JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The aggression part is my point...you can't shoot at someone just for having a gun/knife in their hand. You must feel as if you or another in is Jeopardy from the force presented.

Keep in mind that the survivor + any witnesses will write the history. I would never willingly shoot an innocent person, just sayin'

Yes you can, if they are close enough, it's in their hand and they act with any aggression. I am not a mind reader

Probably best if the bad guy dies so it's your story that is the only thing to go on. This is the thing that scares me the most. As we all know if someone wants to hurt you they can be on you danged quick even if they start at 10 yards away. Yes, awareness is key but you may not always be able to take in everything that you need to to be totally situationally aware. I walked out my back gate one evening to get some firewood and had a guy casing my truck. Fortunately, I scared him with some really salty language and a demeanor that said I would jam my truck up his butt. However, we were easily within the 7 yard danger zone. It wasn't that I was being in grass munching bunny mode ... it was a chance face-to-face encounter.

I have done it 7 times, 6 with a handgun. Bad guys don't call the cops...

Wow. I am so glad I a) don't live where you do; b) have not had to do this.

I know that BG's don't call the cops but my question earlier (#13) was about a scenario like being in a grocery store parking lot late. You perhaps pull your gun ... maybe you don't aim it and the BG skeedaddles. However, the lady across the lot only sees me with a gun out not knowing what was going on to cause me to do that. I know it's better safe than sorry and better to have to explain my actions to the cops but I still wonder about being charged with menacing no matter how justified I was in my actions.

Probably best if the bad guy dies so it's your story that is the only thing to go on. This is the thing that scares me the most. As we all know if someone wants to hurt you they can be on you danged quick even if they start at 10 yards away. Yes, awareness is key but you may not always be able to take in everything that you need to to be totally situationally aware. I walked out my back gate one evening to get some firewood and had a guy casing my truck. Fortunately, I scared him with some really salty language and a demeanor that said I would jam my truck up his butt. However, we were easily within the 7 yard danger zone. It wasn't that I was being in grass munching bunny mode ... it was a chance face-to-face encounter.

Wow. I am so glad I a) don't live where you do; b) have not had to do this.

I know that BG's don't call the cops but my question earlier (#13) was about a scenario like being in a grocery store parking lot late. You perhaps pull your gun ... maybe you don't aim it and the BG skeedaddles. However, the lady across the lot only sees me with a gun out not knowing what was going on to cause me to do that. I know it's better safe than sorry and better to have to explain my actions to the cops but I still wonder about being charged with menacing no matter how justified I was in my actions.

And that,good sir,is just what the bad guys feed off of.
They could care less what you ,the old lady across the parking lot or the gall durn cops think about what they need to accomplish,how they look in the public eye.
Which is getting what you got any way necessary.
You don't always have to show the gun.Reaching,putting your hand under your coat,put your hand in your pocket,under the back of your shirt,whatever,then look them straight in the eye.
As to acquire your target.
Just acknowledging they are there will deter most of the BGs

I can say from growing up in the ghetto that most people have a TV impression of being robbed where the thief comes up and demands your wallet. That isn't how it happens, you get physicaly jumped before you know what's going on so the quick draw scenario where you go for the gun instead of pulling out the wallet to hand to them is seriously naive.

Or one person distracts you while the other attacks your six. The always saying NO rule to all the street lowlife is one of the best tips. Don't let the BS even get started. I am one of the most generous people around, but you'd never know it from the 'no's' I dish out on the street. Especially do you have a light, do you have a smoke, do you have spare change ... NO in a very firm tone. At the same time being aware of what is around you.

A friend pointed out I do say "NO thank you" - firmly - when I am being panhandled. He laughed about that. Like I am being solicited for a sale. I have often given homeless people cash without being approached first, there is a difference.

The lowest are the story scammers. I ran out of gas and my mom is waiting out on the highway in the car .... BLEECH .... lowlife con artists.

