JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Today went out calling just east of home and found a very nice sporterized Mauser in 25-06 on my way into a stand. High grade dual wood, checkered bolt and high end scope. With the weather wear it looks to have been dropped in the only the last few months. Asked the two neighboring property owners of the BLM land where I was calling if it was there's and they didn't recognize it. As it was found on BLM land it could be from anywhere considering how little of our area is not private land.

After I finished calling for the day I stopped by the Sheriffs office to have them run the numbers and try to locate the owner. I really do hope they find the owner of the rife as it seems they put allot of time and money into it. If they are not able to locate him/her I guess at some point they will give the rifle to me as long as she comes back clean. Will be a neat project restoring it.

Today went out calling just east of home and found a very nice sporterized Mauser in 25-06 on my way into a stand. High grade dual wood, checkered bolt and high end scope. With the weather wear it looks to have been dropped in the only the last few months. Asked the two neighboring property owners of the BLM land where I was calling if it was there's and they didn't recognize it. As it was found on BLM land it could be from anywhere considering how little of our area is not private land.

After I finished calling for the day I stopped by the Sheriffs office to have them run the numbers and try to locate the owner. I really do hope they find the owner of the rife as it seems they put allot of time and money into it. If they are not able to locate him/her I guess at some point they will give the rifle to me as long as she comes back clean. Will be a neat project restoring it.

It's mine. I lost it. Send it to me. :s0112: :s0112: :s0112:

i wouldnt count on getting it back, even if the sheriff cant locate the owner. a sporterized mauser has probably been around the block a time or two without transfer papers. it would be a nice keeper if it comes back.

Sad but probably true, only hope is my father is the president of our county Search and Rescue and we have a close relationship with the Sheriff.

He is a very strait forward and honest guy who I actually believe will do the right thing.

Mausers are not exactly my thing, and I believe it will cost as much to restore it as its worth so I can honestly say I hope they find the original owner (hoping he called it in missing/lost) as it looked like one of those labor of love rifles and not something obtained just because of its cost.

Now if I ever find a Barrett 50 in the woods, I will probably be praying the original owner fell off the face of the planet.

:D

Great thread, Sandman! I really enjoyed reading these, even the creepy ones. My add to the thread is something that found me, really. I was walking a friend's land on the sunny side of the Cascades two years ago, mostly sage and lava outcroppings, shooting at squirrels with my little .17, when a cougar jumped into my path about 30 yards away. He looked very calm, kinda huffed at me, then walked into the sagebrush to my left. It amazes me to this day how quickly he disappeared,, although I didn't trail him very far. Kinda of melted away. Motivated me to get a .357 Blackhawk single action to take squirrel hunting!

O.K. Here is mine.

I found a drunk but very alive mouse in a bottle of booze once. He must of crawled in and got himself plastered and couldn't get out! I felt bad, broke the bottle and that little mouse stumbled around the ground like Otis! No kindding, one of the funniest things I have seen.

I found a very nice, expensive, unusual car in the woods with a guy in his tighty whiteies taking pictures of a gal on the hood who must have misplaced all of her clothes! We rode buy on our horses and he told us to get out of there in language that wasn't so kind, we kind of chuckled as we were 16 years old and had 30-30's in scabbards and pistols. We rode by and then decided to go back because that car was so unusual and we needed one more look. Well a few months or so latter I walk into the Sherriff's office and guess who I find in uniform? None other than Mr. Fruit of the Loom himself holding a camera of all things! I just about died, I thought I was dead for sure, he didn't recognize me. A few years latter I found out who's wife she was. Let's just say she wasn't married to the force!

I found a cabin in the deep woods. A guy built it and lived there nearly all of his life until the late 80's. He died and left it as it was when he left. As a kid we "explored" it. The funny thing is that he had a two room cabin, one room he slept in and one room for the stove/cooking but they weren't connected. You had to walk outside to the other side of the cabin and go in another door? I never could figure that one out. Unfortunatley the cabin burned in a forest fire.

