JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So it seems like you can save a ton of space by dumping 9 mil into containers, instead of storing them in paper boxes. If you are using desicant are there any concerns with long term storage like this.

Well, there probably wasn't any dessicant in any of the boxes the ammo came in, so I'm going to say with the extra protection you're adding, your ammo will be fine. I have purchased bulk packed 223 and 9mm , neither of which were packed with dessicant and they were in great shape, years after I bought them.
Ammo is pretty tough. You and it should be fine.

Last Edited:
I have used Costco nut containers and large mayo containers for years. I get about 250 rounds of .45 ACP into a plastic Costco nut container. It seems to work just fine. Burned off some 2013 vintage a month ago. No problems.

Nope! Its exactly how I store a lot of my ammo. During this panic and the last I pulled long term stored ammo and there were zero issues. Just make sure the container is well sealed.

Its over kill, but I Also take a bit of paper towel and place it on the bottom, I then fill the container then I use a little piece of cardboard with a desiccant tapped to it and place that on the top of the ammo before sealing.

I try to keep the ammo in the factory packages. Until I'm certain that I'll be using it within a reasonable time frame.

Why?

Because factory packaged ammo is easier to sell, if/when money is short and I need to sell.

Aloha, Mark

I try to keep the ammo in the factory packages. Until I'm certain that I'll be using it within a reasonable time frame.

Why?

Because factory packaged ammo is easier to sell, if/when money is short and I need to sell.

Aloha, Mark
That's a good point, but if space is at a premium, then consolidation is the best option.

Some ammo boxes are packed so tight that pulling them out isn't less space. S&B and magtech both have boxes like this. For guys who reload, saving those boxes help store reloads better also because they can be packaged and labeled for later use easily. I can'y stand ammo sold in overly large boxes. Completely unnecessary.

I'll add my method. I'm like Mark, generally like keeping ammo in original packaging, but I like putting the boxes in the mtm ammo crates.

506293.png

Before I go out to the range, I'll unbox and put them in a standard ammo can

I keep my mags loaded though:s0105:

That's a good point, but if space is at a premium, then consolidation is the best option.
One thing I learned the hard way. I dump factory ammo into containers to save space but, I tear off enough of the box to ID what it is. Used to buy a lot of that Win Steel case 9mm because it was cheaper. I would dump it into containers then use it as needed. I got into some stuff that had real problems. Since I had no way to know which lot it came from I ended up tossing it all as I could not trust it and some of what it was doing scared me.

I have ammo from the 60s. I have ammo that I recently bought.

I do what is necessary to put the ammo into the ammo containers I have - mostly plastic, some metal, but I do not intentionally take them out of the individual containers they come in - mostly cardboard. I have seen no difference between loose ammo and ammo in their original containers - stored improperly they can get corrosion on the brass surfaces. Stored properly, generally much less problems.

I have more containers than I can fill at the moment and I have about 50K rounds.

One thing i have found; the plastic containers like those from Plano, do not seal well. If the plastic container lifts from a handle on the lid, then the lid of the Planos shows gaps - if you subject them to rough use, then I am betting they won't last long.

MTM is better. Plano seems to be made of thinner plastic.

The 30 caliber sized containers do better than the larger sizes.

Metal - whether surplus or new - is a LOT better. Especially the good surplus/mil-spec ones.

Once you get the ammo in the plastic containers, then when you lift up the heavy container the lid seal has gaps in it. The larger the container the bigger the gap due to the weight. Metal containers, even the cheap ones, stay sealed.

Putting desiccant in the containers will help if the container stays sealed.

What I don't do is just store the ammo in cardboard boxes alone. If any moisture gets onto the box - say from a roof leaking or whatever, then that cardboard will disintegrate and the moisture will get onto the ammo. So put the boxes (or loose ammo) into something that is resistant to water getting inside.

The best storage I have come across is "body bags" - NATO 7.62x51ammo stored in 200 round rubber bags.

IMG_7249.jpg

I have ammo from the early 80s stored this way that is perfect. These are often stored in wooden crates.

I am going to take the ammo I stored in plastic "cans" (Plano and MTM) and take a moderate number of cartridge containers (cardboard boxes of ammo) and use my vacuum food sealer to protect the ammo in a vacuum sealed bag. I may buy some desiccant to use too. Then I will put that back into the plastic "ammo cans". I think from now on I will be buying mil-spec metal ammo cans - but I already have quite a few I have not used - I may transfer from the plastic to the metal until I run out.

At this point I don't anticipate buying a lot more ammo. I have most of what I need. I am still working on finding all of it, storing it in containers and inventorying it.

Not that you shouldn't take care in storing your ammo [I do with most].

But I'm still shooting up Grandads 30 carbine ammo from 1951. No problems after hundreds of rounds.

Believe me. They did not have the best of storage.
Loose in a cardboard box. In a closet on the humid California coast.

I keep them in a big glad lock bag now. There tuff.

Last Edited:
I found some loose .45 ACP ammo I had bought a couple years ago that were in a metal ammo can that had corrosion on them. Since they were ball ammo I shot them up. Once there is some corrosion on some ammo, it can spread to other ammo - just like spoiled food. In my experience anyway.

BTW - do NOT use Brasso on any ammo. It contains ammonia and that will cause problems with the strength of the brass.

I store my personal ammo in 50 cal ammo cans that I get from my local surplus store for 10 bucks a piece. Inside the ammo cans the ammo is in various plastic and cardboard containers. I don't worry about extreme long term storage because even the stuff I don't shoot much of get shot up and replaced every couple of years. I find it darned handy to grab this firearm and this ammo then head to the range. In fact today is a 38 Special/ 45 Colt and 9mm day.

Loose ammo for range/training in Milsurp ammo cans (good seals) with a desicant.

Same with charged magazines.

Some boxed ammo in ammo cans with a desicant, excess/overflow from loose packed stuff.

Cased ammo (boxes in the cases) in plywood shipping boxes on pallets, inside the the plywood box I've added in heavy mil plastic. Then wrap up the heavy mil plastic like a burrito. Large safe sized reusable dessicants inside the burrito. I recharge them as inventory is needed, or bi annually (depending).

I never store our ammo cans on cement, but on shelving off of cement, or in the house (go-to defensive stuff, up off of the cement pad). Reason being the cement pad "may" cause excess perspiration / moisture inside the cans, due to the possible temperature differences between the pad & ambient air. Just don't want to test if it would cause a problem, or not, long term.

FWIW, Ive fired ww1-era FA .45acp ammo, dunno how it was stored- and they all went off. Reloaded the casings no issues to boot... Upon reflection I should have sold the stuff to a collector...
As to storage, keep the ammo off a cement floor, as the cement draws moisture. Pallets work great, allows air circulation underneath.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top