Good post - After 15 years working for Corrections I agree that stick up guys / carjackers, etc don't exactly think about the consequences before they commit a crime (Felony Stupid applies here). They do prefer soft targets and the best thing to deter them is if they think becoming room temperature in the immediate future may be in the cards.
unfortunately I have had to draw/expose my firearm on at least one occasion - fortunately I didn't have to fire my weapon. About 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning my rottie started growling and didn't settle down - I got up, grabbed my sidearm and quietly went out the front door. I found 2 guys in my driveway that started asking if "John" was home - noticing that they had left their car parked a few doors down with the doors open I pointed out that they knew john didn't live here or they wouldn't have been sneaking up to the house. my hand was behind my back on the gun the entire time until one of them pulled out a screwdriver - immediately the gun came to my side and I pointed out that they had best be leaving and never come back unless they wanted to leave in a coroner's van. Luckily they turned and were on their way. The next day when I was leaving for work I turned the key and the starter fell out - they had been trying to steal the starter out of my car - guess they decided it wasn't worth dying over a part that would cost them $50 at autozone. I was actually surprised that the guy didn't key in on my hand being behind my back ready to draw and was only convinced it was time to go when he saw the gun. All in all everyone was lucky that night. They were both lucky to leave alive and I was lucky I didn't have to shoot - after all, at that location if I had shot them over a screwdriver as a weapon I certainly would have been detained and probably would have been charged as they had not broken into my house as the local DA at the time was more likely to charge you on a righteous shoot than charge them for burglary / B&E.

The lowest are the story scammers. I ran out of gas and my mom is waiting out on the highway in the car .... BLEECH .... lowlife con artists.

Off topic but on example;

Last week I went out grocery shopping in the early morning and was in line behind a lady(40ish, dressed in a food server's outfit) who commented on my selection of frozen veggies(I have a 5 year old that loves brussels sprouts and broccoli). We talked for a short minute and she gathered up her sugary, brightly coloured soft drinks and left...only to ask me for change out the door because she was out of gas. In a rare moment of quick thinking I said " Take me out back and forcefully eject air at me and I'll give you a 20.". The look of shock on her face was classic, and her 15-17ish year old daughter started laughing her head off.

Vlad Tepesh had it right, in regards to beggars, to be honest.

Yes, I am a rude bastard from time to time.

Haha on noisycow's note,I was downtown Seattle years ago and I came across the same pan handler 3 times. I was so bad the second time the third time I just gave him a mean look and he ran off.

I've posted this before.My ex's friend was a criminal physiologist.She would go interview killers and such in prison. She told me of a study that was done where they had prisoners watch security camera footage and pick victims and no goes.
Most all the prisoners picked the exact same people as Yes,No and Maybes.
Some are victims and some aren't.It's all body language and situational awareness as so many here have stated.

I can say from growing up in the ghetto that most people have a TV impression of being robbed where the thief comes up and demands your wallet. That isn't how it happens, you get physicaly jumped before you know what's going on so the quick draw scenario where you go for the gun instead of pulling out the wallet to hand to them is seriously naive.

I have always drawn before they could get to me and mine. Maybe I'm psychic but I always see them coming

All but one of these incidents happened down in the land of fruits and nuts. Seems up here the bad guys tread a little lighter

The funniest bum was in Seattle off the offramp on I5.. he was at least an honest bum, his sign said: "Please, I need beer money"

I'll never give a cent to a homeless beggar- I remember coming home from several weeks "in the field" when I was in the Marines- and there was this dude with a sign saying he was homeless and hungry. Me, having half an alice pack full of MRE's, decided I could at least fix the hungry part for a week or so. So I stopped and told him it was his lucky day- as I start breaking them out, the guy gives me a look like I have a prick growing out of my forehead. Dude flat out refused the MRE's- just goes to show, he wasn't really hungry- just another lazy bubblegum looking for a handout to go buy his next fix. Looking back I think about how freaking dumb it was to get out of my car in the first place armed with only a Ka-Bar. I get nervous now when I'm commuting on my motorcycle because all the panhandlers around here seem to think that since I'm not encased in metal with a radio blasting I somehow have any interest in anything they have to say. I really don't like it when I'm stuck at a stoplight and they start to approach me...hopefully the jacket flip idea will help, even if I don't have my pistol...

Great read, really enjoyed all these posts. The lion catches the slowest gazelle; be alert, and aware at all times.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but it's the women in my life that have put me in bad spots more so than any. Just not having the right instincts on when to leave, when to cross the street, whom to humor and whom to avoid. Fumbling w/ purses and accessories in the wrong parking lots, etc. That's just my experience, your mileage may vary.

This is a great article! Situational awareness is key in any environment and we should all train with our weapons as much as possible. I agree with skruffy, I'm sharing this with my wife as well.

As inflation is kicking in, the thugs and meth-heads are going to get more and more desperate. When gas goes to $10-12+ a gallon, people will be robbed at gunpoint in their cars for their gas.

Exciting and challenging times ahead. Some people in Florida are already paying $6. Gas was $1.80 or so in 2009 as a comparison.

Many food products have gone up 2-3x in that time frame. Of course the government would have the gullible public believe there is 'no inflation.'

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top