JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just ordered a SDU-5/E battery cap adapter that allows one to use CR123A batteries vs the mercury special batteries.. my question. Are they useful in deep woods, or are they better for marine and desert environments as distress signal/ rescue lights? Would prefer not need to use a flare in the woods especially during wildfire season :s0001:

I just ordered a SDU-5/E battery cap adapter that allows one to use CR123A batteries vs the mercury special batteries.. my question. Are they useful in deep woods, or are they better for marine and desert environments as distress signal/ rescue lights? Would prefer not need to use a flare in the woods especially during wildfire season :s0001:

When in doubt.... better to have it and not need it, as opposed to the opposite. ;)

BTW- You'd be surprised how much light will broadcast itself in any environment. Out in the field, noise and light discipline are CONSTANTLY harped upon in the military.

Last Edited:
I don't have funds yet for a GPS based PLB system, so the SDU5/E with the conversion cap should be pretty good if it was good enough for the Mil to have for their boat guys and certain units who had these everywhere... before being replaced by the MS2000 version that I see being used as counterweights for NVGs on helmets ;)
I could get blue and IR filters for the SDU-5/E, if I choose to, but thats more specialized than plain white strobe for a civilian

I have or had, one of the strobe lights around somewhere - I will have to dig it up (I think last time I saw it was in my small survival kit).

I know the last time I tried it the battery (mercury) was dead, or the unit was dead - probably the battery, which you probably can't buy anymore.

Thanks for the info.

I read on the site of the guy who makes these that if the strobe has been sitting a long time, that the capacitor in it may or may not work anymore. Mine has been sitting for 40 years. It would probably be better for me to just buy a new one or rely on the strobe function of my flashlight or weapon light - although they do not have near the lumens of the xenon strobe powered by the capacitor (which takes it up to 350V).

If you've ever seen the strobe on an aircraft (common on some small private planes) then you know how powerful one of these can be.

I still remember testing mine periodically when I was in the USCG.

Does it have to be strobe? I keep a super bright red LED light which was a bicycle tail light at in my pack. Runs on 2 AA batteries only.

This little guy can be seen clear as day at night time for emergency situations both without the cover and with.

To give you an idea basically. Also, don't look at the device when the lens cover is off and you turn it on.....

I was searching for my trail cam the other day -- waypoint set with my handheld garmin GPS -- and despite the technology I spent about 20 minutes scrambling around to find it once I got close. I'm sure a strobe light on the trail cam would have helped a lot. Even if you've fallen down in a thicket, it's going to broadcast some light and help a person who might walk right by you see you. Maybe not too, but what the heck -- better than nothing.

EDIT: If the thing had a little piezo speaker like on a shot timer -- that would be really helpful for search and rescue I'd think.

Update. Got some decent CR123A batteries. Tested the unit. Confim it works. Now it won't turn off unless I unscrew the battery cap:confused: :s0092: Maybe I got a bad one? I see no way to take the gray cap off to see if the switch is corroded... short of permanent-like.

Most hikers carry a whistle for emergency signalling. A whistle only weighs 1/2 ounce, can be heard for long distances, is low-tech, unbreakable and can be blown as long as you can breathe. Some carry a signalling mirror. These are KISS solutions. I think a strobe light is a poor choice for signalling for rescue in the woods. In dense forest or brush, and during the day, no one will see it. It is a high-tech tool that relies on battery life that may be in short supply or better used for a flashlight or other tools.

I'm deaf. :s0092: Not sure that sound will travel as far as light does. It'll be complementary to a signal panel in high vis orange.. on the other hand, IMO, the absolute best distress signal is gonna be a colored smoke signal.. but.. being that those on the civilian market uses pyrotechnic to start off, I'd be far more worried about being blamed for wildfires :confused: Same goes for 25.5mm-37mm parachute or pop road flares in the woods :confused:

Edit. Found nonpyro smoke devices but all seems to be one color; grayish white?

Last Edited:
Update. Got some decent CR123A batteries. Tested the unit. Confim it works. Now it won't turn off unless I unscrew the battery cap:confused: :s0092: Maybe I got a bad one? I see no way to take the gray cap off to see if the switch is corroded... short of permanent-like.

You can buy a battery storage case and keep you CR123A batteries there and the put them in to use the strobe light. I have one that hold six CR123A cells and it is waterproof.

CellVault Battery and Gear Storage - THYRM

E8434EFA-DC3E-4D5F-BDD9-20E273AF69D6.jpeg 4E737354-B00A-4E3D-AC43-7484C2B059F5.jpeg

They have cheaper ones as well:

Amazon.com: Storacell SLCR123MG by Powerpax SlimLine CR123 Battery Caddy, Military Green, Holds 4 Batteries: Home Improvement

Last Edited:
I'm deaf. :s0092: Not sure that sound will travel as far as light does. It'll be complementary to a signal panel in high vis orange.. on the other hand, IMO, the absolute best distress signal is gonna be a colored smoke signal.. but.. being that those on the civilian market uses pyrotechnic to start off, I'd be far more worried about being blamed for wildfires :confused: Same goes for 25.5mm-37mm parachute or pop road flares in the woods :confused:

Edit. Found nonpyro smoke devices but all seems to be one color; grayish white?

I am half deaf - a LOT of sounds I cannot hear.

But deaf or not, someone flying over or passing by in a vehicle, is unlikely to hear any sound you can make, even an explosion or gunshot, especially at a distance.

OTOH - a xenon strobe can be seen for miles. An LED strobe much less, depending on its strength, but still more detectable than sound at any distance.

I am half deaf - a LOT of sounds I cannot hear.

But deaf or not, someone flying over or passing by in a vehicle, is unlikely to hear any sound you can make, even an explosion or gunshot, especially at a distance.
this is what I am thinking as well. How does one tell if someone is whistling nearby if the sound of other things drown it out (chainsaws, trucks, aircraft, gunfire), and how accurate can sound be triangulated to a specific area, lets say, in a canyon/rocky area where there are potential echoes?

OTOH - a xenon strobe can be seen for miles. An LED strobe much less, depending on its strength, but still more detectable than sound at any distance.
Xenon strobes.
Like the SDU 5E, MS2000, what others are available?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top