JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know we've all encountered the strange/flakey/scamming customers/deals, but I have a strange one I can't figure out the angle on. Customer purchased a gun with PayPal friends/family, inc shipping to New Mexico. he hasn't returned any texts/calls/emails until now with shipping info(the FFL he wants it transferred to). Now he says his FFL hasn't received my money so they won't give me a copy of their FFL, and he won't tell me who his FFL is. I'm about to just give him a refund and tell him to go away, but I can't figure out what his game is and want to make sure I'm not going to get scammed on PayPal. Anyone encounter anything like this?

They'll process them, but it gets ugly if there are any disputes. I'd be very wary of returning money via a different route, as they might then claim a dispute on paypal, and also manage a refund there. ( just thinking worst case/weird scenarios here)

You may want to rethink refunding. F/F is a gift, so why would you refund, unless listing it as "repayment of loan" or something like that?
Might consider using some other traceable form.
Well I have the gun and his money, and I have to be able to sleep at night.

That's a weird one!

Sure he isn't just a moron?

Because as of rite now, you have his money which he gifted to you.

Try again, have him find another FFL. If you can verify it, then send the firearm.

Suppose it could be some type of "refund" scam. No idea or how. Doesn't matter tho, as I wouldn't refund in this particular case. Too odd.

If he bought a gun from you, it almost sounds like he is hoping you will just send him the gun so he doesn't have to go through a legitimate FFL. Maybe he wouldn't pass and he is looking for someone to sell him a gun that won't look too deep into what he is trying to do.

Did you do a google search on his address and a reverse look up on the telephone number?

Mike

I thought PayPal was one of the services that won't process firearms transactions...

They are. Plenty of tales around of locking accounts and such.

Have used PP a bunch tho. For purchasing parts, accessories & 1 firearm (shipped to my FFL-as in the OP example). Do so solely based on reputation, as I realize I would have had zero PP support.

Currently have a complete upper inbound & accessories from several members, paid via PP.

Nothing illegal whatsoever about doing so, provided a firearm goes thru FFL on buyers side.

Nothing illegal about paying for a gun on paypal. Its just against their rules and they can boot you if they find out. In any case F&F is for money transfers that arent merchandise or service related. There is no refund mechanism inside paypal. You could refuse shipment and he'd be screwed. He either needs to get his FFL to stop being a douche or he needs to get a different FFL.

Why would his FFL receive YOUR money? That part doesnt make sense.

If he bought a gun from you, it almost sounds like he is hoping you will just send him the gun so he doesn't have to go through a legitimate FFL. Maybe he wouldn't pass and he is looking for someone to sell him a gun that won't look too deep into what he is trying to do...

Aha! More likely scenario.

OP, mayhaps locate another FFL in the same area as the one the buyer suggested. Send it there. Then it is completely the buyers problem. If he can't pass, doesn't want to or anything else, then it's on that FFLs bound book.

No longer your problem, and you have fulfilled your role in the sale of said firearm.

Nothing illegal about paying for a gun on paypal. Its just against their rules and they can boot you if they find out. In any case F&F is for money transfers that arent merchandise or service related. There is no refund mechanism inside paypal. You could refuse shipment and he'd be screwed. He either needs to get his FFL to stop being a douche or he needs to get a different FFL.

Why would his FFL receive YOUR money? That part doesnt make sense.
I don't think it's FFL at all. I don't think he even contacted one. He's either a criminal, or has buyers remorse. My .02. I have no problem refunding him, but this stinks of some kind of scam.

His last message about looking hard enough strikes me as odd. His PayPal account has no address, just a name.

C47CF671-0CDB-43ED-8A5E-22CE71F54F82.jpeg D8985188-32CF-4D2A-A137-47E661CDA1C8.jpeg

Given the seemingly vast amount of negative this, that and the other why pay for anything via PP?

Oh, the seller insists the buyer 'must' use PP?

No problem, insister just lost a sale, buyer can find what he wants elsewhere...or not, but he can't be forced to use PP...ever.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top