JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to leave a pistol loaded for the entire time I own it. Say like 25 years. It will get shot occasionally but mainly it is my ready when needed gun. Not necessarily on my person, but always by my desk. Is there a problem doing that with a striker fired pistol?

As far as semi-auto's I have ONLY owned striker fired pistols. But for some reason I feel like having a decocker and DA/SA pistol would be better for the above mentioned purpose.

I got no problem with it. Mines been loaded and cocked (and shot) for about 7-8 years now. Haven't had to replace any springs "YET" but it's shot enough that if I start having issues I'll replace em...just my opinion...I feel perfectly comfortable carrying and depending on my XDM everyday...

I have four at the moment all loaded and ready if needed. My guess would be that you train and you shoot said gun at least twice a month. So cycle your ammo clean it and do function checks.

My bedside gun I don't shoot as often but I'm still not worried about it. Same procedure less often.

I went ahead with another striker. the M&P 2.0. Shot it Saturday. Great shooter, and comfortable.
I will go with the Sig DA/SA (that I have mentioned in another thread) at another time, but that has a different purpose. I have had 3 different Springfield XD variations and decided to go with the M&P this time. I have to say... I really do like it. little lower bore axis, and a little better with hand fit (for me), having interchangeable backstraps. Anyone interested in the M&P M2.0 I doubt I would hesitate to recommend it, though I have not shot it nearly enough to give it a full analysis / review.

Recently picked up a M&P 2.0, 5 inch, 9mm.:rolleyes:
I have only about 250 rounds down the pipe. So far I really like it. Very accurate.
Not as good of a trigger as my other M&Ps with a Apex sear. But I think I will
leave the trigger stock.
DSC00109.JPG

Last Edited:
I've got a number of striker pistols that are always kept loaded, round in the chamber, and have been kept that way (except when cleaning or shooting) for years, with no problems. Maybe over a really long time it would be an issue, but I don't worry about it.

Sure, striker fired guns are popular for now. Leaving one loaded shouldnt be an issue. What concerns me is why people think they are the newest modern thing. Other than materials they are evolved from John Browning patents more than a hundred years old. Designs that he abandoned in favor of hammer fired pistols.
Makes me wonder.
Sticking with the best JMB design ever, the 1911.
Cocked and locked baby!

I have an FNX-9 and load it and then use the decocker to lower the hammer. I have this for my night stand gun. I also keep a pair of electronic earmuffs on my night stand as well.

Great article MrRob96 Posted. No, leaving one loaded will not damage the spring or cause failure unless there was some type of flaw in manufacturing. Striker fired pistols use a spring that is partly compressed all the time, the remainder of compression is from compressing the trigger mechanism. There are many types of springs and a lot of engineering that go into them for the intended use. That said, the springs used in striker fired pistols are engineered to be compressed all the time and will not (typically) lose elasticity.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top