JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great read, really enjoyed all these posts. The lion catches the slowest gazelle; be alert, and aware at all times.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but it's the women in my life that have put me in bad spots more so than any. Just not having the right instincts on when to leave, when to cross the street, whom to humor and whom to avoid. Fumbling w/ purses and accessories in the wrong parking lots, etc. That's just my experience, your mileage may vary.

No flamming from here. My mileage is the same as yours.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but it's the women in my life that have put me in bad spots more so than any. Just not having the right instincts on when to leave, when to cross the street, whom to humor and whom to avoid. Fumbling w/ purses and accessories in the wrong parking lots, etc. That's just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Throughout the years I've noticed a few things...one of them being that most fights between two guys are usually over a woman, money or respect.

Any girl under my care will face up to lethal response to any real @$$hats who attack them

I take chivalry seriously but I am careful who I place under that banner
If you will not protect a real lady then you are an @$$hat who had best steer clear of me

Don't let the BS even get started.
Probably the best words in this thread. It is amazing how the low lifes/street people etc. have become experts at attempting to start a conversation with anyone, anytime and with virtually no previous involvement. It is getting worse in Bend - I was exiting Bi-Mart the other day and as I was heading out the door a harsh, obviously substance abused voice said to me 'Looks like its gonna rain' I turned to face an obvious drug/alcohol addled person attempting to get my attention and gave him my best cold stare and walked on. I absolutely hate this element now in full-force in Central Oregon.

Probably the best words in this thread. It is amazing how the low lifes/street people etc. have become experts at attempting to start a conversation with anyone, anytime and with virtually no previous involvement. It is getting worse in Bend - I was exiting Bi-Mart the other day and as I was heading out the door a harsh, obviously substance abused voice said to me 'Looks like its gonna rain' I turned to face an obvious drug/alcohol addled person attempting to get my attention and gave him my best cold stare and walked on. I absolutely hate this element now in full-force in Central Oregon.

Bend has changed immensely since I came to Oregon 24 years ago. The growth and all the baggage that comes with it isn't all that appealing though.

Everyplace has changed radically in the last 20 years.. I remember when most of Olympia was a nice decent town except for the downtown stoners and a couple of bums and assorted mostly not-dangerous rubbage

Perhaps I am confusing issues here. I suspect the babbling street people I was referring to are probably for the most part harmless and are just looking for a handout and the best way being to hopefully corner some bleeding hearts into listening to their sob stories. Call me a hard a$$ but I have been downright rude (and sometimes mean) to these types because they can be relentless. My point being these types are probably not hardened criminals but why take the chance? And I have heard stories of these types crossing the line and getting aggressive with their 'victims'. There is enough verified homeless on homeless violence in Bend alone to suggest they are becoming more violent.

Perhaps I am confusing issues here. I suspect the babbling street people I was referring to are probably for the most part harmless and are just looking for a handout and the best way being to hopefully corner some bleeding hearts into listening to their sob stories. Call me a hard a$$ but I have been downright rude (and sometimes mean) to these types because they can be relentless. My point being these types are probably not hardened criminals but why take the chance? And I have heard stories of these types crossing the line and getting aggressive with their 'victims'. There is enough verified homeless on homeless violence in Bend alone to suggest they are becoming more violent.

In 1994 I was younger, more polite/tolerant, and working in downtown Seattle. I left work one afternoon from 6th Ave and walked down to 3rd Ave to get a bus. This guy started walking and talking with me. I was too polite and I think he knew it. I kept telling him 'no' each time he asked for me. As I got near 3rd Ave he got belligerent. I finally lost it and told him to F off and leave me alone. It was then I realized that he was either going to walk away or attack me. I felt the grip on my briefcase tighten and my mind was thinking about how to hit him in the head with it if he came at me. Nothing came of it and he backed off. I became much less polite with street people after that incident.

RVTECH is correct. Don't take a chance, don't start a dialogue, and don't trust them. Some suffer from serious mental-health issues.

Peter

Some are even comical.. as I drove out of the Lacey Top Foods parking lot one day in my Shelby Cobra with my lovely mate (This was before the excellent anti panhandling law was passed) a regular white bum (looked to be in perfect working order and the economy was still good, they staged a plastic bucket there for the bum-rotation-shift) was begging and a black bum (a buddy I guess) pointed to him and pointed at my car and started talking smack about how I OWED the bum something. He was getting rather violent so before it recoursed to firearms I reached over to the passenger side and took up my oak sledgehammer handle I stow there for just such circumstances and smacked it in my other hand and shook my head "no dice" style and that shut him up. My wife was almost in tears, laughing because she knows what I can do with my little finger and those bums were a real comedy act

In 1994 I was younger, more polite/tolerant, and working in downtown Seattle. I left work one afternoon from 6th Ave and walked down to 3rd Ave to get a bus. This guy started walking and talking with me. I was too polite and I think he knew it. I kept telling him 'no' each time he asked for me. As I got near 3rd Ave he got belligerent. I finally lost it and told him to F off and leave me alone. It was then I realized that he was either going to walk away or attack me. I felt the grip on my briefcase tighten and my mind was thinking about how to hit him in the head with it if he came at me. Nothing came of it and he backed off. I became much less polite with street people after that incident.

