JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I`ve been having trouble with trespassers the past couple months and while out mapping their routes I came across this L-shaped hole. The photos are about a month old and it`s still there, but now there`s a coyote turd in it as well. I added the AK mag and zippo for scale and the crappy paracord bracelet for the compass.

View attachment 316640
View attachment 316641
View attachment 316642

Treasure hunters? Set up trail cams. Maybe you'll see them toting a metal detector

Years ago, my boyfriend and I found a lovely trail somewhere near Mukilteo that wandered down a steep ravine and finally led down to the beach. We spent several hours on the beach and stayed longer than anticipated, so when we started back up the trail, it was dark. Really dark. No moon, overhanging trees in the ravine blocking any star light, and of course, no flashlight. We were shuffling up the trail trying not to tumble down into the ravine when we noticed two glowing green eyes ahead of us up the trail. We started talking louder, but the eyes didn't even blink. They just kept staring at us. My brave boyfriend felt around for a rock and tossed it up the trail at the eyes. The glowing green eyes just kept staring at us, obviously with evil intent. We started feeling rather uneasy, so my boyfriend got out his Swiss Army knife to protect me from this angry, staring critter who was not about to move off of the trail to let us go by, even as we shuffled closer and closer to it. So we stopped, hunkered down on a steep part of the trail, staring up through the pitch darkness at those two glowing green eyes just daring us to come closer.

We were in a quandary. We couldn't see anything but these glowing eyes, but the trail was steep and skinny and leaving the trail to try to get around this critter would be dangerous because we were in a steep sided ravine. We weren't familiar with the area, so didn't know if there might be another trail we could find if we backtracked back to the beach. The beach had been deserted by the time we left, so we didn't figure we'd run into anyone who could help us. It was looking like we'd just have to hunker down on the trail and wait for the critter to get bored and wander off to harass someone else. After a while of shivering in the dark, I asked my boyfriend if he had seen the critter blink, because I hadn't. Nope, it was just unblinking, staring at us with those glowing green eyes. Now, I was a biology major, so I started to try to figure out what sort of a critter would (a) have eyes that would glow without a light source to make them reflect, and (b) what animal could stare without blinking for such a ridiculously long time. Nothing came to mind... except for aliens... which I felt was unlikely. So, being cold and tired of hanging out on this steep bit of trail, we took our lives into our hands and literally crawled up the trail on our hands and knees toward the eyes, Swiss Army knife at the ready. Closer. Closer. No movement. No blinking. Being either ridiculously foolish or brave, I took the lead and crawled right up to those eyes until I could reach out and actually touch them. The eyes were ON the trail. PART OF THE TRAIL. What the heck?? I felt around by Braille, and finally deduced that the eyes were actually two perfectly round eye-shaped patches of bioluminescent fungi that happened to have been uncovered in this perfect spot on a steep part of the trail. During the daylight, or if there was a flashlight, you'd never even know they were there. It was only because we were stupid enough to hike up this trail without a light source in the pitch darkness that we even saw them at all. And because that part of the trail was steep, it looked like they were staring out of a face, not just part of the ground.

Needless to say, once we figured out what was glowing, we felt stupid at being so worried... okay, scared, of a harmless fungus! We eventually bid our new fungus-eye friend goodbye and continued shuffling up the trail until we finally made it out of the ravine and back to our car. Whew. We barely survived an encounter with a pseudo-alien life form!

Naturally, I had to marry the guy after he had so bravely defended my life and honor with only his Swiss Army knife against an entire battalion of... bioluminescent fungus! Thirty-five years later, we're still ready to battle aliens, except now we do it during the daylight, in the middle school, and we call it teaching, and we leave the Swiss Army knife at home.

Found this at the end of an old loggong road. Didn't open it, maybe I should have.

20161009_121319.jpg

I'm in Farmville Ohio visiting my wife's family this week and have spent a good part of it pouring over threads like this on 5-6 different sites. I re-read this whole thread.

I am still extremely amazed and dumbfounded by the amount of stories I've read (probably 1000) where people had CREEPY stories and no weapon, sometimes no flashlight and out at night.

I NEVER go in the woods without at least one gun and a knife, even for a day hike I usually have a flashlight.

Heck after reading some of these stories I might start carrying my AR15 pistol too!

I'll try to find a couple of the good ones and post them here

Found this on a survivalist forum.

FREAKED ME OUT.

