Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Storing guns in garage?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Bushman, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Bushman

Bushman Auburn, WA Well-Known Member

I've stored a gun out there for a month with no signs of rust.

I do check on it once every two weeks to see how it is doing but so far no rust.

First two weeks it was not lubed. No rust. I decided to lube it just in case. Two weeks later still no rust.

Wondering what others experiences have been.

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

How much is the gun worth?

3. Bushman

Bushman Auburn, WA Well-Known Member

Depends on current AR prices lololololol

4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

In my safe in the basement, one has been there for 20 years and no cleaning and no rust. In fact it's my old .22 that I bought when I was 12 and that's 44 years ago.

5. jbett98

I would invest in a gun storage bag by ProTecht or ZCORR.
    They are fairly inexpensive, around $15.00 or less and take the uncertainty out of whether rust will rear it's ugly head in the near future.

6. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you park your car in your garage, I'd say not a good idea.
    My drill press and vice have a micro layer of rust because of humidity off the cars.

7. mortar maggot

mortar maggot western wa Active Member

By time you see rust it will be too late.

8. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My dad got scared because people were breaking into houses out in the country when the owners were at work. So he took a couple of his rifles and put then behind sheets of plywood leaning up against the studs on the inside of the garage. Well some mositure collected on the inside of the wall and ran down onto the barrel of one of his rifles.

And cost him about 20% of the value of his Winchester model 1895 now days its up to about a 25% loss.

Instead of a $3000.00 Deluxe Rifle with A+ wood and a Lyman #21 receiver sight in 30-40Krag its a $2200-2300.00 rifle. It used to be in about 95% condition.

So I would seriously look after any firearm left outside of a cool dry place. Garages tend to have drastic temp changes the results of which can be condensation on cool metal. Not a good idea.

9. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

If it is worth allot of $$$ & means something to you just buck up and take care of it properly. How hard can that be?

10. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

Garage storage can go either way in my opinion. I have done it but wouldn't again unless I had to. Stable temps and low humidity are the keys. If I had to store on in a garage it would be inside some sort of cabinet or safe with a light and dehumidifier.

11. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Had a Liberty Safe in the Garage for a few years with no problems. Stored a knife with leather scabbard in the dresser drawer and sure enough had corrosion on it. I did find an old rifle in the rafters of an old barn/shed. Poor thing is rusted completely tight and the wood stock is worthless.
    Good luck, stay safe and may God bless us all,
    Mike

12. CascadeSam

CascadeSam Portland Oregon Active Member

A friend of mine in Vancouver stored his guns in the garage. He later found the first indications of rust on many of his guns. No more garage storage for his guns.

13. jbett98

"I did find an old rifle in the rafters of an old barn/shed. Poor thing is rusted completely tight and the wood stock is worthless."

Don't give up on that old rusty firearm yet.
    Look up on YouTube on how to de-rust steel using a car battery charger, plastic tub and some Arm & Hammer Super Soda Washing agent.

I was given an old Colt SA pistol that was completely froze up with rust and after one day in the tub running the charger at 3 amps, I pulled the pistol out of the solution and I could cock and pull the trigger. The barrel was trashed, but all of the screws turned easily and I parted it out and sold all but the frame on eBay for over $200.00.

14. mwiding

mwiding Vanouver, WA Member

Zcorr Bags are the best way store any firearm or metal item. Their protection can last for years
    and they are reusable. I sell the bags from my home and I do most of the local (Ptld -Vanc-Puyallup) gun shows
    Call me and I can provide you or anyone a price list.
    Thanks, Marc

Liberty Solutions
    360-901-3454

15. jbett98

I bought a new digital humidity/temperature meter on eBay for less then $6.00, and that included free shipping.
    Every time I open my safe, I know exactly what the temp/humidity is.

16. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

I suppose even using the cheap silicone bags would help when storing your rifles outside of a controlled environmental.

I am a big fan of locking up all rifle and handguns in a nice secure safe with a humidifier inside if in the garage, same in the house unless its your defensive weapon that you need to have quick access to. Long term storage I like to put a light coat of RIG gun grease in the barrel and outside of my rifles and handguns.

Its just too easy for someone to break into an outside car and use your remote to get into your garage or use one of those devices that manages to find your garage opener code and pop your door open.

17. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

A small safe or foam taped cabinet with a few if the 25cu-ft desiccants I
    paired with a little oil on the firearms and mags/knives/bayonets does the trick. A golden rod in a damp garage inside a safe works well. One thing I haven't tried, a small battery operated fan inside a safe or cabinet to generate airflow.. Some say that works as well, I've never tried it. Everything metal of mine I've ever left to the elements in a garage or even a closet somewhat closeto a bathroom/boiler room gain a fine layer of rust after not too long.. And once its found its way onto your firearm or mags it'll get worse if neglected. Definitely drops the value of your firearm down.

18. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

I know a person who keeps his safe in the garage. He couldn't get the huge safe in his house, so he had no choice. He keeps desiccant bags in the safe with no rust issues that I know. Windows have been barred, the garage door has been pad locked from the inside. He also reloads in his garage, also with no issues.