JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Constant temperature is more important than physical temperature... that's why goldenrods or similar heaters work. Temperature swings cause moisture to condense on the surface of the guns. I always try to keep the safe open for as little amount of time as possible to keep the temp constant.

I have a 12" Goldenrod running in mine along with a Eva-dry E-500 dehumidifier in my 31 cubit foot safe. I never remember to look at the temp, but it keeps the Rh at about 50% all the time.

Check the seals around your safe door. If you don't hear a whooshing sound when closing the door, your factory seal is letting moisture in.
Most safes have a reactive seal that swells up and protects the contents, but does a poor job of keeping out air laden moisture.
I ran an extra strip of common adhesive backed foam around the inner flange, and it made an airtight seal that stopped all infiltration.

Check the seals around your safe door. If you don't hear a whooshing sound when closing the door, your factory seal is letting moisture in.
Most safes have a reactive seal that swells up and protects the contents, but does a poor job of keeping out air laden moisture.
I ran an extra strip of common adhesive backed foam around the inner flange, and it made an airtight seal that stopped all infiltration.

Those seals are designed to expand when heated like in a fire. Keeping the air out is dandy... just till you open the door and then that dang air just gets in there again! I'm sure the foam idea isn't horrible but it doesn't take the place of a goldenrod or desiccant if you decide you need to go to that extent.

Those seals are designed to expand when heated like in a fire. Keeping the air out is dandy... just till you open the door and then that dang air just gets in there again! I'm sure the foam idea isn't horrible but it doesn't take the place of a goldenrod or desiccant if you decide you need to go to that extent.

I have a Goldenrod, but it does little good if a faulty seal lets the cold air wick in at the bottom and the warmer air draft out the top.

I agree to some degree... just saying thats not what those seals are for. I certainly will not disagree that a better seal is probably more effective... except in the case when you might put something that is humid inside.. then you might run into problems with too good of a seal.

I agree to some degree... just saying thats not what those seals are for. I certainly will not disagree that a better seal is probably more effective... except in the case when you might put something that is humid inside.. then you might run into problems with too good of a seal.

That's what the desiccant is for.

You actually do not want an airtight seal. You want air to be able to flow. Then if you do your job and the temperature inside the safe is warmer (even by a small amount) than outside the safe you are golden.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top