JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know if this is a bad idea? I prefer the idea of hidden storage over a safe. Safe's can be broken into given enough time, and from what I've read, some people have had theirs carried away (I know they should be bolted down but still).

This brings me to the idea of storing stuff in the attic. Perhaps in PVC for guns, while ammo ang mags could be in a trunk locker from the store.

Things I'm concerned about:

-Guns rusting up there in the winter.
-Heat degrading the polymer mags, frames, etc.
-Unknowns, having never done this I am not sure what else might happen.

There are two types of attics.

1. Open to the outside air attic: Bad idea to store guns here, they will deteroriate over time.

2. Closed to the outside air attic: Ok to store here as long as the temp and humidity are kept stable. Gun metal should be coated in a preservative that won't drip or run off. Cosmoline is one of the best. Rig is good...Don't store in thick cases, but breathable dust covers are ok. Inside plastic is ok if coated with protection and if a desicant is included in the package. Extreem temp swings will cause rusting so avoid.

I've considered a safe, but over the years I've seen A LOT of posts on gun boards where the gun safe was carried off or otherwise broken into even when bolted to the floor.

The idea behind hidden storage is out of sight, out of mind. A safe attracts major attention that says, "Hey, I got important and expensive bubblegum in here!"

Granted your average thief won't go there, but neither a pro nor a smash and grab thief is going to steal what they don't know is there.

I like the idea of "out of sight out of mind" I'm not a big fan of a safe in most situations(too much of a target) That said I wouldn't keep guns or ammo in my attic. Too much temp fluctuation and moisture for long term storage.

heck if your going to bury and drywall and all that kind of stuff you might as well sell it and have the money for it. buried is no use to anyone. they win either way if you do that:s0154:

I've considered a safe, but over the years I've seen A LOT of posts on gun boards where the gun safe was carried off or otherwise broken into even when bolted to the floor.

The idea behind hidden storage is out of sight, out of mind. A safe attracts major attention that says, "Hey, I got important and expensive bubblegum in here!"

Granted your average thief won't go there, but neither a pro nor a smash and grab thief is going to steal what they don't know is there.

You've got to get creative! Get a big safe, and bolt it to the floor. If someone manages to get my safe out of my house, they deserve it. I built a closet around it, and the damn thing weighs 900 lbs dry and I've probably got another 1500 pounds inside the damn thing. On top of being bolted into my 2nd floor joists.

I think you should consider a safe. Sure if you hide it in the attic or in some maxi box it most likely wont get found, but lets say some doper burglar does get his hands on and smokes someone. Then what will you say when asked, "well sir why was your firearm not secured or locked away?". I would rather have gear be a target or whatever in a safe and know that I am doing what I can to be responsible and keep my items secure to the best I can.

I think you should consider a safe. Sure if you hide it in the attic or in some maxi box it most likely wont get found, but lets say some doper burglar does get his hands on and smokes someone. Then what will you say when asked, "well sir why was your firearm not secured or locked away?". I would rather have gear be a target or whatever in a safe and know that I am doing what I can to be responsible and keep my items secure to the best I can.

This is the topic I think the media should be attacking instead of guns in general. I personally believe if you have guns, you are responsible for those guns! I'm about as right wing as someone gets, but I believe that if you have guns and don't protect those guns from (your kids, thiefs, etc...) your as guilty as the person who steals that gun or takes it and does something horrible with it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top