JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Quick note: Anything with a -135 designator is a whole different design, Model 717 (not to be confused with the DC-9 that that festering pustule of jacka--sery Harry Stonecipher, may he burn in Hell, rebranded as "717"), the C/VC-137, E-3, E-6 and E-8 are all true 707s.

The 717 has a narrower body and a visibly different trailing-edge wing-root--717 curves, while the 707 inboard section is a straight line. Why the difference? The KC-135 keeps the original cross section of the 367-80 prototype, while the airlines wanted wider cabins and more capacity for their birds.

Last Edited:
I've also spotted a P-3 Orion, not sure which P-3 but it was definitely an Orion airframe, straight wings, turboprops, MAD boom, no windows....dull grey paint job...it was orbiting around Eugene Airport a few months ago. Wasn't sure if it was being ferried to a Cali navy base, or some such... It was odd seeing it rather low and orbiting, but this was while I was driving northbound on 99. Oddest thing was that I could not see any US Navy markings on it. Not even an US star roundel on the wings. Just an airframe number on the fin.

Might have been a Customs EP-3 "midsize AWACS".
no radar thing on the back, and no diagonal stripe.

P-3_AEW_US_Customs_and_Border_Protection_in_flight_2009.jpg

Other Customs/Border Protection P-3 have blue diagonal stripe

04252012_3_p3.jpg

It is possible I saw a surplus airframe being disposed of; or an USN bird with faded low visibility markings.
Orion.usnavy.750pix.jpg

Sorry guys, KC-135 aka.720/707 and the C-141 were totally different airframes.
I realize that, but we don't know how knowledgeable the OP is with aircraft.
I once met a guy who saw a Cessna fly over and made the assumption it was a Stearman.
...wanna talk about two completely different airframes?!
I'm just saying that a casual sighting might make ALL 4 engine passenger/cargo jet aircraft seem like the same basic layout and someone may try to make the comparative to a completely different airframe because to them, its all the same thing (or at least, basically the same thing).

Dean

I realize that, but we don't know how knowledgeable the OP is with aircraft.
I once met a guy who saw a Cessna fly over and made the assumption it was a Stearman.
...wanna talk about two completely different airframes?!
I'm just saying that a casual sighting might make ALL 4 engine passenger/cargo jet aircraft seem like the same basic layout and someone may try to make the comparative to a completely different airframe because to them, its all the same thing (or at least, basically the same thing).

Dean

He seems to have known the difference between straight jets and turbofans.

Last Edited:
A little bit of trivia: The P-3 Orion airframe was originally the Lockheed Electra. The reason for the short wings is, after loosing a few of them, they found the wing tips were fluttering causing the wings to break up. Shortening the wings aprox. 4 feet eliminated the problem.
* Correct to the best of my aging memory*:rolleyes::(

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class