JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for posting. I've fought with this decision myself and usually carry without a round in the chamber. I guess I'm more worried about holstering the pistol and actually catching the trigger on something. Or somehow my kid getting a hold of it. But i'm always extremely careful when it comes to my kid and the guns around the house.

There really isn't a reason to not have a round in the chamber for those reason's mentioned in the article. If your in a life or death struggle, you may only have one hand, and may only have seconds to save your life or your families.

I also never keep a round in the chamber at home. Because of the kid and usually don't rack a round when I leave because somehow I fear the gun going off when racking or like I said holstering.

Last thing I every want to do is be comfortable or complacent when it comes to firearms.

I wonder why they chose a HiPoint pistol as the main photo for that article??

Anyway, interesting article, with a nice description/graphic of the various internal safeties.

I am confident in the safety mechanisms on my gun. I trust that a round will not go off on its own - the trigger must be pulled. As for holstering a loaded gun, a little training goes a long way in preventing an accidental discharge while holstering, and a retention type holster with a trigger guard is a must. Combine those factors together and it is very safe to carry a gun in condition 1. At Oregon Firearms Academy, they taught us how to be very deliberate and very aware of our pistols when holstering and unholstering.

Now, with kids around, so long as you don't leave the gun out where they can get to it, it's no more a concern than any other type of carry.

I also never keep a round in the chamber at home. Because of the kid and usually don't rack a round when I leave because somehow I fear the gun going off when racking or like I said holstering.

Last thing I every want to do is be comfortable or complacent when it comes to firearms.

Question: Has the gun ever gone off when you rack the the slide at the range? What would be the difference at home?

If you are confident in your firearms internal safety. The only way it will ever go off is by pulling the trigger.

I my thought is it is okay to be comfortable but never complacent.

Last Edited:
1. Bursa Thunder CC: has a safety/decocker therefore unable to carry fully cocked and locked. So, full mag plus 1 in the chamber and half cocked with safety on. that way it's easier to thumb it's smallish hammer back if there's time... if not just go double action on the first shot. I don't use the key lock.

2. Beretta 86 Cheetah: cocked and locked, full mag and I pop one in the chamber when going out (tip up barrel). Holster just has room for a few extra rounds (it can fire singles) I'm going to have a holster made for it, like the Bobcat (below) made soon.

3: Beretta 21a Bobcat: church, theatre, movies gun (sounds like a Howitzer in a confined space:)). Operates exactly like the Cheetah and it's holster holds 2 spare mags and a clearing rod if needed (have never, ever had a reason to though). Has custom made full cover square holster that looks like a case for a couple of spare ni-cads or large tape measure (even says RYOBI on the side)

Ya, I know the calibers are smallish but my hands are getting arthritic-ish so the tip ups work for me. I tried a friends teeny pocket 380 DA, and (to me) felt like it exploded in my hand.

As for those trigger safeties, it just seems to me that if something is going to snag the trigger and is going to pull it hard enough to fire a round, it will pull the safety too. I am probably wrong but that's how it looks to me.

Last Edited:
[QUOTE="As for those trigger safeties, it just seems to me that if something is going to snag the trigger and is going to pull it hard enough to fire a round, it will pull the safety too. I am probably wrong but that's how it looks to me.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. I don't see how trigger safeties do anything to make a gun safer. If anything other than your finger gets inside the trigger guard it could trip the trigger just as easily.

All of my guns in holsters have trigger guards. That's the point of a good holster.

The idea of a firing pin block is to ensure that the gun cannot and will not be hit hard enough, dropped far enough in an every day situation to make the gun go bang.

Carrying in anything other than condition 1 your firearm is nothing more than a club. We don't know the stress of the moment and if we will make a mistake trying to rack the slide.

Id rather use what engineers are paid to design as safe than rely upon the lack of gross motor skills when stress hits.

It took me a long time to get comfortable with carrying my Glock in condition one. When I started daily carrying a glock back in 02, I used to carry with an empty chamber. I practiced for hours upon hours upon hours, drawing and racking a round on the way to presentation. This is a method they taught us in the Marine Corps for drawing down. I got to be faster from a behind the back carry, un-chambered, on target and rounds down range than most of my friends straight from a side carry condition one.

I listened to everyone tell me how safe the Glock was, and the trigger safety and the blah blah blah. I read the reports. I did. It didn't matter. The Glock was the first handgun I had used that had no safety or double action. It was new to me.

After time I learned that a Glock is every bit as reliable and safe as any other pistol out there short of a trigger disconnect safety on a hammered handgun. In 13 years of daily carry with my Glock, I've never had an issue or an accident. I carry condition one now and don't stress it a bit.

mostly :D

TL;DR -- The safety is there, Glock has made an empire on it.

I had to do it...."THIS IS MY SAFETY!"

p28-469t1395935958rf77d0f_preview.jpg

You MUST play with it to understand it!!!

I give no more thought to my gun spontaneously going off then I do my pocket knife springing from my pocket, unfolding and stabbing me or someone near by.

Guns are mechanical, not magical.

Practice and train.

@clearconscience ,

I had also intended to say that children change everything.

My wife insisted that my guns were in one safe, ammo in another and no mags loaded (forget leaving my carry out much less "one in the chamber" for many years when my daughter was younger - I conceided so I could keep my guns, but I bought a lot of baseball bats..

Yeah my daughter is almost 3. I keep two loaded handguns in the house. One downstairs and one upstairs. I keep them out of reach and without one in the pipe, and a lot of times without a mag in it.
But we also don't let her play around without knowing where she is and one of us is always playing with her.
I know full well it's takes a kid two seconds to get into danger. And they seem to be attracted to it.
My daughter even at this age is smart. She figures things out fast.

I had a safe in my closet until I bought a bigger one for the garage. The week I moved all my guns out, I was getting dressed and was brushing my teeth I looked around the corner and my daughter had my keys and was putting them in the safe door!! She was 2 1/2!
So we don't let her out of our sight.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads