JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
121.jpg

Tripped on this while bunny hunting back in April...thought it was kinda random to find it the way I did.

Nice to find a Quarter Corner :) Lets you know exactly where you are {if you're into paper maps at least}.

I don't know if one would consider this strange, weird or just creepy, but I once stumbled across a small duffel bag under a pile of leaves. The bag contained a water bottle, a bandana, two pairs of panties and six rounds of .30-30 ammo.
This reminded me of a similar 'style' of find. A few years ago while driving home (between Bend and Sunriver) I noticed something out of the ordinary about 150 yards off the road, I pulled over and hiked to it and noticed it was an army duffel bag filled with something and the clasp was closed with the spring hook on it. This raised all sorts of thoughts such as dropped money, a crime scene gone bad (no bodies or other evidence) or worse... anyway I threw a few rocks at it to determine if the contents were solid or soft. After determining there was nothing solid in it I went ahead and opened it and poked a stick inside and saw some cloth items. I decided it was safe so I dug the contents out and there was a dirty pair of ski bibs, a dirty jacket, a bunch of assorted junk of no use (not even for survival) and a very nice stainless steel serving tray. Everything went in the trash but the tray. I cleaned it up and use it to lay racks of ribs for seasoning prior to BBQ. It was an odd find in an odd location but there are a fair amount of transients that wander and camp in the area. I circled the area for a while thinking I may find an 'expired' transient but nothing else.

Onka-Boo: Please tell us a bit closer to where you were. Us map people are courious.

Two Clones: ever heard of "My Topo" (company) or "Terrain Navigator (Pro)" software? I have OR and WA, plus access to ariels. Super good software. Out of Montana. 7.5 min, 15min, 1:100,00 and 1:250,000 topos for the whole US, by state.

Two Clones: ever heard of "My Topo" (company) or "Terrain Navigator (Pro)" software? I have OR and WA, plus access to ariels. Super good software. Out of Montana. 7.5 min, 15min, 1:100,00 and 1:250,000 topos for the whole US, by state.

I have not. I use Delorme Xmap Pro for work, part of which is locating section and quarter corners. Cannot simply dump them into my Garmin without first creating waypoints in Delorme then transferring. Do the clients you mention have corner waypoints ready to transfer?

I have not. I use Delorme Xmap Pro for work, part of which is locating section and quarter corners. Cannot simply dump them into my Garmin without first creating waypoints in Delorme then transferring. Do the clients you mention have corner waypoints ready to transfer?

I know Terrain Navigator Pro will download on some Garmins (I don't own a Garmin)...it is more Trimble level software though. (might be because they are owned by Trimble) Here is the link, chek them out...

They have a little "?" option that you can put on any published BM or other marker and it will come up with the history and location as published...most state markers too. The picture of the 1/4 marker was not numbered so it is probably not in that data base, but if it was, the number would be all you need to find it on a map.

<broken link removed>

Arials are 1:1200 and as good as the original photos. In city photos may be 1:3,620 like I said, depends on the reselution of the original Arial.

I have owned/used Terrain Navigator Pro for years. Even before Trimble bought them out. I have other mapping software, but TNP is my go-to package. Very versitile.

Here is a clip at the end of a long list of garmin compatable GPS:

"The Colorado, Dakota, Oregon, and GPSmap 62 are mass storage/custom-map capable GPSs which support the transfer of topographic maps from Terrain Navigator and Terrain Navigator Pro, as well as aerial photos from Terrain Navigator Pro."

OK guys; your creative writing assignment is; Come up with a scenario where this stuff gets left behind
I don't know if one would consider this strange, weird or just creepy, but I once stumbled across a small duffel bag under a pile of leaves. The bag contained a water bottle, a bandana, two pairs of panties and six rounds of .30-30 ammo.

After close examination of the bags contents, I noticed that one of the lead bullets was not seated properly. I pulled on it and found a tightly wrapped piece of paper and a hundred dollar bill inside.
Written on the paper were instructions concerning the contents of the duffel bag. "Go to the next town East of here, and find Red, he will be waiting for you."
After replacing everything back into the bag, I reluctantly started walking towards the highway. If only I had listened to my better judgement and held on to that Winchester 30/30 rifle, it might come in handy when I meet up with Red.

Great thread.
My story comes from a man in his 70's that needs to be shared. True story I spoke with the kids (now in thier late 40's). After returning from a long day of hunting with his son and sons friend. Dad noticed the kids had filed thier pockets with rocks. He asked why on earth would they fill their pockets with rocks while out hunting. The son and his friend told him they were filled with gold. The father of course did not believe them and looked at the rocks. Sure enough they were quartz rocks that had a gold vien in them. The kids told Dad there was rocks like this everywhere under "THE TREE". The family has been back every year for near 20 years and have yet to find this spot again.

2 years ago I went to the "The tree" hunting. Only to find everything is now fenced and gated and there is a huge gold mine there.. Its in the Bonapart area. Makes ya wonder...

This <broken link removed> must be what you are talking about?

Onka-Boo: Please tell us a bit closer to where you were. Us map people are courious.

BLM land east of Adel, OR.

BLM land east of Adel, OR.

If you are talking about T39S R25E 1/4 section marker between south 1/2 Sec 20 and South 1/2 sec 21 it should be approxamately 42.1699597N, 119.7968969W at an elevation of about 4533 ft on an uphill slope about 715 ft east from hyw 140 centerline.

Did I find the rght place? Ruffly 6 miles east of Adel?

If you are talking about T39S R25E 1/4 section marker between south 1/2 Sec 20 and South 1/2 sec 21 it should be approxamately 48.1699597N, 119.7968969W at an elevation of about 4533 ft on an uphill slope about 715 ft east from hyw 140 centerline.

The coordinates you have put it in north central WA. Yes, we were about 6 miles east of Adel, that sounds about right....I should have marked it better at the time but didn't think about it. Had a great time over there, we were staying just north of Plush, awesome country. Hart Mountain Antelope refuge is worth the trip if you're ever in the area, there are some GREAT views of the Steens.

168.jpg

Here's one of Warner Valley from the road going up to the refuge:

182.jpg

If you are talking about T39S R25E 1/4 section marker between south 1/2 Sec 20 and South 1/2 sec 21 it should be approxamately 48.1699597N, 119.7968969W at an elevation of about 4533 ft on an uphill slope about 715 ft east from hyw 140 centerline.

I bet you're the life of the christmas party

Is that on top of the hill on the flat? Which side of the road?

The coordinates you have put it in north central WA. Yes, we were about 6 miles east of Adel, that sounds about right....I should have marked it better at the time but didn't think about it. Had a great time over there, we were staying just north of Plush, awesome country. Hart Mountain Antelope refuge is worth the trip if you're ever in the area, there are some GREAT views of the Steens.

Yep, I actually got a nice mule deer there about 30 years ago. That's beautiful country. Being in Medford, that's the route we always take anyway to go East out of here. We wind up on I-80 at Winnemucca. It's about 6 hours faster than first going to Sacramento, or even through Susanville. 140 to Denio, then straight S. to 80.

I bet you're the life of the christmas party

I worked for a land surveyor for a few years. Miss the job like hell, and I gotta say, the T39S R25E 1/4 section marker between south 1/2 Sec 20 and South 1/2 sec 21 it should be approxamately 48.1699597N, 119.7968969W at an elevation of about 4533 ft on an uphill slope about 715 ft east from hyw 140 centerline definately gets me a little excited

Hej: Sorry guys...TYPO Please change the "48" to a "42"

Actuall#s are: 42.1699597N and 119.7968969W

BTW: those are beautiful pictures of the area!

Added; Oh ya, one more question: did you get to use any of the hot springs while you were there? There are a bunch out in that general area if I remember correctly.

nwwoodsman: I used to do some surveying too...that is where the map programs came from. That and ACRCad, and Land.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top