JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, in my little city we have already escalated to broad daylight grand theft auto. 96de7de56fd52f53c54461c3a80b30ef.jpg

Seems to me living long enough to get in trouble beats the alternative.

As I understand, a "transfer" is to be giving them the firearms, so to speak. Am I overthinking this? If that's the case, could I technically not go to the house, grab a gun, and go to the range?
When it comes to transfers per Orygun law, it is possession where you are not in immediate control of the firearm, whether it is intended as a loan, sale or just for safekeeping - it is all the same. So you don't need to sell or gift them the firearms, you can just place the firearms in their residence for safekeeping.

That said, I personally would think hard about how much you trust these family members and any person who may have access to the firearms, especially with the new law (SB554). Do these family members have minors in the house? Do they ever have others over to visit? Do they have a safe with enough room to store your firearms?

You may want to think about putting a safe there if they don't have one with enough room for your firearms.

I trust my brothers and I trust my kids, and maybe some others (a couple of cousins), but the rest of my family I only maybe trust enough to put a safe in their home, and some I don't trust at all.

Then as I just learned, you will have to do a background check to get them all back.
You are idiot if you do this, you will have to pay to get YOUR property back.

How does a licensee handle the sale of a consignment firearm?

Firearms received for sale on consignment must be entered in the licensee's acquisition and disposition record. The sale of a consignment firearm is handled in the same manner as other firearm sales.

Return of any consigned firearms by the licensee to the consignor must be entered in the licensee's disposition record. An ATF Form 4473 and a NICS check must be completed prior to the return of such firearms. Reference
OK, so you have to go through a background check to get back your property. Still a pretty cheap process overall.

That would be a sale, yes?
Gun shops have experienced this shenanigan, and would recognize you as one more of these schmucks. Don't be surprised if the transfer fee, per gun, is an exorbitant one that no one in their right mind would pay.
Wanna have fun with it?
You drop guns off for consignment. FFL holder dies next day from choking on a ham sammich. Within the week, ATF comes and collects books, and your firearms are in limbo.

Gun shops have experienced this shenanigan, and would recognize you as one more of these schmucks. Don't be surprised if the transfer fee, per gun, is an exorbitant one that no one in their right mind would pay.
Wanna have fun with it?
You drop guns off for consignment. FFL holder dies next day from choking on a ham sammich. Within the week, ATF comes and collects books, and your firearms are in limbo.

Putting guns on consignment in a LGS or pawn shop is the last thing I would do.

If any of the guns were off the books, once they go into a shop and the owner gives up physical possession (for gunsmith work, or storage, or whatever) and leaves the shop, the guns have to go into the shops FFL records, serial numbers, etc. - and eventually the ATF will have a record of them, along with the state. This is regardless of which state you live in.

Wanna have fun with it?

That does sound exciting but if ya want the big money a private sale in a true private sale State is where the profits are--of course we know the atf frowns on non-licensed folks making a profit on their guns

I have some guns no longer welcomed by the state of CA, I put a safe at a friends house in a more friendly state! I do not have to transfer them to him. He has only given me a place to park my safe! The guns are still mine and under my control!

Or you can change your billing address to the grandparents. Aka its now your residence. You can change your address at the DMV. Boom 100% legally. You "live there, its not a transfer

That is, if you actually give 2 sh1ts what the .gov thinks.

In the worlds of bill clinton, dont ask, dont tell. How will anyone know its there?

Not suppose to "transfer" to others, even family member, from an other state without going through an FFL.
The guns are in a safe and not transferred to another person. The OP is simply stored the safe in a secure location. It is no different legally from the OP storing the safe in a storage facility. As long as the OP is the only person that can open the safe without breaking into it. Also, at the time of placing the safe at the friends property, he may have been a resident of that state?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top