JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I stole this from another Forum that I frequent... what are some of the strange, scary, or funny things that you have come across while out in the woods hunting. I have come across abandon hunting camps...abandon for months, everything was in poor condition, tent was falling down snowed over but still in place, also came across a grave site, old vehicles, drop sites for mutilated animals etc. all kinds of crazy stuff. what have you come across???

One time we were way back, and I mean way back, say 3 hours along this POS dirt road which ran along the top of this ridge looking for quail. We passed a house and didn't think anything of it until we stopped to admire the view from the top. A few minutes into the stop and along comes a beat up open top model T with a group of guys straight out of deliverance puttering up this road along with the 20 or so blood hounds following them. They passed us without even looking at us, with their gaze straight ahead (with their shotguns between their knees) and kept going. We got out of there pretty quick

hell0018web.jpg

Just on the east side of 8 lakes basin in Jefferson Wilderness in July of 1975 we had just come from the direction of the arrow.

Craziest thing i want to admit to seeing was an illegal grow op with some hippy looking dude there. This was when my friends first started taking me hunting back in mid 90s. He came and spoke to us all calm and offered up some of his goods even! We declined and went on our way scared he was contemplating killing us for finding it! Can't imagine who we would've ran into these days with who is doing the illegal grows now and the fire fight we may have got into with them! Luckily it was a peace and weed loving hippy not a cartel grow with armed guards or something!!!

A few years ago we went to a friend's property - he has 40 acres in the middle of nowhere surrounded by forest service land and you have to go over 2 dams and through 3 locked forest service gates to get to. While we were up there shooting on his property we had a group of 4 people come up on 4 wheelers and try to run us off of his property waiving around a video camera and threatening to turn us in for shooting there, etc... My friend pulled out his phone and called the local sheriff and told him that there were people trespassing on his land threatening us and they better get out there before someone got shot. The people immediately left after calling their bluff about calling the cops. While waiting for the sheriff to show up we started looking around the property and found 3 solar panels and followed the wiring down to a sump pump stuck in a large irrigation ditch at the edge of the property. We followed the hose from the pump pulling it up out of the pine needles as we went for about 700 yards to a half acre pot grow operation someone (most likely the people who tried to run us off) had set up on his land. When the sheriff got there we showed him the setup and he called out the some forest service guys from the camp program and they cut and hauled off all of the 5' tall or so plants. After talking to the sheriff for a while he told us we should take the solar panels, sump pump, etc and call it "rent for use of the land" just so long as it wasn't left there for the illegal farmers continued use. He asked if there would be any problem with a few of his guys "camping" on the place for a few days to see if the growers returned and suggested that cell phone coverage up there could be spotty and it would be understandable if we couldn't call them until after defending ourselves if they showed up again....
so total found - 3 3'x5' solar panels, about 10 deep cycle batteries, 250' of wire, ac/dc converter, sump pump, 700 yards of flexible sprinkler line, and a drip irrigation system that serviced a 1/2 acre plot, 4 lawn chairs, and one portable radio.

so total found - 3 3'x5' solar panels, about 10 deep cycle batteries, 250' of wire, ac/dc converter, sump pump, 700 yards of flexible sprinkler line, and a drip irrigation system that serviced a 1/2 acre plot, 4 lawn chairs, and one portable radio.

Total score! All I got was a story and some pot offered to me! Much rather have ended my story with "so in total we got" followed by something more then scared and almost high... :)

The place where we built our home was an old homestead, more than 100 years old. It had overgrown so badly I could hardly walk around on it. When I got equipment on it to clear it, I found all kinds of cool things, mostly rusted, including a stripped model T. There we lots of really old bottles, a couple of axe heads - things like that. We cleared it slowly like we were on a treasure hunt, and went over all of it with a metal detector.

I stole this from another Forum that I frequent...
If you are referring to the I-Fish forum that thread is probably now past 25 pages with some really interesting stories and pictures.
This is off Vandervert Road near where I live. The deerlegs wrap around the tree and are up to about 15 feet. Some of them have been there a long time up to nearly fresh. I suspect this is some sort of poachers 'calling card' as legs show up on the tree out of season.
deerleg1.jpg

For some reason this one strikes me as a little eerie.

If you are referring to the I-Fish forum that thread is probably now past 25 pages with some really interesting stories and pictures.
This is off Vandervert Road near where I live. The deerlegs wrap around the tree and are up to about 15 feet. Some of them have been there a long time up to nearly fresh. I suspect this is some sort of poachers 'calling card' as legs show up on the tree out of season.
deerleg1.jpg

I dont know if this is strange, but while hunting in Montana me and my partner were heading back home and found this brass post in the middle of BF no where, so we stoped to look at it and the inscription said United states border/ Canada border, so it looks like we were in Canda for half the day! never seen another sole and this was many years ago so I count myself pretty lucky. today you would never get that far before someone stoped you and asked what the ???? you doing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top