondering....educate me on how much I'm "overstating" this design flaw.

For the record I'm not anti-AR...but nor am I going to sit here and understate the problems with any firearm.

I don't even think I could pretend to name all of the firearms this happens with, but as a short list just from my own experience: M1 Carbine, M1 Garande, AK-47, Browning BAR (not the WW2 classic).

What you are looking at there is not a slam fire. You are right, it is the firing pin slamming forward as the bolt closes. However if you compare the divit there to an actual fired case you should notice the difference immediately.

Does your gun slam fire all the time? Mine doesn't and never has. Changing to a Ti firing pin usually solves this "problem". And like I was saying, this is not a problem, it is simply a mark left behind for the round going into the chamber, check the bullet nose, it will probably show some damage from being slammed into the ramp too.

Primers are a lot tougher than you give them credit for. They have been engineered very well over the last 120+ years to make sure they only go off when they are supposed to.

When you talk about a rifle "slam firing" after a bump on the stock, that is an issue with the trigger geometry, that is _NOT_ a slam fire, a slam fire occurs when as the bolt is closing, the round goes off, because the firing pin was jammed in such a way that it set off the round, normal to the firing cycle. As a matter of course, these things do happen, I remember one time it happened to me, my M1 Carbine firing pin fatigued, and cracked jamming it in the forward position and cooking off the rest of the magazine in a fury of hot lead.

You are overstating one problem, and then representing a different problem as the same problem.

Though it might be possible for slam firing an AR, it's definitely not the easiest. Your statement is not true stating that:

the AR-15 is one of the easiest guns to slam fire- especially when dropped or bumped on the stock.

Slam firing can occur with any free floating pin system. The normal culprit for slam firing an AR platform are soft primers, primers not being seated enough, or improper/poor maintenance.

You are right about the primer being slightly dented. Being a free floating firing pin, you will see this occurring in most ARs (and in other freefloating firing pin systems), but this doesn't cause an 223/5.56 primer to go off unless it's a soft primers, or not properly seated primers. Primers are designed to handle that type of hit, and requires more force to set it off. Even crushing most of the primers in a reloading press doesn't even set off a primer. Here's a photo example of one of a few I've personally crushed in a reloading press due to improper seating.
View attachment 202053

AR-15 would not be in the fielded by the military & law enforcement if it had this issue of easily slam firing.

You can fix this on the range without tools too. Collapse the stock. Pull rearward on the charging handle and mortar the gun straight down into the ground while keeping pressure on the charging handle. Do it until you feel the charging handle move, even just a little. Keep pressure on the charging handle, reach in to the ejection port and put pressure on the bolt to keep it in place. Chop the charging handle forward while keeping the bolt in the place with your other hand and the stuck casing should come loose.

Ditto, except I would pull the charging handle all the way back to lock the bolt back if possible, then try and get the case out the ejection port or mag well. Make sure you don't have a mag in the rifle first.

too funny almost ten years ago I had a cartridge stuck in my Sig 229, the upper/slide wouldn't go forward all of the way. I brought it to a gunsmith and he got a wood dowel and mallet, WHACK! Pushed the slide all the way to the rear. I was worried about cracking it or something, now I don't think I would hesitate to do it myself! Just haven't had to.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top