JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just store my reloads in 30 cal ammo cans. Thats how they sell them from ammoman.com if you go to the gun shows, and it is after all an ammo can(sealed with a rubber gasket)

I managed to get around 1280 rounds of 223 on strippers into one 50cal can. it weighs about 30lbs, but not unmanageable. I say put it on strippers and put it in a can with a desiccant and enjoy later. I have been thinking about vaccum bagging it to make my own battle packs, but if done incorrectly it could be a major PITA if it takes a weird shape. You can also do the mylar bag with an O2 absorber + desiccant, but I am not sure how the chemicals in the absorber would react with the ammo. Would be fun to experiment with that one as the mylar bags would hold up for a lot longer time and they are impermeable where are the foodsaver bags will still eventually let stuff through (like almost all plastics).

Better to place the ammo in the baggies and/or ammo can on a low humidity day so as not to trap atmospheric moisture that can condense if the bag or can is exposed to cold. Open the ammo can on a warm, dry day once or twice a year to check the silica gel and allow any accumulated moisture to escape.

You can get silica gel on e-bay that changes color to let you know it has absorbed its fill of water - you can put them out in the sun or in an oven on low to dry them out and reuse them again. I use them for storing flour, rice, etc.

I managed to get around 1280 rounds of 223 on strippers into one 50cal can. it weighs about 30lbs, but not unmanageable. I say put it on strippers and put it in a can with a desiccant and enjoy later. I have been thinking about vaccum bagging it to make my own battle packs, but if done incorrectly it could be a major PITA if it takes a weird shape. You can also do the mylar bag with an O2 absorber + desiccant, but I am not sure how the chemicals in the absorber would react with the ammo. Would be fun to experiment with that one as the mylar bags would hold up for a lot longer time and they are impermeable where are the foodsaver bags will still eventually let stuff through (like almost all plastics).

Ok I reorganized my .50 cal can of .223. I also have 1280 rounds, but not all on strippers. I have 1100 boxed rounds, and 180 on strippers lining the top. I put it on the bathroom scale, and it weighs in at --- are you ready ---a whopping 41.4 lbs! Ok now that is not really that heavy, is it, especially if your adrenaline is pumping overtime as the SHTF?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top