JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Getting crosshairs level can be a real b!tch. Here is something I do when I don't have any special tools or any of that crap. You'll need:

1: Hi-vis string (yarn, fly line, even para cord)

2: A cannon ball sinker (1 or 2 oz works great)

3: Something to hang your string from

4: Something to rest your rifle on (sandbag, backpack, gun vise, whatever)

Tie one end of the string to your sinker. Then tie the other end to something tall enough to let it hang freely. Let it settle. Due to gravity, it should hang perfectly vertical unless the wind is blowing real hard. Back up as far as you can, while still being able to see the string. Remove your bolt and rest the rifle. Find the sinker in your bore. Your eye will want to naturally center a round object like a cannon ball sinker in the bore. While keeping the sinker in the bore, tilt the rifle until the center of the crosshairs is on the string. Turn the scope until the vertical stadia lines up with the string. Tighten the screws on your scope rings. Now your crosshairs are straight in relation to the bore.

Great advice.
The method above will find absolute level even without any fancy levels.
From experience, don't try this if there is even the slightest breeze.
Variation, when you have tools available:
  1. If you're using front/rear separately mounted rings and the rings aren't properly aligned with each other, you're wasting your time.
  2. Easiest if you use a gun vise. Also best if you have an excellent level. I use a Wixey absolute digital angle meter.
  3. Make sure barrel and action are level, front-back & side to side. In a good vise, that's not hard.
  4. For string, I find the fluorescent pink stuff at Harbor Freight works great. I use a plumb bob as a weight.
  5. I hang the string from a 8' ladder in the driveway.
  6. I check the ballistics on my round, find its zero crossing (typically 20-25 yards, depending on round).
  7. Have a moveable marker on my line, sight the marker down my barrel. A split shot weight works well also.
  8. Align vertical cross hair with the line, horizontal crosshair with the marker.
  9. Alternate the tightening on your scope rings like tightening the bolts on an engine head. Torque a little, move, torque, move, etc. If you don't distribute the tightening, your vertical will rotate a miniscule amount, enough to make a big difference at distances.

My method for all AR type flat-top installs. Some bolt-actions as well.
For most situations (if applicable) I mount the rings/base, then set the scope into said. Tighten per instructions, but keep the scope on the loose side so it will rotate. Then I stack playing cards between the receiver and the flat base of the scope. Keep adding cards (in between the stack) until no more cards can be added without force. At that point (if the scope is a quality brand) the cross-hairs "should be" damn near as perfect as can be.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top