JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use metal ammo cans bought at Harbor Freight, they frequently are on sale...
If I were more focused on a less expensive option, I would reuse 1 gallon plastic sealable containers...
Living in a humid environment, I do use large desiccant packs in my containers of ammo or reloading component and replace them when the color changes. I dry and reuse the desiccant packs by placing them in an oven.

I store most of my reloads in these-

And fancy reloads, in the MTM smaller ammo boxes. AC4C-A-400_400x.jpg

My loads are good. They are the same ones I have been shooting for years. With the way my progressives are set up you just change whole plates and things stay consistent.

I do not write directly on my cans. I use painters tape and write on that. Over the years things have bene changed.

I'm out of almost every ammo I load for.

However, when I am on top of my reloading game:

Specific rifle calibers where I may have 100-200 rounds loaded are in MTM boxes.
Pistol rounds in Ammo cans
223 rounds in magazines and loose in ammo cans.
Non 223/556 AR15 ammo is usually stored in magazines and MTM boxes.
I've had ~500 308/7.62 rounds in MTM boxes, and that gets stupid crowded. Next time I load that many, into an ammo can they go.

I saw a stack of Ammo cans (I'd say about medium size) with a sign at the top reading 25 or 26 something, I was shocked,
Yesterday I was at Cabela's, it has been so long since I'd used their credit card that it was going to be cancelled. So I went in and bought a box of .22 LR. While there, I saw they had a big stack of GI 50cal ammo cans, $19.95 each.

The only 7mm rifle bullets on the shelf were some of those very fancy Hornadys, $99.95 for a box of 100. Otherwise, no 7mm.

You can often times find several empty cartridge boxes at the range and re-purpose them.
I've done this too. only downside is a lack of unformity. Unless you hold out for same brand.

For 9mm, I've used cottage cheese containers when I've run short of other options. But these days, I don't keep as much ammo around as I used to. I finally realized that I wasn't likely to need thousands of rounds for any single event.

I use MTM boxes for some of my rifle reloads, factory 20 round boxes for others, and a couple of new plastic or "real" 30 Cal ammo cans for others. Pistol reloads are in MTM or other boxes, sometimes factory 50 round boxes with inserts.

Just for fun I saved a few of these for 223/5.56 ammo. They really do work well. :D

velveeta.jpg

IMHO………
It would depend on how much shooting you're planning.

Huh?

OK, Ok, ok……. Say it this way. IF……you should not be able to shoot it…….what happens? Will your heirs be willing to shoot your reloaded ammo? Or are they the kind of people that "would never" shoot someone else's reloads. Hummm?

Plan on selling some?

Good luck.

So then maybe, a better plan would be to load "enough" for what I may realistically anticipate. Yeah, store that reloaded ammo into ammo cans. But then…….

Store components for making cartridges. Yeah, I might change my "loads" or maybe I could trade components for some _____________ . Yeah, did we learn something from the latest episode of the ammo famine?

Aloha, Mark

Since we are limited on the amount we can hold at any time, I find it easy to store my reloads in MTM 50 boxes. Usually have, or try to retain, two of each, except for the .45-70 Govt, which holds a 100, and the Snider, that holds 24. .22cal stays in the brick after filling up the range box, which hold two unopened 50s and another 50 on each side lined up in 10x5s.

I CAN hold 800 7.5x55 from the time when we could buy battle packs..................long time ago now though.................. :(

Since we are limited on the amount we can hold at any time, I find it easy to store my reloads in MTM 50 boxes. Usually have, or try to retain, two of each, except for the .45-70 Govt, which holds a 100, and the Snider, that holds 24. .22cal stays in the brick after filling up the range box, which hold two unopened 50s and another 50 on each side lined up in 10x5s.

I CAN hold 800 7.5x55 from the time when we could buy battle packs..................long time ago now though.................. :(
I am glad we are not limited to what we can keep on hand.

I am still shooting .308 for $0.20/rd, 7.62x39 for $0.09/rd and bulk 550 packs of .22 at an average of $12/box.

I like the MTM boxes for all my reloads but it has been quite a while since I have bought any. I like being able to quickly inspect all the primers on freshly loaded ammo and the MTM boxes are perfect for this. I usually buy my boxes from Midway in bulk packs when they are on sale. I think I have around 40 x 50 round 9mm MTM boxes, 20 x 45acp MTM boxes, 5 x 50ae boxes and 5 x 44mag MTM boxes. Some of my 9mm boxes are over 30 years old and still work just fine. I also have several for different caliber rifle ammo but not as many per caliber. I haven't really found a need to keep more reloads that this on hand. I have components for many more but one convert them into ammo when needed. I remember one time I loaded some 9mm rounds too long because I didn't read my calibers correctly... the 9mm MTM box wouldn't close which was a dead giveaway that something was wrong.

I do store my 30-06 rounds for my M1 Garand and other military 30-06 rifles in 30cal ammo cans, it fits perfectly in there. It is almost like they made the ammo can just for them.

I used to store bulk 45 and 9mm in 50 cal ammo cans. I like having all my reloads labeled with the components and powder charges which the MTM cases are perfect for. When I do run out of MTM boxes... I know it is time to go to the range to free some of the boxes up. The MTM boxes do usually pack quite nicely and efficiently in a 50cal ammo can. I usually take one 50cal ammo can shooting with me filled with MTM boxes of different calibers for the guns I am taking with me. Ammo + guns is too heavy for a range bag when I go shooting so it is nice to carry the ammo separately in a single ammo can.

My .308 and .223 target rifles I have the 100 round lunch boxes which makes the ammo much easier to pull out of the boxes than the tightly packed MTM boxes. This is much nicer for use when shooting from a bench.

Last Edited:
I use MTM boxes for some of my rifle reloads, factory 20 round boxes for others, and a couple of new plastic or "real" 30 Cal ammo cans for others. Pistol reloads are in MTM or other boxes, sometimes factory 50 round boxes with inserts.

Just for fun I saved a few of these for 223/5.56 ammo. They really do work well. :D

View attachment 1318336
What do you do with the "cheese"?

I like having all my reloads labeled with the components and powder charges which the MTM cases are perfect for.
I should do better about this.

I only have a few loads that I use and they are all written in my primary load book.

If I have different loads in the same caliber I do this by marking the primers. For example my 9mm 115gr FMJ subsonic ammo that will only cycle in my integral 9mm AR have black primers. The load is written in my book with a black dot next to it. My 9mm 147gr JHP subsonic ammo that will cycle in everything has red primers, again with the load written in the book with a red dot next to it.

Trout fishing
Great for that. Back in the day. :D Didn't all trout fishermen back then have an opened box n the fridge with the foil wrap folded mostly tight? And, hey, I don't want to insult people that happen to like it. But Velveeta is just one of those things ya' know? We went for "The Gov" cheese back in the day, so. Yeah.

I am still shooting .308 for $0.20/rd, 7.62x39 for $0.09/rd and bulk 550 packs of .22 at an average of $12/box.
WOW.......
I don't have stuff that old.

BUT, But, but.......last night I got a surprise.
My son asked to buy some ammo from me. Only he wanted the "son price". Anyway, it's a far departure from his usual method of just appropriating the ammo out of my stockpile.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews