JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Shoot 200gr hard cast from 1873

• Don't shoot Grizzly rounds

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • It's fine

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
I have a Uberti 18" .357 1873 that I absolutely love. It's a smooth shooter and looks beautiful. The question is: How strong is the action? I've shot PPU 357 158 gr with no problem....I have some Grizzly 200gr hard cast magnum rounds that rattled the beggezus out of my pistols. Would the hard cast 200gr bullets cause problems in my 1873?

SAAMI max pressure for the .357 is 35,000. Your gun was proofed at an equivalent metric pressure level. Consider the proof load pressures for the .357: 42,750 PSI +/- 5%. As long as the gun is modern steel and proof tested, there should be no problems. I would call or email Grizzly if you want to know their pressures. Regardless of bullet weight, it is chamber pressure that is your primary concern.

The Model 1873 is based on the Benjamin Tyler Henry designed action previously used in the original Henry rifle and the Winchester Model 1866. The 1873 action is basically the same as the Model 1866 action, including the loading gate in the right side of the receiver designed by Nelson King. However, unlike the brass receiver of the 1866 Winchester, the 1873 receiver is steel, required by the change from the .44 Henry rimfire cartridge to the higher pressure, .44-40 centerfire cartridge.

The '73 is an exposed hammer, tubular magazine fed, lever action repeater. You swing the lever down and forward to extract and eject the fired case, then back and up to its starting position to chamber a new cartridge and lock the action. Operating the lever also cocks the hammer, readying the rifle for the next shot.

Unlike the later John Browning designed Winchester lever actions, the Henry design uses a cartridge carrier that raises and lowers vertically in what is effectively an elevator shaft in the receiver, directly behind the breech. This "cartridge elevator" considerably lengthens the receiver, but is very smooth in operation and allows completely controlled cartridge feeding. Removing the receiver's sideplates allows easy access to the action.

The 1873's small breech block is held closed by the finger lever operating a relatively weak toggle-link system. This action is adequate for the original .44-40 and now the .357 Magnum cartridge, but it is not long or strong enough to handle the .30-30 and other high velocity, smokeless powder cartridges introduced in the Model 1894.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/winchester_1873_sporter.htm

The Model 1873 is based on the Benjamin Tyler Henry designed action previously used in the original Henry rifle and the Winchester Model 1866. The 1873 action is basically the same as the Model 1866 action, including the loading gate in the right side of the receiver designed by Nelson King. However, unlike the brass receiver of the 1866 Winchester, the 1873 receiver is steel, required by the change from the .44 Henry rimfire cartridge to the higher pressure, .44-40 centerfire cartridge.

The '73 is an exposed hammer, tubular magazine fed, lever action repeater. You swing the lever down and forward to extract and eject the fired case, then back and up to its starting position to chamber a new cartridge and lock the action. Operating the lever also cocks the hammer, readying the rifle for the next shot.

Unlike the later John Browning designed Winchester lever actions, the Henry design uses a cartridge carrier that raises and lowers vertically in what is effectively an elevator shaft in the receiver, directly behind the breech. This "cartridge elevator" considerably lengthens the receiver, but is very smooth in operation and allows completely controlled cartridge feeding. Removing the receiver's sideplates allows easy access to the action.

The 1873's small breech block is held closed by the finger lever operating a relatively weak toggle-link system. This action is adequate for the original .44-40 and now the .357 Magnum cartridge, but it is not long or strong enough to handle the .30-30 and other high velocity, smokeless powder cartridges introduced in the Model 1894.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/winchester_1873_sporter.htm
On top of that the original 44-40 was a black powder round and not made for smokeless powder.

Our 357 mag. ammo adds more power than ever before to the 357 Mag. This ammo is safe to shoot in ANY all steel 357 revolver - this includes J-frames. This ammo is no harder on your gun than any other normal 357 ammo. Please don't phone or email us and ask if this ammo is safe in your gun. It is, providing your gun is in a safe condition for use with any normal 357 ammo.

BUFFALO BORE HEAVY 357 MAG
180 gr. JHP (1,500fps/M.E. 899 ft. lbs.)
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=541

Our 357 mag. ammo adds more power than ever before to the 357 Mag. This ammo is safe to shoot in ANY all steel 357 revolver - this includes J-frames. This ammo is no harder on your gun than any other normal 357 ammo. Please don't phone or email us and ask if this ammo is safe in your gun. It is, providing your gun is in a safe condition for use with any normal 357 ammo.

Good source.

Now safe from exploding and safe from rattling the thing apart are two different things...

Uberti says in there manual
Use ONLY COMMERCIALLY loaded cartridges that have been loaded in accor- dance with SAAMI-C.I.P. standards.

Who wants to unintentionally harm such a fantastic rifle by shooting Boutique rounds.

93D494A6-26C4-4530-9869-DC5682ADAD40.jpeg

What Buffalo is saying is that they have a proprietary 200 grain load using modern powders that increases the cartridges effectiveness while remaining within SAAMI working pressure. Factory proof tests subjected your gun to 120% or more of SAAMI maximum .357 pressure. Any .357 load that is within SAAMI max pressures should be a piece of cake. Sure it's an old design, but made with modern steel alloys and heat-treating methods.

Have you emailed Uberti USA to get their take? I suspect that you will be pleased with what you hear.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top