JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know about .223 but my .40 and .45 gets stored in Crown Royal Bags (Great Excuse to tell the wife why I need another fifth). I always get a few looks when I hit the gun range with my buddy.

Go to Bi-Mart or Sportsman's and buy a few of those plastic ammo cans, that should store .223 nicely.

I do have a couple of "Factory Ammo Boxes" around for my .35 Rem. (not enough though). :( My .223 is all reloaded G.I. brass and I've been keeping it in open ZipLoc bags in the large plastic Ammo boxes. :p I was hopping there might be a source of commercial type cardboard boxes around. :s0131: I have a couple of those 100 rnd. (range) carrying boxes, but I use them for loads I'm testing. :D

I think if your storing ammo for shtf then what better way then storing them in loaded 30rd magazines? My goal is to add 10 loaded magazines a year untill I need them!

Steven

If you have to move around in a SHTF situation, you are adding additional weight by storing your ammo supply in magazines. Depending on if and how (and a bunch of other factors) you move around, that added weight isn't necessarily your friend. Just something to consider.

I like mine on stripper clips and in cardboard sleeves. 3 strips per cardboard sleeve = 30 rounds or 1 magazine. With this size of can you can get 18 sleeves (540 rounds)

I put one layer of 7.62x39 across the bottom, 13 boxes @ 20 rounds = 260 rounds. This way I fill the box without having to lay sleeves on their side across the top. So my total round count per box is 800 rounds. (ps. make darn sure you put at least one stripper clip guide in per can as you will be so sorry if you had to grab a can and run and found yourself without one!)

If you do have a lot of different types of ammo I would recommend labels to help you remember. Myself I suffer from an incurable case ofCRS.

This shows the bottom of the can. (Not sure if the bottom rib in the ammo can bothers anyone else but I did find a simple fix with cardboard so you can stack boxes inside and make them flat)

This is the template I found a couple years back that you can use to make your own cardboard sleeves (but that is a whole other subject)

I also like my SHTF cans and label them accordingly

Inside I can fit 10 loaded magazines and a couple boxes of better than average ammo.

Myself I prefer Chrome Silicon springs but I really don’t think it makes that much difference (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=603)

Anyway, for what it’s worth, ammo storage that works for me.

Thanks JohnH,:s0155:

I like your ideas:) Only one problem though, you forgot to show the wheels on the bottoms of those ammo cans.:p I have the green plastic ones Cabela's ships in and when I put 1,000 rnds. of 7.62x39 in one I couldn't lift it.:( Maybe I should get smaller cans. :confused:

Would you P.M me a copy of your sleeve dementions?

Last Edited:
Thanks JohnH,:s0155:

I like your ideas:) Only one problem though, you forgot to show the wheels on the bottoms of those ammo cans.:p I have the green plastic ones Cabela's ships in and when I put 1,000 rnds. of 7.62x39 in one I couldn't lift it.:( Maybe I should get smaller cans. :confused:

Would you P.M me a copy of your sleeve dementions?

They are not that heavy (of course not light either) Keep in mind you only have 260 rounds of 7.62 and 540 rounds of 5.56. Problem is with smaller cans they don't hold near enough in my opinion. The only thing I’ll use a 30 cal. can if for belted ammo for my 1919.

Problem is with smaller cans they don't hold near enough in my opinion. The only thing I’ll use a 30 cal. can if for belted ammo for my 1919.

Yep, I agree with you whole heartedly! If you need to grab a big can of ammo, a .50 caliber can is just about right.
I use .30's sparingly.. .50's on the other hand, are piled to the ceiling.
Yes, they need to be labeled. It's a pain going through umpteen cans looking for the right one.
Everything goes into a can of some sort eventually.
I stored ammo in those nice plastic boxes until I ran out of them. Being frugal, I went to alternatives. I used the bags I got new brass in, and ran out of them. Then I went to ziploc baggies for up to 100 rounds.
Those plastic, screw top Dole jars that fruit comes in work super well for pistol/revolver ammo!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Personally, I have about 1100 rounds of 223 in a fat .5o cal can, and is it heavy? Heck yeah it is, but I wouldn't have it any other way. If anybody tries to steal my safe, they better bring a forklift!!! If I can find some strippers to replace all the remington boxes, I will get even more in that can! Why does remington waste so much space on packaging anyway? Another option for storage that I use for my .22lr is one of the tall plastic jars from the pub mix at Costco. I still haven't filled it up yet, but I bet I will get 5k rounds in that thing. You know what I'm talkin about.....

:s0155:

I just bought 100 .223 stripper clips on e-bay and I'm watching ones for 7.62x39. :s0131: After that I'll put them into JohnH's Sleeves and go from there. Depending on what happens, :p I may also vacuum seal 1000 rnds. :s0155: In another few months I hope to be reloading .458 SoCom :D I just love my Lego Block Rifle. :winkkiss:

Another option for storage that I use for my .22lr is one of the tall plastic jars from the pub mix at Costco.

I hate to even share this one (people might think I'm crazy) but I stock pile the 100 round trays (everyone throws away) shown in picture and then have my boys (these are the 2 younger of my 3) fill the trays instead of storing the bulk cardboard boxes. They have a lot of fun doing it and only the youngest (on the left) can't shoot yet. Then take a fat 50 cal ammo can and those trays fit perfectly inside sideways!! I forget how many I can stack but it is a lot!

fillingboxes.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads