JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, I need a little advice. I bought a used shotgun barrel for my SKB 3-4 years ago and never got around to putting it on. It's an upgrade from the existing barrel as is a 28" barrel with a 3" chamber, vent rib, and threaded for chokes. The original is 2 3/4" vent rib and fixed full choke. The fore end of the shotgun needs a little wood removed to clear the gas switch on the new barrel. I just had not gotten around to it yet, but planned on starting tonight. I put the barrel in the action and was test fitting the fore end and noticed the barrel dipped slightly at the end. It's not much but noticeable looking down it. I am pissed at myslef for not looking it over better when it arrived. I put the barrel against the door of my safe (best known flat I have that big) and there is about a 3/8" gap in the middle of the barrel. The vent rib is on the outside of the bend. I will get some pics up tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has ever straightened a barrel before. It's a shotgun so I'm not expecting great accuracy at distance but it would be nice to be able to see the front bead.

Trap shooters like to bend barrels to shoot high.
I've heard of shotgun smiths whacking a barrel against a bag of lead shot and others use presses.
The vent rib will make it more challenging to straighten.
If this SKB an O/U, I don't think (straightening) that would be a very good DIY project.

I'd ask at the local trap club and see who they use for this type of work and then send it out if the cost was reasonable.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the helpful input.

It's the correct barrel for the receiver. This particular model barrel was for a higher end model with the threaded chokes and magnum shells. The receiver was the same for both.

Trap shooters like to bend barrels to shoot high.
I've heard of shotgun smiths whacking a barrel against a bag of lead shot and others use presses.
The vent rib will make it more challenging to straighten.
If this SKB an O/U, I don't think (straightening) that would be a very good DIY project.

I'd ask at the local trap club and see who they use for this type of work and then send it out if the cost was reasonable.

It's a gas semi. I've read a few threads on it varying from lead bags, tires, sand, presses, etc. just curious if anyone has tried this.
@IronMonster - any ideas/suggestions on this?

I used to run low voltage wire.

When one of the 3-6' bits bent we would put the drill on high in one hand, use the other for the but end and run it back and forth over a knee. That would get it perfectly straight again.

But those were flexible and I don't see how that would help with your situation other then to illustrate that, for me at least, straightening a shotgun barrel sounds very daunting.

I believe most shotgun barrel makers or experienced smiths use a press and adjust them visually by looking through it.
For sure, an accrued talent albeit not rocket science.

None the less, if the barrel is junk, and you can scam the press mechanics plus a little help from a buddy and maybe a six pack, you got nothing to lose.
Could be a fun project with bragging rights if successful.
Definitely remove the rib first. Bore holes through wood and slice in half to make saddles curved to fit the barrel at each spot will ward against flats.
1g.jpg 1f.jpg

Why remove the rib? Just asking as I don't know. Everything I've read about that complicates the process 10 fold.

Why remove the rib? Just asking as I don't know. Everything I've read about that complicates the process 10 fold.
I am far from an expert on the subject but enjoy mechanical's and tinkering.
With that said, in my opine is there is not a lot of strength or substance in the rib, I would suspect the force it would take to bend the barrel will squish it.
However if your reads profess another way, It might be worth entertaining.

I agree with you on the rib. It's not there for support AFAIK. it's just that most of what I've read about taking the rib off is tedious and even if done right, ends in a barrel that needs to be reblued.

Honestly if it was mine I would mount it and see how it shoots before doing anything...

Badabingo.. it might already be "straight", giggity.

That's in the works but getting out likely won't be for a couple weeks. Just trying to prepare a bit in advance. Here is a pic of the barrel and slight bow up against a 12" speed square and a 7/8" dowel.

C2249994-FC4C-40FE-AACB-35445E169221.jpeg 35583288-16FA-4505-9A02-4564597809DC.jpeg

That's in the works but getting out likely won't be for a couple weeks. Just trying to prepare a bit in advance. Here is a pic of the barrel and slight bow up against a 12" speed square and a 7/8" dowel.

View attachment 428847 View attachment 428848
Is that just the tube itself or with it mounted/affixed to the action?. not that it would necessarily matter.. you should just shoot/prove it unless it appears to be dangerous to do so..

That's just the barrel out of the action. The barrel will go into the action but I haven't shaved any wood off the inside of the fore grip yet to fully assemble. That reminds me, I need to get some sand paper.

Wow.. I've never tried this before, but I have worked metal more than once. I am just spit balling here, so I may be completely wrong....

I think you are going to want to apply pressure evenly across the entire bowed area of the barrel, otherwise you may end up with a zig zag barre at the pressure points.. The other thing is that the metal will want to spring back a bit, so you will have to bend it further than a straight line to get it to come back to straight. If it were me, I would make up a jig for the barrel to rest in, supported at the points where it touches your straight edge, and the SLOWLY apply pressure using a bridging block of wood on the opposite side and a hydraulic jack. I have a press in my shop that would probably do the trick, maybe you do too? In any event the care and patience to set up the jig along with a bridging block of wood on the opposite side is going to be critical to success I think.
Again, just spit balling and my opinion...worth less than you just paid for it:cool:

The problem I see is going to be the vent rib.
That's a stiffener and it won't like being shoved around.
And that's why I wouldn't Kitchen Table this.
I'd send it out to a known, good shotgun smith....the one the trapshooters use.
They would know.

Maybe try...
-Insert an 8 foot wood dowel or pipe (.72" dia.?) into the barrel.
-Place ends of the dowel each on a sturdy chair to suspend.
-Bend (flex) the dowel against the curve of the bent barrel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top