JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last night I in doing some training with my pump shotgun, I discovered that you can +1 capacity of a pump shotgun by storing it action open, with a shell on the elevator. Basically, you 1/2 pump it to open it, and top off the magazine with another shell. Or you can manually prevent a shell from loading, and just drop a shell in thru the breach/opening.

This basically adds one to capacity, while being a drop safety measure. The gun is ready to go, just push the forearm forward and it's ready to fire.

Looking around the web, I've not seen this discussed anywhere else. But some people keep the action open to allow better air circulation in humid climates, to deter rust, and/or for added safety as I've discussed.

Does anyone else do this, heard of this, or read of this?

Last night I in doing some training with my pump shotgun, I discovered that you can +1 capacity of a pump shotgun by storing it action open, with a shell on the elevator. Basically, you 1/2 pump it to open it, and top off the magazine with another shell. Or you can manually prevent a shell from loading, and just drop a shell in thru the breach/opening.

This basically adds one to capacity, while being a drop safety measure. The gun is ready to go, just push the forearm forward and it's ready to fire.

Looking around the web, I've not seen this discussed anywhere else. But some people keep the action open to allow better air circulation in humid climates, to deter rust, and/or for added safety as I've discussed.

Haven't heard of it with a pump gun, but I do something similar with my Benelli M4 called carrier or ghost loading.

You'll see gun for sale that say capacity is "6+1+1" or something like that and that's what they are talking about.

I keep mine in the safe with the pump forward and no shell in the chamber.

I keep my Mossy with one in the pipe, ready to go, just like all my other firearms for self-defense. * And since I'm a firm believer in NOT racking the slide to give the intruder a warning, and enable them to know where I am and that I am awake, this won't work for me. But I do think mechanically I could if I wanted to.

* An intruder that comes in the house while we are at home, likely is willing to do harm. So many criminals today think nothing of offing people as a byproduct of their crazy search for drugs. I especially believe that is true of home invasions, typically carried out by more than 2 invaders. Those types are used to gunfire and likely will not be scared off by the racking sound. They're not getting a warning! Come in to where we are hiding/sheltering and they get lit up.

I keep my Mossy with one in the pipe, ready to go, just like all my other firearms for self-defense. * And since I'm a firm believer in NOT racking the slide to give the intruder a warning, and enable them to know where I am and that I am awake, this won't work for me. But I do think mechanically I could if I wanted to.

* An intruder that comes in the house while we are at home, likely is willing to do harm. So many criminals today think nothing of offing people as a byproduct of their crazy search for drugs. I especially believe that is true of home invasions, typically carried out by more than 2 invaders. Those types are used to gunfire and likely will not be scared off by the racking sound. They're not getting a warning! Come in to where we are hiding/sheltering and they get lit up.

Good point. My shotgun is a backup for the wife in the bedroom.

I know peoples opinion differs but I'm a clear the house guy when something bumps out of the ordinary.

I figure I have the home (lol) advantage and I prefer to try and stop a threat before it gets to my ladies.

Posting up is a smarter plan for most though I think.

Nothing I've said suggests I'm attempting to use the "racking sound" to intimidate. It's well known that shotguns are not drop safe, so it's a good consideration to leave the chamber empty. This method in the OP is intended to both leave chamber empty and maximize capacity while also being literally swift to get into action. A forward rack as you pick up the gun and you're in business. (It also eliminates the concern or risk of "short stroking" the first shot.) Forward rack and fire. Bang.

Good point. My shotgun is a backup for the wife in the bedroom.

I know peoples opinion differs but I'm a clear the house guy when something bumps out of the ordinary.

I figure I have the home (lol) advantage and I prefer to try and stop a threat before it gets to my ladies.

Posting up is a smarter plan for most though I think.

I think anybody with family in other rooms has got to do due diligence of clearing the house. My plan works for us because all the kids are grown and we are the only ones in the home.

Both my wife and I have handguns ready to go in our nightstands. Mine is a Judge... 5 shots. I keep it in case I don't hear noise right away and get surprised while still in bed. Otherwise, there is a closet with a swing door, and my 7+1 Mossberg 500 is mounted right there. The wife will make 911 call, she will also be armed, we get behind the bed for good viewpoint, and what will be will be.

I do have an AR pistol if I really feel the need to investigate... not ruling anything out really. :D

Last Edited:
I don't think this is "Ghost loading" as that is with a chamber full, 1 on the elevator, and loaded magazine. I think only certain semi-autos can do that, like the Benelli.

Someone else was confused on another forum thinking I'm discussing empty chamber, full magazine only, such as hiking or Cruiser Ready.

For clarity, I'm discussing STORING shotgun ready, not hiking with a shotgun.

A similar technique is commonly known as "Cruiser Ready." Cruiser Ready: How to Safely Store a Loaded Shotgun

I'm describing a storage option - let's call it "Cruiser Plus" where it's "Cruiser Ready" but with the action open and an EXTRA shell sitting on the elevator so the throw is faster and simplier - just forward. This would seem to add +1 capacity over Cruiser Ready, and also be easier/faster.

As described, with the action opened and a shell sitting on the elevator you run the risk of the shell rattling around and dropping out through the ejection port, or worse getting hung up half way hanging out the port if you're wrangling the weapon from storage before you close the action....

My go-to home defense shotgun is a 18.5" Mossberg-930. 7+1+1 of 00-buck stored in condition one. Nine rounds in a VERY useable configuration, and with a quick flick of the (reliable) tang-safety it's ready to rumble!

o_O

D899A97B-4002-4298-97E4-0ACDD59543DE.jpeg

Then there's three M500's "cruiser ready" should further persuasion be required... we don't combat reload around here.

:D

0D6DF427-320F-4B13-8019-61F577AC70B2.jpeg

I also wonder 'bout the shell not feeding properly if the shotgun is "loaded" by the method described in the OP...
With that said I have not done this...so I can't say for sure...I'll have to get some snap caps to try this method out.

For now...I just keep this one with the magazine loaded , but the chamber empty...this may not be ideal for every one , but its how I have kept a "house shotgun" since forever , so it works for me...
Andy
DSC06837.jpg

I keep my shotgun underloaded by one round and keep the chamber empty that way I don't have to worry about replacing my magazine tube springs. I do not do any sort of ghost loading or keeping the shotgun action open either. I have a few spare tube springs as well well but have not had to use them yet. I do keep two shot shell that I will grab if I have time but I have 6 round side saddle as well. So 5 + 6 by default. I will load two more shells if I have time so 6 + 1 is the maximum capacity for my SLP.

My SLP is a lot quieter when I pull the charging handle back compared to my pump action shotguns that makes a racking sound. I do practice reloading from my side saddle at the range as well.

I pull out my shotgun from my safe, unload it and check for barrel rust which I have never seen. I put an oily patch through the barrel every few months. If I shoot them, then I clean them when I get home. If I don't time for a thorough cleaning, I put few cleaning patches though the barrel with CLP and put a few dry patches through the barrel as well. Then I load my shotgun with fresh shells and put my shotgun back it my safe.

So I played around with loading and storing my two 870's* this way...
It worked , but I wonder if in the long term , debris might get in the chamber and cause a failure....
Andy
* One 870 is a 20 gauge from 1962...the other one is a 12 gauge from 1981...a newer Wingmaster or "Express" model may produce different results...

So I played around with loading and storing my two 870's* this way...
It worked , but I wonder if in the long term , debris might get in the chamber and cause a failure....
Andy
* One 870 is a 20 gauge from 1964...the other one is a 12 gauge from 1981...a newer Wingmaster or "Express" model may produce different results...

Awesome.

I guess the question about debris is determined how it's going to be stored. Closed gun cabinet, or dirty corner of an old shed or barn? Light dust shouldn't effect the performance. But a nest of spiders and carcasses in the firing pin area might I suppose.

I envision it being more safe, against firing if it tips over somehow (earthquake, perhaps, could cause loaded guns in cabinets to fall over and fire?). And when you retrieve it, it won't fire in the excitement if you snag or pull the trigger accidentally. But as you retrieve it and have a solid grip, you slide the pump forward.

It's just a consideration or option for storage.

I also wonder 'bout the shell not feeding properly if the shotgun is "loaded" by the method described in the OP...
With that said I have not done this...so I can't say for sure...I'll have to get some snap caps to try this method out.

For now...I just keep this one with the magazine loaded , but the chamber empty...this may not be ideal for every one , but its how I have kept a "house shotgun" since forever , so it works for me...
Andy
View attachment 553873
I keep my shotgun underloaded by one round and keep the chamber empty that way I don't have to worry about replacing my magazine tube springs. I do not do any sort of ghost loading or keeping the shotgun action open either. I have a few spare tube springs as well well but have not had to use them yet. I do keep two shot shell that I will grab if I have time but I have 6 round side saddle as well. So 5 + 6 by default. I will load two more shells if I have time so 6 + 1 is the maximum capacity for my SLP.

My SLP is a lot quieter when I pull the charging handle back compared to my pump action shotguns that makes a racking sound. I do practice reloading from my side saddle at the range as well.

I pull out my shotgun from my safe, unload it and check for barrel rust which I have never seen. I put an oily patch through the barrel every few months. If I shoot them, then I clean them when I get home. If I don't time for a thorough cleaning, I put few cleaning patches though the barrel with CLP and put a few dry patches through the barrel as well. Then I load my shotgun with fresh shells and put my shotgun back it my safe.
That what he said except my 870 is behind the curtain between my nightstand and bed. Three in the mag tube, six in a stock side saddle and an empty chamber with the hammer uncocked. I like the sound of a shell being chambered, intruders do not. My goal is not to shoot my refrigerator :eek: or someone in the house but to prevent them from shooting me or mine. My Blue Heeler will hear him/them before I do and while him/they are dealing with her I'll have plenty of time to rack a round and probably to fill my mag tube as well. If stealth is indicated the click of the safety on my .45 is pretty inaudible (at least to my old ears:rolleyes:).
Semper Fi

I store mine with a loaded magazine chamber empty and hammer depressed. The clunky sounds it makes remind me that it is ready to pump so I don't have to depressed the slide release. Safety comes on if not about to fire. I like to load into the open action when I practice with it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top