JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wind up replacing my hoses every year or so. The ends get run over, the hoses get sliced by the flail mower/etc., and the cheap ones either rot or break from freezing. They windup in the dump eventually.
Not these. Super high quality, I guess. 25 years later, still like the day I found them.

Last Edited:

I wind up replacing my hoses every year or so. The ends get run over, the hoses get sliced by the flail mower/etc., and the cheap ones either rot or break from freezing. They windup in the dump eventually.
Also, gophers are perfectly capable of biting a nice watering slit in hoses at a spot where they want a little water fountain. Cheap hoses collapse when empty and bends or places where they are stepped on develop cracks wherever the hose is compressed. Driving over even good hose can ruin it. And all hoses need to be drained before freezing weather.

You might be able to mitigate some of that by not running over the ends or running them over with a mower.

This didn't happen in the woods, but I'll submit it anyway. I gillnet in SW Alaska. We were fishing in a vary remote section of the Bay, near the outlet of a large stream. It was 3:00 AM, fishing was slow, when suddenly the whole cork line sank below the surface. Something big! Big Kings sometimes swim in little groups. We figured that's what it was and excitedly pulled in the net to find...an ancient, rust-covered box springs. It came downstream but, other than Brown bears, there's nobody upstream. Total wilderness. Who knows how the thing got there. Anyway, it shouldn't have been. We had a good laugh.

Not these. Super high quality, I guess. Still like the day I found them.

We saw an Emu running with some elk south east of Mt Adams. That was rather unexpected & weird.
Maybe they were filming one of those Liberty Mutual commercials ?
Not so easy when the grass is chest high.

I do try to not run over the ends when they are laying on the driveway, but sometimes the pesky things move to line up with the tires.
The delivery guys are the worst.
If there is something you don't want run over, they will find it and crush it.

Once out in the woods my dog stared across a small meadow and gave a soft "grrrf" to indicate something strange or unusual. I said "Check it out," and she ran to the weeds and brush just beyond the far side of the meadow. When I got there I discovered a huge cheap suitcase emanating a suspicious smell. The suitcase was big enough to hold a chopped up human body. The smell was of something very long dead. Still odorous but not very. It was a perfect place to dump something you really needed to get rid of and didn't want to be caught with. Little dead end road giving car access. Away from any homes or traffic. I stood there a while just looking at the suitcase. Then decided that I could do my shooting and pick some berries before opening suitcase. It had probably been there a while. A few hours more wouldn't hurt. I was interested to notice just how much I didn't want to find a body. So I went off and did my shooting and berry picking and came back later.

Hooves and skulls of about seven deer. I figure a party of poachers took the deer and then dumped the hooves and skulls this way so that the incriminating evidence would not be in their trash.

Maybe they were filming one of those Liberty Mutual commercials ?

The delivery guys are the worst.
If there is something you don't want run over, they will find it and crush it.
The PP&L meter reader lady drove almost 100 yards past the meter so she could run over my hose that was stretched across the grave driveway. She told her supervisor that there was no place else to turn around. Everyone else backs up 20 feet to the side road to turn around. I pointed out that the only access they have is to the meter and to service the overhead lines which are over the meter and don't come any closer to the house.

I told the supervisor that I was recording the call and it was notice of trespass. I said if she goes past the meter again, I'm filing charges. No meter reader has come past the meter since then.

This didn't happen in the woods, but I'll submit it anyway. I gillnet in SW Alaska. We were fishing in a vary remote section of the Bay, near the outlet of a large stream. It was 3:00 AM, fishing was slow, when suddenly the whole cork line sank below the surface. Something big! Big Kings sometimes swim in little groups. We figured that's what it was and excitedly pulled in the net to find...an ancient, rust-covered box springs. It came downstream but, other than Brown bears, there's nobody upstream. Total wilderness. Who knows how the thing got there. Anyway, it shouldn't have been. We had a good laugh.
Obviously they threw out Papa Bear's mattress bc it was too hard and lumpy!

We get the occasional limb, but in my case, whole tops like to pop off and take out power/cable lines.
During the storm that took out the bridge, top 15 feet or so broke off and just missed the house (still have some broken shingles on that side of the house, where a couple of limbs grazed it).
Did a number on the drain field, though. We had to do some diggin', once we cut the tree top out of the way.
...dam sails....
About 15 years ago, another tree broke about 20 feet up and smacked the roof....then we had to call insurance.
Had a sweet gum (about 50' tall) out front. A high wind storm come through over night. Woke up to find a major branch had broken off and speared into the ground at least 2 feet+ deep into the ground!

The PP&L meter reader lady drove almost 100 yards past the meter so she could run over my hose that was stretched across the grave driveway. She told her supervisor that there was no place else to turn around. Everyone else backs up 20 feet to the side road to turn around. I pointed out that the only access they have is to the meter and to service the overhead lines which are over the meter and don't come any closer to the house.

I told the supervisor that I was recording the call and it was notice of trespass. I said if she goes past the meter again, I'm filing charges. No meter reader has come past the meter since then.
Almost sounds like she was being made to do something she didn't want to do, so she figured if she screwed it up good enough, she wouldn't have to do it anymore.

This is common in the forests. I see it every time we have some decent wind; widow-makers stuck in the ground.
Sweet gums are a weak wood. The last on the block to lose their leaves and seed pods. The first wet snow can break a few of them. Could go out in the garage and listen to them snap, crackle and pop.
Had a very high widow maker on the tree. Saw a utility crew down at the corner. Made a deal with them. If they'd go and grab that snag I'd leave them some beer. Was gone 30 minutes, came back and both the snag and the beer was gone. That was so tiring that I went in to take a nap! Crossed that off my list. Told the wife I crawled all the way up to cut it out. She told me to never do that again! Crossed that off my list too!

Sweet gums are a weak wood. The last on the block to lose their leaves and seed pods. The first wet snow can break a few of them. Could go out in the garage and listen to them snap, crackle and pop.
Had a very high widow maker on the tree. Saw a utility crew down at the corner. Made a deal with them. If they'd go and grab that snag I'd leave them some beer. Was gone 30 minutes, came back and both the snag and the beer was gone. That was so tiring that I went in to take a nap! Crossed that off my list. Told the wife I crawled all the way up to cut it out. She told me to never do that again! Crossed that off my list too!
Most of my trees are mature conifers, mostly Doug fir. I see huge (20' long, several inches in diameter) limbs break off and embed themselves in the ground. I've had a few close calls, but nothing significant has hit me, my house or my vehicles yet.

The hardwoods I have, mostly maple, alder, etc. - do break/split/fall too. Those are the ones that often cause road blockages/etc.

The adult version of Tom Sawyer painting the fence.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top