RVTECH is correct. Don't take a chance, don't start a dialogue, and don't trust them. Some suffer from serious mental-health issues.

Peter

Be a "jerk" and hard@$$ like me and they will back off

Some are even comical.. as I drove out of the Lacey Top Foods parking lot one day in my Shelby Cobra with my lovely mate (This was before the excellent anti panhandling law was passed) a regular white bum (looked to be in perfect working order and the economy was still good, they staged a plastic bucket there for the bum-rotation-shift) was begging and a black bum (a buddy I guess) pointed to him and pointed at my car and started talking smack about how I OWED the bum something. He was getting rather violent so before it recoursed to firearms I reached over to the passenger side and took up my oak sledgehammer handle I stow there for just such circumstances and smacked it in my other hand and shook my head "no dice" style and that shut him up. My wife was almost in tears, laughing because she knows what I can do with my little finger and those bums were a real comedy act

Shame on you! Dont you listen to the Sqawking of the broad Michelle Obamaaaaaa! You elitist pig you! How could you drive your Shelby Cobra and not feel guilty for Emptying your wallet for......... Shelby Cobra did you say? What year? What color? Factory original or reproduction? No matter its still a Cobra, 427 or small block 302? My my those are beautiful cars! Hats off to you sir for having excellent taste in automobiles. A gentleman such as yourself enjoys the finer things in life I am sure! Now what were we talking about?

Blitz,I got off at the 107 exit,heading north, a couple years ago.Panhandler on the side of the road. Started in on a guy back a few cars.Dumbee got out of his car on crutches to talk to the PH,AFTER the PH started crap.
I got out with a collapsible baton and the phone,seems the handler had other places to be.

I could not believe the guy exited his car.What an idiot.And on crutches! I'm sure all he did was look the PH in the eyes and that gave him reason to approach the car.

911 asked if there was any weapons,I said not yet! then hung up. Light turned green as the POS disappeared into the brush

If you have a warm heart for the homeless/needy, give to LOCAL shelters and food banks. That goes for food and a bunk bed, etc. Don't hand cash to trolling scammers. That goes to alcohol, meth, or worse. Usually, you don't have to go that far to help people that really should be helped. We all 'know people' that need help nowadays but are often too proud to ask.

I have given a lot of money percentage-wise to local charities, but if you saw me being approached on the street you'd think I was the coldest person. I have no patience for scammers and their BS.

Avoid large charities like United Way. They are just corp scams. 95% of the money goes to them and their overpaid principals and less than 5% ever makes it to the needy.

One of the worst charitable scams was the help for Haiti after their earthquakes.

Nearly a BILLION was paid to large charitable/scam organizations by caring and generous Americans. Some that have a hard time paying their own bills. ..... and you guessed it, about $-0- ever made it to the Haitians. Four broken toilets serving 4000+ people and that is no joke. If just 10% of the $$ actually made it to them they'd all have fresh water, toilets, food, shelter - but no - some exec needs to hoard a few million a pop.

Human Solutions (humansolutions.org) is a great local charity; they help people get fed, help with utility bills, etc. There are real, good charities out there, but unfortunately all the ones you'd know by name are slimy.

If you have a warm heart for the homeless/needy, give to LOCAL shelters and food banks. That goes for food and a bunk bed, etc. Don't hand cash to trolling scammers. That goes to alcohol, meth, or worse. Usually, you don't have to go that far to help people that really should be helped. We all 'know people' that need help nowadays but are often too proud to ask.

I have given a lot of money percentage-wise to local charities, but if you saw me being approached on the street you'd think I was the coldest person. I have no patience for scammers and their BS.

Avoid large charities like United Way. They are just corp scams. 95% of the money goes to them and their overpaid principals and less than 5% ever makes it to the needy.
One of the worst charitable scams was the help for Haiti after their earthquakes.

Nearly a BILLION was paid to large charitable/scam organizations by caring and generous Americans. Some that have a hard time paying their own bills. ..... and you guessed it, about $-0- ever made it to the Haitians. Four broken toilets serving 4000+ people and that is no joke. If just 10% of the $$ actually made it to them they'd all have fresh water, toilets, food, shelter - but no - some exec needs to hoard a few million a pop.

Human Solutions (humansolutions.org) is a great local charity; they help people get fed, help with utility bills, etc. There are real, good charities out there, but unfortunately all the ones you'd know by name are slimy.

I agree with what you're saying but would like some credible reading to justify the United Way comment. Not saying you're wrong but would just like to read the facts myself.

In addition to the increase in panhandlers due to the economy I think over the past 5-6 years the number of street folks has grown in proportion to the decrease in mental health budgets. While that is a shame there is going to be a tragedy someday when a mentally ill person gets aggressive with the wrong person and justifies a permanent mental illness cure.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top