This may be very disturbing to some of you. I could never tell this story in person, but it's easier to type it for some reason.

When I and my wife were quite a bit younger, we decided that we would spend the bicentennial outdoors. Yes, July of '76......we're old. We lived in Pueblo at the time, and decided to go hiking, fishing and camp along Lime Creek between Durango and Silverton. There wasn't anything other than brookies in the creek, but they were plentiful and fun to catch.

We left our car by the side of the road along Old Lime Creek Road about 5 miles in from the highway and packed in upstream along the creek with our shepherd, Rebel. It only took us about an hour to get to where we wanted to camp, a nice meadow beside the creek just before a slot canyon that required you to swim to get any further upstream. Either that or take a several mile detour.

We camped uneventfully that night, the third of July, enjoying the sounds of the rippling creek and nature all around us. It was such a nice night that we just slept out under the stars, didn't bother to pitch our little backpacking tent. A little cool, but we had the fire going and our lightweight 30 degree bags, so we were very comfortable.

The next day we had breakfast, packed up and we all swam our way up the creek to the next wide spot with a bit of bank in the canyon, only about 150 yards or so. Now Rebel was never one to turn down a chance to get wet, but we had to do quite a bit of coaxing to get him to follow us up the creek. We fished and splashed upstream a bit, and before we knew it it was lunchtime. We thought we'd fry up some of those brookies but we were in this slot canyon that terminated in a fairly deep pool with about a ten foot rocky waterfall at the end of it.

We decided that I would scale the waterfall and pull the dog and the packs up and then I'd help Maggie get up. It was fairly difficult, even with the help of an old cable left over from a mining operation that was hanging down the side wall of the canyon. It took a LOT of effort and though we finally made it, we looked back down that waterfall and wondered what the heck we were thinking. Rebel was none too happy about it either, and seemed to get more irritable by the minute. We found enough driftwood at the rocky top of the falls to get a fire started and get the fish fried up, but that was about it.

You know the uneasy feeling that several others have mentioned? It was like a switch turned on and we all of a sudden became aware of our surroundings. It grew like a cancer and I actually watched the hair on the back of Rebel's neck stand up. Maggie felt it too and we both noticed that it was getting dark FAST down in this canyon. First thought in my head was a cat, and I actually felt a bit better about that because I figured the cat would leave us be, between the fire and the dog. I told Maggie what I thought and she seemed to feel a bit better, too.

I did not want to get caught in the dark in the canyon, for a bunch of reasons, flash floods etc. I spied what looked like a mine shaft about 2 hundred feet above us, a heck of a steep climb, but it looked like our best bet. We pulled out our flashlights and by the time we reached it it was PITCH black. The dog was a mess by this point, whipping around in circles, whining, yelping and generally being a real pain in the bubblegum. Maggie and I were drenched with sweat and immediately began to freeze. July in the mountains is a weird thing, I have seen blizzard conditions before, but this was like someone turned on the deep freeze.

We were at what looked like the start of a mine, it only went back about ten feet, but there was evidence of fires at the mouth, and they curiously looked fresh. I was too tired to think more about it, I knew we had to get out of our wet clothes, pitch the tent, and climb in our bags before we got serious hypothermia. That was NO fun, let me tell you, having to do all of that by the light of our rapidly dying flashlight. And there was NO firewood anywhere close.

I cursed myself several times for letting things get this far out of control. We finally got the tent pitched right there in the back of this little cave , buck naked as we had no dry clothes left. The sleeping bagswere slightly damp too, even though we had stuffed them in plastic garbage bags before our swimming expedition up the canyon. WE FROZE!! It was miserable.

About 1 in the morning I called Rebel into the tent for a little heat. The dog seemed to have calmed down greatly, and with the added heat we drifted off. Sometime during the night I heard something that just about woke me, I was still in a haze, so I fell asleep again immediately. I woke up one other time, because I thought I heard Rebel yip a little bit, but again I was in and out. I put my hand out to pet his head and he licked my hand. I fell asleep again. Maggie later said she fell asleep the same time as I did but never woke up at all during the night.

I woke to the most horrible noise I have ever heard come out of a hundred pound woman. Just the most God-awful shrieks that I have ever heard. I never want to hear that again.

I opened my eyes just in time to see a man at the mouth of the shaft, silhouetted against the morning daylight, looking back at us with the most twisted evil grin I have ever seen on the face of another human. I scrambled to get free of my tightly zipped bag and the little tent while he just crouched there and grinned. When I was just about free, he disappeared. Now, we were granola crunchin' tree huggin' anti-gun nature freaks at the time, so the only thing I had of any consequence as a weapon was my camp knife. I found it after what seemed like hours of searching, but really was probably under a minute. I very cautiously made my way to the entrance, millimeters at a time. The guy was gone.

About that time Maggie started screaming and whimpering again so I rushed back to the back of the shaft. She had struggled out of the tent and was pointing at what used to be Rebel. His head was nearly severed, and the tent and the bags were ruined with the blood all over everything. She had blood all over her, so the first thing I did was make sure she was not injured. Then I checked myself. We were ok,it was all Rebel's blood.

We put on our still damp cold clothes from the night before and then we noticed that our boots were gone. We were in trouble. I had some paracord, so we tied some shirts and towels around our feet and climbed back down towards the creek. We left everything in the mine, except for the knife and some stuff that we shoved in our pockets. It took us 8 hours to get back down to the car, and we were like hamburger. Hands, feet, arms and legs scraped raw, bruised and bleeding. We jumped in, the car started right up thankfully and we left a dust cloud that blanketed the valley as we sped down the rough trail toward Durango.

We limped into the Sheriff's office and we looked like hell. We got our story out, my wife through tears and me talking waaay too fast. but finally got it all out. The deputy said that they would go out first thing in the morning and asked us to stay in town. We had no money for a hotel, so he let us stay in a cell after we showered and changed into prison jumpsuits.

We were there at the jail waiting when the "expedition" returned with the convoy of three trucks. I noticed that all the officers, who were quite wet and filthy, gave us dirty looks as they passed us, and the Deputy that we had talked to the day before herded us back to his office. Then came the interrogation. Turns out that some animal had spread the dog's remains all down the slide to the creek, and he said that there was nothing else there. No tent, no backpacks, nothing. He asked us if we had any drugs. I did not want to admit to him that we had some herb, so I denied it.

It was clear that we were fighting a losing battle. They had come to the conclusion that we were wandering out in the woods high on LSD while a mountain lion had gotten our dog. The bastard even made us change back into our filthy clothes and give back the jumpsuits right then. He told us that he had better never see us again. We left. Maggie was sobbing. I never have been back to Durango.

The thing that I still have nightmares about years later, and I have never mentioned this to Maggie, is....... the second time I woke up when I heard Rebel yelp, was that when his throat was cut?.......and if it was, was it the dog who licked my hand before I fell back asleep?

I still go out in the wilderness, never overnight, out well before dark, only with other people, and always with a big gun. I respect animals, but I fear people.

Where I live we have Chantrelle mushrooms and my good friend and I used to go into the woods and pick them with our Dads when we were young. So when I got back from the Air Force in 1992, my good buddy and I thought we'd head out to the woods and grab some.

We headed to our normal spot and saw that they had already been harvested so we headed a bit deeper anticipating a bounty. After about 45 minutes of looking we'd found that someone else beat us to the punch. As we we're about to leave we saw another person walking our way, he looked liked he hadn't shaved or bathed in weeks. We looked at each other and kept walking towards my truck. Within 10 minutes we heard his footsteps getting a lot closer and turned towards him. Before we could get a word out he asked "What are you guys doing back here?" My friend and I looked at each other and I said "We came to look for Chantrelle mushrooms, didn't find any and we're leaving." (Now at this time I hadn't had my CPL, nor did I feel it necessary to pack a knife bigger than the one I was using to harvest mushrooms.) The next question out of the bearded woodsman was "Did you guys stop looking for mushrooms when you first saw me?" I replied "Yes". Now my creep factor started to go up even worse.

Then the bearded fella asked "So you guys didn't go further back?" Again I stated "No". He then looked at both my friend and I for what seemed like minutes...in reality it was probably 30 seconds. I then said "Well, we've got to go, we are meeting more friends at my truck in about 20 minutes." I then turned, my buddy followed and we started walking back the direction of my truck. Every 10-15 seconds I turned to make sure that is where this episode ended...Thankfully we made it back to my truck...never to see the bearded one again.

Looking back the only thing we could figure is that this guy had an illegal grow going and I suspect that's what it was because in 1995, 3 years after our run in I heard the Pierce County Sheriff did a sting up there.

Needless to say, I don't go in the woods w/o a pistol anymore.

This was the other one that got me.

My friends and I found a 22 year old girl, face down in the mud, both legs broken with compound fractures. she had no cell phone, no water, no food, and nothing to keep her warm. her friend was dead.

a little backstory - my 2 friends and I were hiking in a pretty popular spot in our area. it's a 150-ft waterfall that takes about 45 mins of uphill hiking to get to.

we decided to go bouldering around the bottom of the waterfall, there are various little pools and boulders where the water runs off from the waterfall. this bouldering trail is not on the main trail, and not many hikers ever veer off of the main trail.

when we found her, obviously we called 911 and gave her any supplies we had. eventually a helicopter showed up and they flew her to the nearest hospital.

turns out she was hiking with her friend the NIGHT BEFORE when they both fell off of the waterfall. her friend must have gone to get help, but unfortunately died less than 100 yds from where we found the girl. so no one knew she was hurt or that she was even there.

it's a miracle she was still alive and mind blowing to think what she had gone through when we found her 20 hours later.

here's the article:<broken link removed>

here's a few images from the rescue

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Hiker Rescue.

before we found the hiker, we were climbing rocks in the area and taking pictures. we didnt even know the poor girl was in the background of these photos!! look towards to right side of the frame in the background.

Enhance this photo. [Explanation in comments]

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

if you can't see the photos, user <broken link removed> did a nice job of adding in highly visible circles so you can fnid the girl

http://i.imgur.com/P16GDBw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6cOMxfH.jpg

edit: for those having trouble seeing head/body placement

http://i.imgur.com/hkYZlAY.png

IMPORTANT EDIT : i didn't realize that the family of the girl had a fundraiser to help defray the cost of her recovery. THank you to the other redditors who pointed this out to me. the link is below.

<broken link removed>

EDIT: thanks to the kind stranger for Reddit Gold! If anything can be learned from the experience it's that anything can happen -Freak accidents like this are a REAL thing. Always be prepared for the conditions of your hike, and communicate your whereabouts to someone else.

as soon as we found her, we tried to assess the situation. i got as much information as I possibly could. I was incredulous at the situation. she told us her name, her story, she said she had two broken ankles. we visually inspected the injuries to see if we had to stop any bleeding. we confirmed - two Joe-theismann style leg breaks. we gave her water immediately, she said she finished her food & water the night before. i asked how many in your party? when did this happen? does anything hurt? are you bleeding? and whatever else boy-scout questions i could think of.

between the three healthy hikers, only one of us had a phone. that was the guy taking pics. We Called 911 immediately. with the 911 operator we stressed that there were SERIOUS injuries that needed helicopter. There's alot of sprained ankles and such on these hikes, but nothing quite like what we saw

we had Montecito fire dept on the phone. They knew the trail, but they didn't know where we were on the trail. They asked for someone to meet them at the trailhead just in case the chopper couldnt see the injured girl from the sky. they launched a chopper from dispatch. my buddy and his gf stayed on the phone and stayed with the injured girl. I went down to the trailhead and met them at the bottom of cold springs trail. (it's about 45 mins up so its about 30 mins down). knowing that a girl's life was in danger i ran like a bat out of hell.... think "last of the mohicans" type bubblegum.

i met the fire dept at the bottom. there were 6 guys. We were bringing a stretcher and medical supplies, weighed over 100 lbs. this was going to take at least an hour to get back up to the injured girl.

my buddy and his gf stayed with the girl and gave her water. I was with the fire dept and we were hiking up about Halfway when the chopper confirmed visual on the victim and confirmed that they would be able to do a lift-out. So we dropped the stretcher, but continued with supplies and hiked back up to the girl with just the medical supplies.

the chopper made visual contact with the crew- they spotted my buddy's GF's bright pink running shoes before they spottedd anything else. the chopper hovered about 100-200 ft above the injured girl and 2 medical ppl rapelled down from the chopper. 6 firefighters came up with me and several more from forest service came down the topside of the mountain.

They used scissors to carefully cut her clothing off to inspect for other broken bones... They packed her up on a stretcher and winched her out onto the chopper. All said and done, we hiked back down with the fire dept and we gave our testimony to the police. They said the girl would have died had we not found her. They said a previous hiker had found the dead body at about 10am but they didn't find any other injured hikers in their search so they assumed he hiked alone.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top