JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My only input is WAC 296-52-71045

(1) Private residence or car.

• Twenty-five pounds or less of small arms smokeless powder, no restrictions

• Twenty-five to fifty pounds of small arms smokeless powder, they must be stored in a strong box or cabinet constructed of a minimum of 3/4-inch plywood or equivalent material, on all sides, top, and bottom

;)

Iam just wondering because I just bought a new gun safe & a friend of mine says if there is a fire,even tho its fire safe for 30 minutes That,IF by chance it did go off,it would be worse in the safe than on a shelf,

I store my powder in one of those locking sheet metal gun cabinets from Homak or Stack-On. I drilled half a dozen 1/2" holes in it so that if the powder cooks off the gas has someplace to escape and doesn't build enough pressure to blow the thing up.

First off smokeless powder does not "go off", it burns creating gas pressure. It is contained that pressure can build up and hopefully the container is either vented or can contain the pressure. Mine simply sets on the shelf if I have a fire that area will be hot, but I want the pressure to escape.............

In a house fire you can easily tell if what is burning is smokeless, black powder or ammo cooking off.

I would avoid storing powder in a contained area with firearms. Smokeless powder, contrary to what many believe, is NOT "non-corrosive" in the strictest sense. Although modern powder cannisters are pretty much air tight, I would not put anything in a confined space with my firearms that could go airborne and create even a mildly corrosive atmosphere.
On the other hand, I heard a B.S. story from somebody one time that said he put an open tray of a pound of Black Powder in the bottom of his gunsafe as a sure detriment to anybody utilizing a torch or cutoff saw on his safe. This scenario creates a somewhat pleasing visual.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top