JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Came up behind a slow moving, junky looking Datsun on a one lane dirt road in the woods. After a few hundred yards the car stops and out gets a long haired guy about 25 and a slightly younger woman. Both are hippy-looking in a Charles Manson way. The guy says something about his wife seeing a snake a little ways back and can I help them identify what type it is? They are both walking toward my truck, him on the driver's side and her on the passenger side, the girl with her right hand hidden under her shirt.

I start slowly backing my truck to maintain a distance of about 30 feet while the guy keeps talking, and both of them keep walking. I say "Sorry, I can't help you." and I start backing up as fast as I can. Eventually, I do a skid-type u-turn and high tail it out of there. Left them standing there in the road. Now I CCW whenever I'm in the woods.

My dad fought Secret War of Laos on behalf of the U.S. and he told me a story a couple of years ago about his war buddy in California. His buddy was out in the woods, alone, stalking deer with an SKS when he started smelling marijuana. In wishful thinking, knowing deer love to eat marijuana plants and with it nearing winter, he was hoping that he was headed toward a grow operation that had already been harvested and abandoned. As he encroached on the operation, the story goes that someone fired a shot that hit the ground right beside him. Maybe it was a warning shot maybe it wasn't; but being in jungle warfare before, my father's buddy dropped to the ground and crawled away as someone kept firing at him. He took cover behind a tree and looked for the threat. The threat stood sentry on a tree stand still trying to acquire him as a target. My father told me that his friend shot the guy off the tree stand and then immediately removed his scope, he listened, looked and then ran as fast as he could through the forest without stopping. Not knowing whom he shot, he never told the authorities in fear of retaliation. Maybe it's just an urban legend my father started to keep us vigilant while deep inside the forest, since this was told to me right before my first hunting trip without my father present.

The weirdest thing I've ever seen in the woods would be a car on fire up on what was previously known as Squaw Mountain. It was logging road in dead winter with three feet of snow on the ground and snow continuing to fall. Not a soul near the car, no whisper of anything on the whole mountain except those of mother nature. Must have been stolen; if you're missing a 1992 Honda Accord EX and it was misplaced in winter of 2010, I may have found your car.

While hunting in pierce county about twenty years ago I ran across an old army tarp that was grown over with briars and weeds and found an antique gold dredge under it. most of the wood had rotted away but you could still tell what it was and I still have the old steel gold pan that was there.

When I was a young and bored youth in the wonderfully tiny town of Greensborough AL I would bike to my uncle's place and take out one of the horses. It was summer and the place was so small and TV was three channels so I went out riding. Grabbed a small pack and just rode. On one trip I was nearly 2 days ride away from his house and looking for a likely spot to fish or shoot something to eat when I saw this copse of trees and vines. Kudzu is the devil down there and eats everything it grows on. Turns out it was just a handfull of trees and a mostly crumbled plantation manor. I pulled a couple scythe blades, some dinner plates and a crusty pile of disintegrating wood and iron that turned out to be a musket of some sort. I honestly hoped I'd find a serviceable axe head because I left my bloody hatchet at my house.

The place was huge too. Not as big as you see in the movies, but the biggest house I'd ever been in. I ended up camping on the front porch that night and man it was creepy.

When I was a young and bored youth in the wonderfully tiny town of Greensborough AL I would bike to my uncle's place and take out one of the horses. It was summer and the place was so small and TV was three channels so I went out riding. Grabbed a small pack and just rode. On one trip I was nearly 2 days ride away from his house and looking for a likely spot to fish or shoot something to eat when I saw this copse of trees and vines. Kudzu is the devil down there and eats everything it grows on. Turns out it was just a handfull of trees and a mostly crumbled plantation manor. I pulled a couple scythe blades, some dinner plates and a crusty pile of disintegrating wood and iron that turned out to be a musket of some sort. I honestly hoped I'd find a serviceable axe head because I left my bloody hatchet at my house.

The place was huge too. Not as big as you see in the movies, but the biggest house I'd ever been in. I ended up camping on the front porch that night and man it was creepy.

I'll be it was, what an awesome find! great stories!

I was listening to that whole thing on the radio when it happened, wonder where he ended up, I know they have found some money along the Columbia river, in the past. Was it like around thanksgiving time?

I was listening to that whole thing on the radio when it happened, wonder where he ended up, I know they have found some money along the Columbia river, in the past. Was it like around thanksgiving time?

I think it's out there now. I recall one of his younger family members wrote a book or told the story this summer or that's when i saw the report on the news.

My family and I were vacationing in Death Valley. My dad and I started off walking behind the Inn and walked for hours. We saw two of the strangest things I've ever seen in the wilderness. Out in the middle of the desert rocks and Joshua trees we came upon a concrete driveway leading down about 20' underground. At the end of the driveway was what I can only describe as a store front. It had a door, windows, a mail slot and drawn curtains. No writing or signs. The door was locked. No road or trail leading up to it. The strangest thing was that it looked maintained. Clean windows, swept driveway. Unexplainable.
On the hike back, we both heard a "tink" at our feet. It sounded like glass. Something about 8-10" tall took off running away from us at an incredible speed, kicking up a dust trail as it went. Neither of us got a good look at it, but we both agreed that it seemed to be up on hind legs, and we got the distinct impression of some kind of fluttering. Maybe wings? Closest thing I can think of is one of those lizards that has a kind of fan around its head and runs on hind legs. But I just dont think that was what it was.

The one thing (besides Big Foot) that you DO NOT want to stumble across is a WWII Japanese Balloon that they sent over with incendiary bombs.
Years ago it killed a family camping in the woods here in Oregon.

Many years ago I was camping with a friend in the area of Marion Forks and while hiking we came across several stone covered mounds (in the appropriate dimensions) and one was crudely marked. It was not like a cemetery but just a few random graves along the trail.

Came across one guy sleeping in a horse camp along the trail in the warm springs area. When our troop pulled in. We started setting up camp for the night and pumping water this guy woke up and came over to talk. Pretty weird guy. Claimed to live out there and only went into town periodically to get supplies. I took him for a hippy weed grower and kept an eye on him. Didn't seem to have the gear to live out in the woods like he claimed. But he was friendly and not threatening.

Told the scouts some bad advice about water. Seems you didn't need to filter it around the horse camp there and if you held it up to the light you'd be able to see any giardia swimming around if there was any. We were polite, but clear to the boys after he took off not to believe a word he said.

You find all types of people hiking the PCT

hell0018web.jpg

Just on the east side of 8 lakes basin in Jefferson Wilderness in July of 1975 we had just come from the direction of the arrow.

THIS is by far the creepiest IMO.

The place where we built our home was an old homestead, more than 100 years old. It had overgrown so badly I could hardly walk around on it. When I got equipment on it to clear it, I found all kinds of cool things, mostly rusted, including a stripped model T.

Was it the same Model T those guys and their dogs were riding in? shibber - that's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too spookey for me.

tac

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads