JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When we first moved down here, every one would tell us about the local hot springs, and so we decided to check them out! Now, living in Europe for many years, seeing a bunch of nekid people wouldn't be that shocking, but the nekid people were every where, at the parking lot, all over the many miles of trails around the springs, and even the local stores! Weeks later, I was scouting for elk season and came across a large group of nekid ladies out for a hike! Here I am all by my oneaome and all these nekid ladies:eek: thought I had died and went to heaven! Turns out that there is quite a large group of nudist that live around these parts and it's as common as any thing! So, finding nekid people out in the high country isn't an odd thing out here, but pretty funny when you consider none are armed with any thing but a smile, and this is bear, wolf, and cougar country!!!

Last Edited:
When we first moved down here, every one would tell us about the local hot springs, and so we decided to check them out! Now, living in Europe for many years, seeing a bunch of nekid people wouldn't be that shocking, but the nekid people were every where, at the parking lot, all over the many miles of trails around the springs, and even the local stores! Weeks later, I was scouting for elk season and came across a large group of nekid ladies out for a hike! Here I am all by my oneaome and all these nekid ladies:eek: thought I had died and went to heaven! Turns out that there is quite a large group of nudist that live around these parts and it's as common as any thing! So, finding nekid people out in the high country isn't an odd thing out here, but pretty funny when you consider none are armed with any thing but a smile, and this is bear, wolf, and cougar country!!!

If I were inclined to run around nekid in the woods(I am not)I would at least have gunbelt, holster and revolver or pistol strapped on in bear, wolf, and cougar country.

At least a musical instrument.

4a9a546e7ba47850a6533ef48cee3cd1--pink-panthers-teas.jpg

Ummmm.......I wouldn't mind scouting for elk myself.:rolleyes: Where would, "these parts" be?

Never heard this for myself but after listening to the video I think I now know the origin of some reported 'Bigfoot' screams.

Never heard this for myself but after listening to the video I think I now know the origin of some reported 'Bigfoot' screams.
I have heard foxes almost everywhere I have lived, from rural to suburbs. Funny how many don't recognize the sounds foxes make (probably the reason for the weird song :rolleyes:).

I have heard foxes almost everywhere I have lived, from rural to suburbs. Funny how many don't recognize the sounds foxes make (probably the reason for the weird song :rolleyes:).

I hear coyotes from time to time - they are easy to mistake for a human if they are far off and only make noise intermittently. I have heard weird sounds up here in the mountains, but then I have bad hearing (I wear hearing aids at work) and it would be easy to mistake all different kinds of sounds for something else altogether.

I hear coyotes from time to time - they are easy to mistake for a human if they are far off and only make noise intermittently. I have heard weird sounds up here in the mountains, but then I have bad hearing (I wear hearing aids at work) and it would be easy to mistake all different kinds of sounds for something else altogether.
I got the same problem, and the hearing aids make certain sounds even more weird then they all ready are! About the only two animals I can definitely determine are the Elk, and the Wolves, every thing else gets all mixed up! :eek:

My husband is hard of hearing, but not enough to make him feel like he needs a hearing aid. And I noticed that some sounds that are clear as a bell to me, he will mistake for other sounds or it will sound strange enough that he can't figure it out at all. He's always asking me what sounds are.

Edited to add:
I have heard some very strange sounds here in the hills, for several days me and my daughter would stand listening to something fairly large making some strange sounds every morning out in the forested area to the northwest and southwest of our house. It stopped and haven't heard it since.

Last Edited:
Not exactly "in the woods", but I remember back when the area in central Washington claimed by the towns of George and Quincy had a "Community Hunt" (sound familiar to anyone here? Why don't they do that anymore?!).
So dad and I found some great Pheasant hunting out there and went at least a few times, every year, for about the last 5 years that they did it.
We were up towards Quincy that day, where that huge concrete irrigation ditch runs through all the farms.
Dad decided, after all morning of driving, it was time to stop and have a bite to eat before we got started.
While we're sitting there, down the road, comes one old Guernsey....a skinny one, at that!
So it gets closer, and dad quietly says, "watch this"....
He honks the horn (edit: Dad drove a '74 Chevy 1/2 ton and had the stock horn replaced with a couple of "chrome trumpets" he got out of JC Whitney, which he mounted on the fender well under the hood).
The cow stops and cocks its head.
A minute or so later, dad taps the horn again.
The cow responds, "MOOOOOO!!!!!".
Dad taps the horn again.
"MMMOOOOOOOO!!!"
...silence...
Cow starts waking again...
Dad taps the horn
"MMOOOO!!"
...this goes on a few more times.
Meanwhile, I'm crackin' up on the passenger side.
Everytime dad taps the horn, the cow answers.
Everything was fine until the cow started to make her way towards the truck.
Dad's like "uh oh", and winds up the window real quick.
Upon seein this, the cow turns slightly and walks past the truck, all the while giving us a dirty look.
I guess even cows get stood up sometimes.

....good times. =)

Dean

My husband is hard of hearing, but not enough to make him feel like he needs a hearing aid. And I noticed that some sounds that are clear as a bell to me, he will mistake for other sounds or it will sound strange enough that he can't figure it out at all. He's always asking me what sounds are.

Edited to add:
I have heard some very strange sounds here in the hills, for several days me and my daughter would stand listening to something fairly large making some strange sounds every morning out in the forested area to the northwest and southwest of our house. It stopped and haven't heard it since.
How would you describe the sound?
Like a "creature" or something, maybe, mechanical?

Dean

Last Edited:
How would you describe the sound?
Like a "creature" or something, maybe, mechanical?

Dean
It's an animal, sounds very "guteral." Sounds big too.

Funny, I posted this yesterday and this morning I was was riding my horse far south of our property and heard the same strange sounds again.

Our neighbor to the north of us has pigs and he keeps saying that must be what I have been hearing (he's hard of hearing and can't hear what me and my daughters are hearing), but there were times I'd stand with my back to his property and hear it from the woods I was facing.
... and I know he's not missing any pigs, lol.

Coyotes can be creepy. We get them near us pretty regularly. Every so often in the dark of night it sounds like a child screaming or crying. It definitely makes me sit up and take notice. So I'll listen carefully then I start to hear them answering back to each other, mixed in with some howling barks. First time I ever heard it many years ago, I thought for sure a kid was in trouble.

It's an animal, sounds very "guteral." Sounds big too.

Funny, I posted this yesterday and this morning I was was riding my horse far south of our property and heard the same strange sounds again.

Our neighbor to the north of us has pigs and he keeps saying that must be what I have been hearing (he's hard of hearing and can't hear what me and my daughters are hearing), but there were times I'd stand with my back to his property and hear it from the woods I was facing.
... and I know he's not missing any pigs, lol.

My wife and I were in Central Oregon some years back. We were sleeping, had the windows open and we were both awoken by the most gosh-awful animal sound. It echoed through the area, but sounded very close. The best way I could think to describe the sound was a cross between a wild turkey and a cougar 'scream'. We heard it 3-4 times and then it stopped. I never have heard that sound since. I slept with the gun very close that night.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top