I found a spooky old house that was homesteaded from the early 1900's. Inside the walls were covered in squirel skins that were pinned to the walls! They had been there for some time, maybe a few years, for the life of me I never figured out why and why there?

I also found a fish who swallowed another fish the same size. Both where dead and when I found it I thought that I found a fish with a tail on both ends! Craziest thing, the one fish was halfway inside the other!

I walked into a deep box canyon where there was a waterfall. At the base of the waterfall the pool was full of big, big, trout. Next to it I found a place where there where rock chips strewn everywhere, where indians used to camp and make arrowheads I guess. I walked back out, it was so steep I had to sit down and rest and a fighter jet came through the canyon I was in. I could litterally look down into the cockpit! I could have hit him with a rock! I don't know if he had a clue I was there or not, he wasn't too friendly, he didn't wave.

O.K. Here is mine.

I found a cabin in the deep woods. A guy built it and lived there nearly all of his life until the late 80's. He died and left it as it was when he left. As a kid we "explored" it. The funny thing is that he had a two room cabin, one room he slept in and one room for the stove/cooking but they weren't connected. You had to walk outside to the other side of the cabin and go in another door? I never could figure that one out. Unfortunatley the cabin burned in a forest fire.

I also found a fish who swallowed another fish the same size. Both where dead and when I found it I thought that I found a fish with a tail on both ends! Craziest thing, the one fish was halfway inside the other!

I walked into a deep box canyon where there was a waterfall. At the base of the waterfall the pool was full of big, big, trout. Next to it I found a place where there where rock chips strewn everywhere, where indians used to camp and make arrowheads I guess. I walked back out, it was so steep I had to sit down and rest and a fighter jet came through the canyon I was in. I could litterally look down into the cockpit! I could have hit him with a rock! I don't know if he had a clue I was there or not, he wasn't too friendly, he didn't wave.

I can give you a little more on what/why on these two.

In the south they built cabins in two parts with a covered breezeway between for the summer months. That way the cooking heat would not make the sleeping quarters too hot, and if it was really hot outside they would just sleep in the breezeway. Down south it rarely gets cold enough to worry about having to heat the sleeping quarters. The old boy that built this cabin probably came from one of the southern states.

Your fighter (depending on when) was probably an A6 varient from Whidbey Island Naval air station. They had a practice bombing runs on the Boardman range in Oregon that took them through the canyons in the Cascades and the basin. Two reasons for this: They were trying to get to Boardman without being detected by defensive radar, and they were practicing their terrain avoidence. The A6 was a night attack aircraft.

Yes, Your are right! It was an A6. I looked it up online and remember the "tube" coming up and out just in front of the cockpit.

Thanks for the info on the Cabin, it makes sense now.

I can give you a little more on what/why on these two.

In the south they built cabins in two parts with a covered breezeway between for the summer months. That way the cooking heat would not make the sleeping quarters too hot, and if it was really hot outside they would just sleep in the breezeway. Down south it rarely gets cold enough to worry about having to heat the sleeping quarters. The old boy that built this cabin probably came from one of the southern states.

Your fighter (depending on when) was probably an A6 varient from Whidbey Island Naval air station. They had a practice bombing runs on the Boardman range in Oregon that took them through the canyons in the Cascades and the basin. Two reasons for this: They were trying to get to Boardman without being detected by defensive radar, and they were practicing their terrain avoidence. The A6 was a night attack aircraft.

In Oregon, it's legal to build or buy a shed up to 120 square feet with no permit, but it has to be "portable" so it has to be either lightweight on the ground (typical metal shed), or maybe stick framed but on skids. I know a guy who built 3 of them, 10x12 and connected them with simple roofed breezeways and he lives in them. If he gets caught (can't live in them) he has little to lose. He has an outhouse and gets water from a creek. I think he's about 80 years old. I hope he never gets shut down.

I bet the guy that lost that rifle will never again go to take a poop in the woods without putting up flagging tape so he can find where he left his weapon. :s0112:

This wasn't so much 'found' as just weird.

When I was 18, I was camping along the LNF Santiam with my girlfriend and her church group. Late at night, after everyone had settled in for bed, I woke up to the "wump wump wump" of helicopters coming up the canyon. The sound got very, very loud so I poked my head out and looked up. The helos buzzed us overhead, just barely above the tree tops, all blacked out. I'm guessing these were boys from the National Guard base in Salem doing night op training. They flew up the canyon, and a few minutes later came blasting back down the canyon, still running dark.

Another experience, when I was about 21 and on my first marriage - I took my wife camping up along Butte Creek in Marion County. We camped along the creek near a bridge. I woke up one morning to find a GIANT pile of human-looking poo about 20 yards from the tent, right at edge where the stream bed gravel gave way to dirt and vegetation near the base of the bridge. That was kind of freaky, since it wasn't there the day before when we set up camp, wasn't there that evening (we were the only campers in the area) - and hadn't seen any vehicles on the road since late afternoon the day before. It certainly wasn't coyote or cougar poop. It looked very human. Maybe bear poop, maybe we had a visitor that evening, or maybe 'squatch decided to prank us. Dunno. Did reinforce why I carry in the woods though - something big enough to leave a massive pile of poop is probably big enough to be harmful to my health, and may not care for my presence.

Just remembered: when I was about 10 years old, a good friend & I were exploring the woods at the end of my block on the Southside of Chicago. We were about 10-20 feet from the street just working on a little fort, and I stepped a few yards away to take a leak. Saw a bit of shiney metal--found a little .32 or .38 revolver. I had a neighbor that was a LT for the CPD. Gave it to him to dispose of properly. Prolly ended up his glovebox gun.

O.K. Here is mine.

I found a drunk but very alive mouse in a bottle of booze once. He must of crawled in and got himself plastered and couldn't get out! I felt bad, broke the bottle and that little mouse stumbled around the ground like Otis! No kindding, one of the funniest things I have seen.

I found a very nice, expensive, unusual car in the woods with a guy in his tighty whiteies taking pictures of a gal on the hood who must have misplaced all of her clothes! We rode buy on our horses and he told us to get out of there in language that wasn't so kind, we kind of chuckled as we were 16 years old and had 30-30's in scabbards and pistols. We rode by and then decided to go back because that car was so unusual and we needed one more look. Well a few months or so latter I walk into the Sherriff's office and guess who I find in uniform? None other than Mr. Fruit of the Loom himself holding a camera of all things! I just about died, I thought I was dead for sure, he didn't recognize me. A few years latter I found out who's wife she was. Let's just say she wasn't married to the force!

LOL!! I'll bet he thought about that every once and a while. I'll bet he said to himself, sweating, "Man, I sure as hell hope that kid doesn't recognize me..." His career would have been over if you didn't like this guy.

Another experience, when I was about 21 and on my first marriage - I took my wife camping up along Butte Creek in Marion County. We camped along the creek near a bridge. I woke up one morning to find a GIANT pile of human-looking poo about 20 yards from the tent, right at edge where the stream bed gravel gave way to dirt and vegetation near the base of the bridge. That was kind of freaky, since it wasn't there the day before when we set up camp, wasn't there that evening (we were the only campers in the area) - and hadn't seen any vehicles on the road since late afternoon the day before. It certainly wasn't coyote or cougar poop. It looked very human. Maybe bear poop, maybe we had a visitor that evening, or maybe 'squatch decided to prank us. Dunno. Did reinforce why I carry in the woods though - something big enough to leave a massive pile of poop is probably big enough to be harmful to my health, and may not care for my presence.

I know for certain that bear and cat poo does not look remotely human...HHHMMMMM

I was up on Goat Mt. four wheeling with friends, I found 4ft bolt cutter next to a steel gate and a nice shovel. There was a recent Tank trap on one side of the gate leading me to believe it was private property. People do some weird stuff up there including 4 or 5 cars at the bottom of the radio tower cliff(more the 100ft up) not much left but smashed wreckage. if you lost a car and never found it, it might be up there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top