JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live out in farm country with no one close by. My wife was visiting her folks and we have no children. I was letting the dogs back in for the night and I decided to move my truck since we were supposed to get another 4-6 inches of snow. As I am getting closer to the road I hear something that sounds like a young girl say "daddy....daddy?" I immediately turned on my flashlight and started running to the end of my drive way where I heard the "voice" come from. The temperature was in the low 20's so any child out in that weather at 10:30-11pm should not be there....as I'm approaching the road I start thinking....what if the "daddy" was scoping out my house or had other ill intent....when I step on to the road my G26 was drawn and flashlight on full beam.....nothing in the road up or down (again farm country once you get out of my yard) and nothing in the fields. This is when I started to get nervous. No foot prints/traffic in the snow...I walked all around where the voice came from looking for anything for 30min.....and nothing.

To this day, I shake it off and say it was prob just a coyote/fox and I misheard......but I know what I heard, I remember the inflection of the first "daddy" to the second "daddy?"

Last Edited:
Re: MasterChief1 - :eek:Goooooosse Buuuuummpss!!!!:eek:

The Japanese have an old belief that the soul of a lost family member will actually stay in their house for 49 days after their death, just to make sure everything's "ok", before heading out to the hereafter.
After my dad died, all us kids decided that it would be easiest for me to move in and look after our mother during the transition (they're all married with kids, houses. I'm single, no kids, rent my abode, etc.).
If you've ever had to move back into your parents house, for whatever reason/duration, you understand there's a bit of an adjustment period at first.
Well, with me and my mom, it was sort of like 2 "type A" personalities suddenly being stuck together and we progressed to the point of barely speaking to each other within a few days.
One night, as I slept, I had a very short dream that was just my father's face, very close to me. He was mad and told me not to argue with my mother.
I woke up with goose bumps. It seemed very "real".
I was the first one to wake up, so I was up and eating breakfast when mom woke up and came into the kitchen.
After a few moments of grumbly silence, I told I had a dream about Dad.
She looked at me, interested and I told her what happened.
Her eyes opened really wide and told me she had just had the same dream!, except he was telling her not to argue with me.
That was 23 years ago and we've gotten along like the best of friends ever since. o_O
Although its been years since I've had one, I believe he's come back to visit me several times, in my dreams, since that incident.

Dean

I live out in farm country with no one close by. My wife was visiting her folks and we have no children. I was letting the dogs back in for the night and I decided to move my truck since we were supposed to get another 4-6 inches of snow. As I am getting closer to the road I hear something that sounds like a young girl say "daddy....daddy?" I immediately turned on my flashlight and started running to the end of my drive way where I heard the "voice" come from. The temperature was in the low 20's so any child out in that weather at 10:30-11pm should not be there....as I'm approaching the road I start thinking....what if the "daddy" was scoping out my house or had other ill intent....when I step on to the road my G26 was drawn and flashlight on full beam.....nothing in the road up or down (again farm country once you get out of my yard) and nothing in the fields. This is when I started to get nervous. No foot prints/traffic in the snow...I walked all around where the voice came from looking for anything for 30min.....and nothing.

To this day, I shake it off and say it was prob just a coyote and I misheard......but I know what I heard, I remember the inflection of the first "daddy" to the second "daddy?"
This reminds me of something my eldest daughter experienced quite shortly after we moved here. My 18 y.o. daughter is not spooked easy at all, but this experience shook her up a bit.
This was during winter with short days so it gets dark pretty early so need to turn lights on late afternoon. We are off grid and our electricity is powered by generator. She went outside to the shed to start the generator and as she entered the building she started hearing very strange sounds moving her way from the south. Now we have a very clear view of the south since it's open clearing that way. She had looked out that way as she left the house and had seen nothing but the newly fallen snow blanketing our property and driveway.
She described the sounds as mechanical, and like it needed to be oiled, whatever it was, and very clear (it was quite audible, not quiet at all). She could hear it rolling through the snow like it was on wheels, but no engine noise. It came close to the shed she was in and stopped.
Needless to say she was afraid to poke her head out of the shed, but carefully peaked outside. Nothing. Nothing was there. No tracks in the snow but her own. She looked 360, walked around the shed, still nothing, no tracks.

She started the generator and went back into the house and promptly asked me if anyone had gone outside after her. Then told me what she experienced after I told her no one had followed.
I have never seen her spooked before, but she was quite shaken by these unexplained sounds she heard.

Mamabear,

Re: Strange sound on your property...Are there any populations of geese near your property?
I ask this because they don't just quack. When I was a kid my dog got his butt kicked by an angry gander while we were out hunting, once.
It did anything but quack.

Dean

My wife and I were in Central Oregon some years back. We were sleeping, had the windows open and we were both awoken by the most gosh-awful animal sound. It echoed through the area, but sounded very close. The best way I could think to describe the sound was a cross between a wild turkey and a cougar 'scream'. We heard it 3-4 times and then it stopped. I never have heard that sound since. I slept with the gun very close that night.

Etrain be all cousin Vinny.... :s0140:

Mamabear,

Re: Strange sound on your property...Are there any populations of geese near your property?
I ask this because they don't just quack. When I was a kid my dog got his butt kicked by an angry gander while we were out hunting, once.
It did anything but quack.

Dean
I asked her if she thought it could have been a bird (I always thought bald eagles sounded like something that needed to be oiled), but she distinctly heard it on the ground. She said it sounded like it was small, mechanical, like the size of a mechanical basketball, rolling through the snow (anyone who lives where it's cold enough to make the snow "squeaky" knows that sound snow makes when something is moving through the snow).
But no tracks anywhere, that's why I asked if she thought it could be a bird of some sort. She doesn't have a clue what she heard, and she has never heard anything like that since. We hear birds all the time, from geese to birds of prey and pheasants and grouse and etc, etc, etc. She says no bird she knows sounds like what she heard.

I stumbled upon this while hiking,right next to Jack Creek near Camp Sherman/ Suttle Lake.
Had a glass jar below it that I assume contained ashes or other mementos,and some empty travel size JD bottles nearby.
It was well hidden in a really nice spot a couple feet from the creek.
I left some change ,which is all I had that I could spare.
RIP, pardner!
20170522_105534.jpg

Ok, now I was actually there when those stories were created. The guy who was writing them was a Redditor and the stories were posted to the /r/nosleep subreddit. For the most part they are made up but still fascinating.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm a sucker for these creepy stories. I found these stair stories a year or so ago and really enjoyed them to the point that I considered whether it may be possible :)

(I learned later that it wasn't)

Well geez Joe, you should ask about my entire childhood if you enjoy creepy stories. Hell, want a free stereo? It only occasionally turns itself on and plays static while unplugged. :rolleyes:

I asked her if she thought it could have been a bird (I always thought bald eagles sounded like something that needed to be oiled), but she distinctly heard it on the ground. She said it sounded like it was small, mechanical, like the size of a mechanical basketball, rolling through the snow (anyone who lives where it's cold enough to make the snow "squeaky" knows that sound snow makes when something is moving through the snow).
But no tracks anywhere, that's why I asked if she thought it could be a bird of some sort. She doesn't have a clue what she heard, and she has never heard anything like that since. We hear birds all the time, from geese to birds of prey and pheasants and grouse and etc, etc, etc. She says no bird she knows sounds like what she heard.
Mamabear,

I was commenting on the gutteral noises you mentioned in an earlier post, not your story about your daughter hearing something mechanical when turning on your generator.
You last mentioned you were riding out on the south end of your property when you heard it again and your neighbor (who doesn't hear well) thought you were hearing his pigs, but he lives to the north and you mentioned the sound was coming from the south.
I want to believe you have Sasquatch near your property, so I'm trying to eliminate as many variables as I can think of.
...so...
Do you have any wild Geese that reside near or on your property?

Dean

Mamabear,

I was commenting on the gutteral noises you mentioned in an earlier post, not your story about your daughter hearing something mechanical when turning on your generator.
You last mentioned you were riding out on the south end of your property when you heard it again and your neighbor (who doesn't hear well) thought you were hearing his pigs, but he lives to the north and you mentioned the sound was coming from the south.
I want to believe you have Sasquatch near your property, so I'm trying to eliminate as many variables as I can think of.
...so...
Do you have any wild Geese that reside near or on your property?

Dean
Nope, no geese out here. We are quite a ways away from any place that has geese. The only time I see geese is when they are flying in formation overhead, heading south or north, depending on the time of year.

I don't think Sasquatch is out here, too much target shooting going on, on a constant basis, for 'squatch to be comfortable in these neck of the woods.

Nope, no geese out here. We are quite a ways away from any place that has geese. The only time I see geese is when they are flying in formation overhead, heading south or north, depending on the time of year.

I don't think Sasquatch is out here, too much target shooting going on, on a constant basis, for 'squatch to be comfortable in these neck of the woods.

Late fall/early winter? I've heard whitetail bucks make some pretty fairly glutteral sounds when in the rut, just a thought.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top